Hacking Wii disc dumper v1.0 released by nitrotux

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to port this to Patchmii?
I'm trying to understand the changes, based on what Prodigy posted. I see the first branch was replaced by an instruction that does nothing (why not just use a NOP?) because it prevents reads above 0x14000 (words?), but what does the second branch check? Why bypass that?
EDIT: I see, the second one checks that the offset + the number of words to be read < 0x14000

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabi85 said:
worked perfect for me. edited the code a little to use a 1 gig sd card.

[... snip ... ]

...maybe its useful for someone

It has always worked for me too.

Make sure that IOS5 is properly installed, otherwise it will obviously not work.

I've read in other posts that Wasabi users have trouble reading Wii/GC discs at the end in GC mode.

Anyway, I have a Wiikey chip and the dumper works fine with it.

Also, bushing, thanks for calling this a useful hack
wink.gif

Marby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey,

i was able to dump the first layer of ssbb using dvdsd0.1g in gc mode. if somebody modified the code of Wii disc dumper

v1.0 to dumper the second layer only then we will be able to join the two layers using hj split and have a fully working ssbb. i

can't download this game becasue i have a nasty dial-up connection.

PS: many people have a 1gig sd card -like me- so it is a good thing to have a 1gig and a 2gig versions.

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
drfsupercenter said:
OK, since both links got deleted I'm hosting a mirror on my personal server:
http://drfsupercenter.info/Programs/wiidumpsd.rar

@ whoever made this, if there's a newer one, let me know. I got this off some random Asian mirror.

By the way - Does anyone have an Action Replay for the Wii? I've found a couple sites selling one but ISOs are nowhere to be found... if I have to I'll buy one and dump it myself, but if someone here has one I'd love to get a copy.

Here is another mirror for this useful dumper, besides the one listed in the quote. Nitrotux, if you read this, edit your first post with these links. (Both of the common file upload places deleted this useful utility. I find it useful, as that means I don't have to download copies of games I already own, something that I can't afford to do, since I have a monthly bandwidth cap, 1/3 of which would be eaten by one of these isos.)

http://caitsith2.net/wii/wiidumpsd.rar

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
caitsith2 said:
drfsupercenter said:
OK, since both links got deleted I'm hosting a mirror on my personal server:

@ whoever made this, if there's a newer one, let me know. I got this off some random Asian mirror.

By the way - Does anyone have an Action Replay for the Wii? I've found a couple sites selling one but ISOs are nowhere to be found... if I have to I'll buy one and dump it myself, but if someone here has one I'd love to get a copy.

Here is another mirror for this useful dumper, besides the one listed in the quote. Nitrotux, if you read this, edit your first post with these links. (Both of the common file upload places deleted this useful utility. I find it useful, as that means I don't have to download copies of games I already own, something that I can't afford to do, since I have a monthly bandwidth cap, 1/3 of which would be eaten by one of these isos.)

http://caitsith2.net/wii/wiidumpsd.rar

IOS5.wad contains copyrighted code from Nintendo
this is the reason why this is illegal to distribute this in public, this is exacly like posting links for hacked VC wads or roms

not that I really care about, just to let you know why this is getting deleted, I'm not sure that GBA Temp policy allow posting such content though

Fabi85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i simplyfied the code a bit (the offset part), so that its know easier to understand whats going on there...

CODE
//global constants
static const u32 MAX_PART = 6;
static const u32 FULL_SIZE = 4500;
static const u32 PART_SIZE = FULL_SIZE/MAX_PART;
static const double DVD_SIZE = 4482.25;
static const u32 MB = 1024*1024;

if (part != MAX_PART){
//offset addresses contain 4 bytes
offset = part * (PART_SIZE/4) *MB ;
size = PART_SIZE*MB;
}
//read until DVD-SIZE is reached
else{
offset = part * (PART_SIZE/4) *MB;
size = (DVD_SIZE - PART_SIZE*(MAX_PART-1)) *MB;
}

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is there a disc dumper that doesn't require me to install a hacked IOS? I'm not going to be doing any IOS installing unless is by Nintendo or jayparadox and his crew...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
is there a disc dumper that doesn't require me to install a hacked IOS? I'm not going to be doing any IOS installing unless is by Nintendo or jayparadox and his crew...

It has been mentioned several times that the reason for the IOS is that it removes the limit from an unencrypted read, so no, modifying the IOS is required. And why would you trust jayparadox any more than this nitrotux character? They're both equally naive when it comes to "their" contributions.

