Hardware wii d-terminal video cable?!

naxil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hello, today i see this japan standard cable (from 1990) and is possible use it with our wii (ofc we need a tv with this standard).
omg this cable can support 1080p!!! from 90s! ofc with wii the max ress is 480p.
lot of tempers buy jap hw/rev and i want know if someone know this cable on wii and if it is good in comparison with other cable.
japan is amazing place with uncommon hw/standard (for useur... or eurus??? euro usa??)
ps = and wii s-video?

sku_196725_3.jpg

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of what the cable will support, you aren't getting higher than 480p out of a Wii. That's all it supports. To get higher, you have to run it through an upscaler and the results won't be anything spectacular.

Component cables also support 1080p, but not on the Wii. Even if the same cable supports it on PS3 and 360.

If you really want 1080p Wii games, use a Wii U, which does upscaling on its own, or the computer emulator Dolphin, which can actually upres the games and make them look much better than they were ever on official hardware.

Reactions: Margen67

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i smell bullshit.. from what you are describing.. "amazing cable from 90s that supports 1080p"

however, you keep saying "this cable" etc, but you dont even show us the cable you speak off

are you talking about a converting box that can upscale?

naxil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
no isnt a converting cable box! i edit the firts post for you... or iam a bullshit man... why not sheepshit? ww say only "shit"!

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
yes and japan people have it from 90. apple use the same cable but for data

ok after making some research. this cable CAN output 480p.. it will not output 1080p neither 720p
this is a component cable (same as this one, but with different plug )

yes a tv can receive 1080p data through that interface, but its the same thing as saying hdmi can receive 4k resolution but my device is outputting 720p...

but now that i read better your question, you ask how is the quality, it the same as a component ( YPbPr ) cable..

and s-video sucks compared to component....
let me put this way: normal yellow rca plug, got 1 channel.
s-video got 2 channels.. (intensity and color)
while component got a channel for each colour (not sure if i am totally correct)
s-video sucks balls :/

sources: http://sheylara.com/wii/wii_system_settings_translation_v1.0.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Terminal

D

Deleted User

ok after making some research. this cable CAN output 480p.. it will not output 1080p neither 720p
this is a component cable (same as this one, but with different plug )

yes a tv can receive 1080p data through that interface, but its the same thing as saying hdmi can receive 4k resolution but my device is outputting 720p...

but now that i read better your question, you ask how is the quality, it the same as a component ( YPbPr ) cable..

and s-video sucks compared to component....
let me put this way: normal yellow rca plug, got 1 channel.
s-video got 2 channels.. (intensity and color)
while component got a channel for each colour (not sure if i am totally correct)
s-video sucks balls :/

sources: http://sheylara.com/wii/wii_system_settings_translation_v1.0.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Terminal
Component is like svideo but with 1 channel for intensity and 2 for color, only a slight improvement, the main advantage it has over svideo is that it can output progressive scan and HD while svideo can't go higher than 576i and depending on your TV progressive scan may or may not make any difference. (eg, my TV I use as a monitor is very flickery with interlaced but my livingroom tv has a good deinterlacer making the difference almost invisible)
so as far as standard definition is concerned, svideo is almost on par with component, composite is the only one that sucks balls

RGB has 3 color channels and either has a separate intensity channel or splits it across each color channel. You might not notice much improvement over component but the difference from svideo would be more noticeable

FYI, if youre going for an svideo converter for a tv that lacks the input, get a component one over a vga one as a component converter only needs to split the color and passthrough the intensity which preserves the source quality better than a vga converter which has more work.

Reactions: migles

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YPbPr (component) and RGB (VGA) have different encodings, but they're nearly identical with regards to quality. I'm not sure why you think that RGB is somehow massively superior to S-Video while component is only slightly better.

Regarding the converters: There's really no difference between S-Video to RGB and S-Video to YPbPr. Both of them have to decode an NTSC-modulated (or PAL-modulated) chroma channel, and the conversion to either RGB or YPbPr is done with a fixed matrix, so it isn't really "more work".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse