Hacking Wii does not recognize component cables and wont go to 480p

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem with my wii and maybe someone who is very familiar with the wii can offer help

component cables will not work with my wii - the wii does not switch to progressive scan and doesnt go to 480p when I plug the cables in

now I have another wii, and I plug it in the same setup and cables and it works, but this wii does not

the first wii I have has been heavily modded - is it possible a mod could have made 480p not work? if so what are possible solutions to directly force the wii into 480p mode instead of always 480i

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem with my wii and maybe someone who is very familiar with the wii can offer help

component cables will not work with my wii - the wii does not switch to progressive scan and doesnt go to 480p when I plug the cables in

now I have another wii, and I plug it in the same setup and cables and it works, but this wii does not

the first wii I have has been heavily modded - is it possible a mod could have made 480p not work? if so what are possible solutions to directly force the wii into 480p mode instead of always 480i
Did you try manually switching to 480p in the system settings?

I forget, did the Wii switch automatically or did you have to go into settings?
The Wii will usually switch to 480p automatically, but that's not always the case.

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try manually switching to 480p in the system settings?

The Wii will usually switch to 480p automatically, but that's not always the case.

The TV is blank and wont show anything with component cables plugged in so its hard to navigate the menus

and yes with my other wii I used in the same setup it switches automatically - I would like to force my modded wii into 480p without using the system menu, rather than automatic which doesnt seem to work - maybe there is something that can do that

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TV is blank and wont show anything with component cables plugged in so its hard to navigate the menus

and yes with my other wii I used in the same setup it switches automatically - I would like to force my modded wii into 480p without using the system menu, rather than automatic which doesnt seem to work - maybe there is something that can do that
It sounds like there's a problem with the Wii. For my own sanity, please follow this guide to post a sysCheck for the Wii the component cables aren't working with.

Reactions: GreyWolf

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay here is the sysCheck report

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Drive date: 05.26.2006
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 67798984
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 263 titles.
Found 44 IOS on this console. 12 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 03/15/2018.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see anything wrong with that. Do you have Priiloader? Perhaps a setting in it (or Priiloader itself) could be causing it.

Does it do anything when you turn it on? Can you press A to skip the health warning and hear the menu music?

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Priiloader like a week ago, so I can boot straight to the homebrew channel and use the wii with only my GameCube controller - but its been happening well before that, and I subsequently uninstalled Priiloader

and yes I have the health warning and menu music

I am willing to install Priiloader again if it possibly could help or there is some option for getting the wii to 480p

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Did you make sure your TV actually supports 480p? I have a 2 CRT tvs that have component that were made in 2002/2004. Both only do 480i. How the TV responds to unsupported mode differs. I have an older Philips brand 27 incher that "attempts" to display it, but it's all wierd and horizontal sync is off. But the newer Sanyo one uses blue screen to hide static/no input so I see nothing on that one.

Wii does not switch automatically. At least mine doesn't. I had to tell it to go to 480p manually to test if my TV supported it. Had to use the av cables to switch back once I seen that the tvs didn't. ;)

I'm glad my Wii doesn't auto switch to 480p simply due to having component cables. It would be a big issue for the TVs I currently use as they don't support 480p. :P

I have an older model with vulnerable boot2 so I have bootmii show up for a second or two on every boot. That screen always appears in 480i mode by the way. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you make sure your TV actually supports 480p? I have a 2 CRT tvs that have component that were made in 2002/2004. Both only do 480i. How the TV responds to unsupported mode differs. I have an older Philips brand 27 incher that "attempts" to display it, but it's all wierd and horizontal sync is off. But the newer Sanyo one uses blue screen to hide static/no input so I see nothing on that one.

Wii does not switch automatically. At least mine doesn't. I had to tell it to go to 480p manually to test if my TV supported it. Had to use the av cables to switch back once I seen that the tvs didn't. ;)

I'm glad my Wii doesn't auto switch to 480p simply due to having component cables. It would be a big issue for the TVs I currently use as they don't support 480p. :P

I have an older model with vulnerable boot2 so I have bootmii show up for a second or two on every boot. That screen always appears in 480i mode by the way. ;)

I probably described it wrong - when I put in component cables in my good wii it still is in 480i, and I have to go in system settings to put in 480p

however it recognizes the cables automatically and uses the component cables

my modded wii with issue just shows a blank screen when I put in the component cables which is a problem

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Boot it up with no A/V cables attached, then hook up composite cables. If you get a display, go to the setting for resolution and see what it's set to. If it's set to 480p, try changing it to 480i, turn off the Wii, hook up the component cables, and boot it up again.

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot it up with no A/V cables attached, then hook up composite cables. If you get a display, go to the setting for resolution and see what it's set to. If it's set to 480p, try changing it to 480i, turn off the Wii, hook up the component cables, and boot it up again.

Its just set on 480i when I do this

if there is no software or mod solution to force wii to 480p I might just have to keep tinkering with cables back and forth, and see what happens

Its just weird that my other wii works perfectly - tho Im thinking my modded wii is a launch wii, so maybe unofficial wii component cables have issue with that

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the port on the Wii. According to a pinout pin 15 is a signal line for interlace/progressive mode so that pin could be bad. (Off is interlace, on is progressive)

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/videogame/nintendo-wii-multi-av/

Try plugging the green component out into composite (yellow) on the TV. You should get a 480i black and white image and then you can try checking the video mode.

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the port on the Wii. According to a pinout pin 15 is a signal line for interlace/progressive mode so that pin could be bad. (Off is interlace, on is progressive)

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/videogame/nintendo-wii-multi-av/

Try plugging the green component out into composite (yellow) on the TV. You should get a 480i black and white image and then you can try checking the video mode.

I think you could be right about a bad pin, tho Im having problem with the instruction

on the back of my TV there is ports for Green, Blue, Red, White, Red - its a cheap TV and thats all there is

I put my component cables in order of each by color and set TV to component mode - when I unplug all the cables and just plug in the green on the far left the wii menu screen appears and is in black and white - the framerate of the image on TV goes choppy but Im able to navigate to settings and my wii has auto set to 480p, and when I switch it to 480i the screen goes blank but appears again if I set my TV to video mode and the choppiness disappears

its all very confusing, but I think it could be something with a pin

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the video port on that Wii. How are you with electronics repair? It could just be a cold solder joint.

marmalade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the video port on that Wii. How are you with electronics repair? It could just be a cold solder joint.

Ive never really done anything like that tho Id be willing to try it out on the wii with issue

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It almost sounds like his Wii is forcing a resolution/framerate mode that's not compatible with his TV. I remember there being a Homebrew just for editing the Wii's settings file. Shouldn't he try to restore a default settings file before messing with the video port?

Last edited by portugeek,

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try wiggling the port around or put a little force up or down on the port when switching, maybe it'll help the connection work... at least long enough to figure out what the issue is. Sounds like a port issue.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Component cables have 2 pins in the plug shorted together, if for whatever reasons that's missing or not detected, it will be considered an RGB cable (which is not supported in NTSC mode - it will output S-Video instead, if you were to connect the red "Pr" cable to a composite or "Y" green component socket you would get a black and white picture)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh