Hacking Wii External Hard drive Loading for Mods

knowhate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this idea from my old modded xbox that has the much popular & convenient xbox media center. This thing has become my priceless all in one media/entertainment center (i.e.: xbox, nes, snes, sega, etc. games & the many many movies & tv show files). Basically - I just cannot live without it anymore - it is more of an entertainment enlightenment for me. (sorry for the rambling)

Within it, is an upgraded 500GB harddrive that I had put in a year ago which has, of course, all the media files & game files.

My question to you guys is whether something like this could ever be possible for the Wii?

I am not so much worried about having a media center for the Wii (playing movies, tv shows), because I already have the xbox for that, but I would like to know whether it is possible to strap an external 2.5" Notebook Hard drive to the Wii via the TWO USB slots on back ( I've tested this - the Hard drive receives power & does spin.) and pre-loading it with Wii games, & possibly homebrews, & playing them? Could this ever be possible?

This would be a great convenience when it comes to loading/unloading backup games straight from the computer, rather than burning them each time to play. (I hate the burning process). So...

Would this ever be possible on the Wii?

Would this be possible through any of the current Wii Modifications?

What exactly would one have to do to get this to work?

Would a complimentary software have to be written for the current wii mods for the games/homebrew on Hard drive to be accessible? What would be the difficulty factor in doing this be?

Do you think the Wii would need to be rewired to load & play games through the TWO USB ports?
(I'm not sure what kind of data transfer rate is needed for the Wii to play games off Hard drive & whether the Two USB ports working in tandem would suffice that need. Although, that would be easy to test.)

If an external solution is not possible, would it be possible, theoretically at least, to rewire & upgrade the internal flash memory to hook into a harddrive?

I'm new to the Wii homebrew scene, so any input & greater knowledge in this field would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for the essay...

Thanks
cheers!

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Too hungover to read all that...

But I believe that in theory, now the wii has been hacked for hombrew etc, launching stuff from external drives etc maybe possible, just not yet.

As for the rest f the stuff you mention, probably.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
just skimmed over your post (sorry
tongue.gif
)

basically you can't do that with any equipment yet, however it seems a reasonable guess that it could be introduced in the future.

on the other hand Gamecube games can be loaded from SD cards using an apllication called SD-Boot (i think thats the filename), with an SD Gecko.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i saw on qj.net dat they had hacked the wii and dat they could make a linux channel is this true?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
well, some people did hack it and produce a demo as proof of concept.

in an interview they did say they would like to see a linux channel added.

however nothing has been released, so no public wii development has begun yet.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
emu kidd made a program that allows you to boot GC isos off an SD gecko to play on wii. i forget the name. google emu kidd and gc sd load or something aand you will probably find it.

Reactions: NoobNeutralizer

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awhile ago there was a USBGecko that was gonna come out, but it looks like it got abandoned since it was 5 months ago and was supposed to be released awhile ago

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, the USB ports are powered when the Wii is on! (Sarcasm)

And no, no one knows whether it's even theoretically possible or not.

Don't tell me "The Wii is hacked, it's theoretically possible." We just don't know anything yet.

knowhate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay cool. Thank guys for the responses.

Basically it seems the homebrew scene needs a bit more development to see if this is possible.
(why cant these game corporations just do this kinda logical stuff in the first place!?)

Time to wait -& hope for the best
cheers

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
just skimmed over your post (sorry
tongue.gif
)

basically you can't do that  with any equipment yet, however it seems a reasonable guess that it could be introduced in the future.

on the other hand Gamecube games can be loaded from SD cards using an apllication called SD-Boot (i think thats the filename), with an SD Gecko.

fixed my original post.

I was talking about Gamecube Games not GBA games lol.

And i was talking about SD-boot too
tongue.gif
(although i wasn't proactive enuogh to get links to the tehksheen thread)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night