Now, as far as the Bushing comment is concerned, I believe what Bushing was alluding to was the fact that modifying the IOS could be done with PatchMii, instead of having to post a WAD illegally.

So, before you get all egotistical Nitrotux, the point would be for you to incorporate "your" modification into PatchMii.

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
zidane_genome said:

It has been mentioned several times that the reason for the IOS is that it removes the limit from an unencrypted read, so no, modifying the IOS is required. And why would you trust jayparadox any more than this nitrotux character? They're both equally naive when it comes to "their" contributions.

Now, as far as the Bushing comment is concerned, I believe what Bushing was alluding to was the fact that modifying the IOS could be done with PatchMii, instead of having to post a WAD illegally.

So, before you get all egotistical Nitrotux, the point would be for you to incorporate "your" modification into PatchMii.

Hey teq, why don't you get off your high horse and put a stick up your ass?

I have yet to see any of YOUR contributions.

As for zidane_genome's question, I am pretty sure someone will find an exploit in the Starlet to allow for on-the-fly patching, or someone will make a tool to completely install/uninstall a hacked IOS at will.

Then you don't have to be so paranoid about Ninty bricking your Wii if you have some hacked stuff installed.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
zidane_genome said:

Because jay has really done alot of work with the Wii, and him and his crew (with bushing) has done almost all the work on the Wii that we can do today.

Funny, teq, the only contributions I've seen you make are... oh, wait... never mind... all you can do it bitch and moan when someone writes some code, then treat them like they are unholy beasts from the 7th circle of hell... but remember, your a fucking pirate too, so go bitch and moan to someone with the same hickory stick up their ass!

and to nitrotux, I'm not really paranoid about BigN finding out I've hacked my Wii... I just don't want 3.4 to include a bunch of stuff that would block me from using legit games with the hacked IOS intsalled... wife would KILL me...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Hey teq, why don't you get off your high horse and put a stick up your ass?
You're one to talk. You've released a tool that you claim to be yours, yet you refuse to support it. By that, it's clear that this isn't your work and you're only here to boost your ego.
QUOTE said:
I have yet to see any of YOUR contributions.

My contribution is giving credit where credit is due. You, however, clearly deserve no credit for this tool, especially based on your actions.

You carry yourself poorly, you don't participate anywhere else on the forum, and instead of proving you have an intelligent bone in your body, you attack people who are doing nothing more than keeping this forum informed.

Plastering your name all over a tool doesn't do the community any favors if you spend the rest of your time setting everything back, instead of moving forward.

As for zidane_genome's question, I am pretty sure someone will find an exploit in the Starlet to allow for on-the-fly patching, or someone will make a tool to completely install/uninstall a hacked IOS at will.

See.... it's comments like these that clearly prove you don't know what you're talking about.

Starlet has nothing to do with modifying IOS.

Because jay has really done alot of work with the Wii, and him and his crew (with bushing) has done almost all the work on the Wii that we can do today.

Funny, teq, the only contributions I've seen you make are... oh, wait... never mind... all you can do it bitch and moan when someone writes some code, then treat them like they are unholy beasts from the 7th circle of hell... but remember, your a fucking pirate too, so go bitch and moan to someone with the same hickory stick up their ass!

Uh.. I don't know whether you're dillusional or just misinformed.

Jayparadox has neither a "crew", nor a relation to Bushing. The only work he's done has been one in the same as Nitrotux -- he took information from #Wiidev that entailed how to create channels and the tools required to make them. Seeing that the tools were obscured and privately released, his only contribution is going against the wishes of the members of #Wiidev that actually did the work.

As far as being a pirate is concerned, you're off in left field. For one, the contributions I make are neither public, nor deemed commendable on my part. I don't make releases, because I don't care about the glory. My e-penis is big enough, thank you. In addition, your criticism holds no candle around here. It's a case of the pot calling the kettle black for you to tell me that I make no contribution, when the majority of your posts are riddled with questions.

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IOS system runs on the Starlet. Starlet has EVERYTHING to do with modifying IOS.

Just find an IOS that can be exploited and then do so.
Oh but wait, maybe you already did so in your "private" contributions.. yeah right.

And ofcourse I know about the wealth of information and tools available on the wiibrew site and #wiidev channel.
It would be a very silly to re-invent the wheel and do everything myself, when all of this is publicly available.
That really isn't a problem on my part or anyone elses, just yours.

