Hardware wii disc drive is VERY loud

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did a quick search and couldn't find anything here, so if it has been asked, sorry.

my wii's disc drive is making an awful lot of noise when its reading the disc, and i don't remember ever having that problem before. i bought the system in september 2007. any suggestions on what might be causing this?

figured i'd be a little more specific now that i've heard it a little more. the sound is a loud vibrating sound, it almost sounds like the whole system is shaking, almost like an air conditioner or radiator or something. it happens during the course of whatever game i'm playing, except when the disc (presumably) stops spinning on menus, ect.

any advice would be greatly appriciated. it works fine for now but i want to make sure that i don't do anything to make this problem worse.

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm would i have to send it in for a new dvd drive or is it something someone with no experience at all could do?

i mean, the noise itself is tolerable, but i wouldn't want the wii to shake itself apart from the inside out.

EDIT: to make this even more bizarre, i tested out a couple of the other games i have for wii, and only certain ones set off this sound (Wii sports, Wii play, wario ware smooth moves) while others (no more heroes, twilight princess) run as smooth as ever (which is probably why i hadn't noticed that sound in a while =P) ordinarily, i'd think it was a dirty/scratched/whatever disc, but i keep all my games in pristine condition, and the game discs don't have a single mark or scratch at all. these are all legitimate retail games, not backups, making it even more strange.

i guess its not a huge deal considering that i rarely play the games that set it off, but would you guys suggest swapping the drive anyway, just so i don't get potentially stuck with read errors in the future?

isoku

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had this problem on my wii. I also had little artifacts that show up randomly in games. What I did was request my wii to be repaired via the brawl dual layer issues. I put "other video issues" as my complaint, they fixed everything up, and I got my wii back in a week all free.

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isoku said:
I had this problem on my wii. I also had little artifacts that show up randomly in games. What I did was request my wii to be repaired via the brawl dual layer issues. I put "other video issues" as my complaint, they fixed everything up, and I got my wii back in a week all free.

was your wii still warrantied? because i no longer have a warranty since i install HBC =P. and if i did send it in would they replace the entire system or just the drive, because i don't think it would be worth losing boot2 over.

and thanks for your help!

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Maybe you should consider using a USB loader. No noise at all and faster loading times!
biggrin.gif

isoku

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
recoomeboom said:
isoku said:

was your wii still warrantied? because i no longer have a warranty since i install HBC =P. and if i did send it in would they replace the entire system or just the drive, because i don't think it would be worth losing boot2 over.

and thanks for your help!
No it wasn't warrantied. I had homebrew installed as well. I had to reinstall it but it was worth it.

recoomeboom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay great, thanks everybody, i think i will send it in to the big N lol.

and as for usb loading, i have tried it, but i just think its easier most of the time to run the game through the disc channel, idk why, maybe just because i'm more familiar with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol