1. Aceboi

OP Aceboi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have a black wii which came with it a Wii sports and Wii sports resort which work very good but when I put any other wii games it say unable to read disc pls help

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    If it reads at least some discs the laser is likely working and free enough from dust.

To that end three main thoughts
    1) Your other games are all dual layer games and this is one of those drives that struggles with them. If we can get a rough list of what you tried that might narrow things down.

2) It came pre hacked with some kind of nonsense CIOSCorp type deal and the other games you tried were not compatible with what is there.

3) Someone tried to region change the wii and did it badly and thus screwed up the ability for it to read most discs. Not sure why the wii sports games work for this but hey.

Do you know what, if any, hacks were done to it? I don't know what we are suggesting for a softmod guide these days but https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ is not bad.

Ryccardo, jeannotte and Lostbhoy like this.
  3. Aceboi

OP Aceboi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I bought it original like this with no mods and I tried mysims and spider-man and mario party 9

Last edited by Aceboi, Oct 31, 2020
  4. alexander1970

alexander1970 History repeats itself...

Austria
    Hello.:)

These Original Game Discs are really ok ?

- No Scratches
    - No Fingerprints
    - No Dirt on it ?

Did the Wii Drive make some "Noises" when you put the Games in ?

Thank you.:)

jeannotte and Lostbhoy like this.
  5. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    Second hand Wii (which I assume it is, since they're not in production for quite a while now) can be hacked without the seller knowing. I would check the ios to see if some cios are installed, and check the region with something like Priiloader.

I'd also try some GC games if you have some. If even one of them works, then we can safely discard the possibility of a disc drive failure.

Last edited by medoli900, Oct 31, 2020
    jeannotte and Lostbhoy like this.
  6. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Where did you buy the console? I can't imagine any are being sold as new from any retail outlets!
    Are the games definitely for the same region as your console?
    To check your region goto into System Settings, and your version will be at top right. Such as 1.0. 0U. The letter at the end indicates the region... U for US, E for EU and J for Japanese.

Your game region will be on the back of the case. PAL/NTSC etc.

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  7. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    Oh right, I forgot they put the console region on Wii firmware.

8. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

Do the games boot via homebrew based methods?

9. Aceboi

OP Aceboi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I bought back from 2010 and it is pal 4.3E and yes all the games ar original but when I put any games other than wii sport and resort it spin then say cant read disc

Lostbhoy likes this.
  10. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Your only options are between the discs and the drive lens. If your positive the games in question are clean and absolutely free from scratches, it sounds like your laser lens is faulty/on the way out.

Nintendo used to do a laser lens cleaning kit but unfortunately, no longer do so. There are plenty of homemade tutorials on how to replicate this on youtube simply using an old cd and cd cleaning wipes which you could try but I would recommend looking into getting the lens replaced.

Of course, a 3rd option would be soft modding your Wii and then loading games from usb which will save you spending any cash and simply bypass using discs altogher!

11. Aceboi

OP Aceboi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    okay thank you man

I just have a question. If my wii is pal should all CDs I buy have pal on it since I bought it from 2010 I don't really know what it mean and should I put the resolution on 480i or 576i ?

12. Fawe

Fawe Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Yeah, if your console isn't modded, it won't even play any non-pal games.

13. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Yes. If your Wii is PAL then it's UK/European so it will only read discs from that region... ie PAL. For reference, American Wii is NTSC and will not be read by a UK Wii. Should you wish to softmod you can region free your console to play US or Japanese titles.

Regarding the resolution, Select 576i (50hz) when using the Wii AV cable for instance, not component cable.
    480i (60hz) will only work if the game and your TV support it however bear in mind this won't affect how your disc is read or plays... just how it displayed once loaded.

jeannotte likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - discs,