Get off your high horse or crawl back into your private hole. We don't need you here.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I did a test dump of Sonic and the Secret Rings. I don't have my drivechip installed yet, but I'll post the filesize.

4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes)

Does anyone have one from a torrent or something? How does that size compare? It sure looks like about the maximum size that will fit on a DVD-R... so if it's missing data it must be a very small amount.

@nitrotux, thanks for linking to my mirror
wink.gif
I'll leave that up as long as it's not getting abused... since it's pretty small the server should be able to handle it.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrotux said:
The IOS system runs on the Starlet. Starlet has EVERYTHING to do with modifying IOS.

Wow... you're very ignorant.

IOS interfaces on Starlet, correct, but it does so in about as many layers as an ELF interfaces on the Broadway. That is to say, IOS is to Starlet what Windows is to an x86. Software is written for the processor, not the other way around.

If it were any different, the IOS modification you supposedly made would not have worked, because Starlet would've rejected it.

But of course, you've already explained to us how well you understand drivechips:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=92077

nitrotux said:
You first have to understand how Wii/GOD discs are encoded.

Both standard DVD-ROM's and Wii/GOD discs use sectors of 2064 bytes, but they are encoded differently.

A standard DVD-ROM's sector looks like this:
| ID | IED | CPR_MAI | User Data Frame | EDC |

and a Wii/GOD disc looks like this:
| ID | IED | User Data Frame | wii/goddata | EDC |

When you burn a Wii ISO, you're burning it with standard DVD-ROM encoding; Which the Wii does not understand.

What a modchip does is "translate" a sector from DVD-ROM to Wii/GOD encoding.

Now, if you could modify your burner's firmware to write the encoding exactly like a Wii understands it, then you might not need a modchip.
But as far as I know, nobody has ever tried this, because DVD burner firmware hacking is really hard.

nitrotux said:
And ofcourse I know about the wealth of information and tools available on the wiibrew site and #wiidev channel.
It would be a very silly to re-invent the wheel and do everything myself, when all of this is publicly available.
That really isn't a problem on my part or anyone elses, just yours.

There is a distinct difference between utilizing resources that are freely and widely available and stealing private information to take credit for it. Your idea of "re-inventing the wheel" is to take someone else's work and call it your own. It's my impression that from the way that you act, you would've removed the GPL license in the WiiDVD API, except that it would've required more work on your part.

You don't seem to realize that the WAD you released is copyright infringement, is illegal, and is against the user agreement of this forum. I, for one, do not have a problem with it being accessible, as long as it's a learning tool and not a means to an end.

If it is your work, I don't see why you're so opposed to supporting it(especially after a single release) or at the very least, providing documentation, so that someone better suited can take over.

QUOTE(nitrotux @ Jul 13 2008, 04:06 PM)
Get off your high horse or crawl back into your private hole. We don't need you here.

Uh, "we"? There is no "we" when it comes to you.

By my count, I've been here longer than you.

So, why don't you try taking your routine over to TehSkeen and see what they have to say about you?

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And now, a correction notice direct from marcan, posted at his request.

QUOTE said:
someone should post this on gbatemp: "random little tidbit of information that you guys may or may not care about: jayparadox has never worked with bushing or any other member of team twiizers, he has never done any real work on wii reverse engineering, and his accomplishments seem to be limited to modifying existing work, stealing Nintendo stuff, using stolen utilities that team twiizers wrote, and generally doing things the wrong way. Just thought I'd let you know".

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stalkid64 said:
...And now, a correction notice direct from marcan.

QUOTE said:
someone should post this on gbatemp: "random little tidbit of information that you guys may or may not care about: jayparadox has never worked with bushing or any other member of team twiizers, he has never done any real work on wii reverse engineering, and his accomplishments seem to be limited to modifying existing work, stealing Nintendo stuff, using stolen banner utilities that team twiizers wrote, and generally doing things the wrong way. Just thought
... I'd let you know".

So, I'll accept that apology in any manner you see fit, Zidane.

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drfsupercenter said:
OK, I did a test dump of Sonic and the Secret Rings. I don't have my drivechip installed yet, but I'll post the filesize.

4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes)

Does anyone have one from a torrent or something? How does that size compare? It sure looks like about the maximum size that will fit on a DVD-R... so if it's missing data it must be a very small amount.

@nitrotux, thanks for linking to my mirror
wink.gif
I'll leave that up as long as it's not getting abused... since it's pretty small the server should be able to handle it.

Yep, that is the correct size for a single layer Wii game.

And thank you for hosting it
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: