wii crashes (?) when executing bluebomb

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im trying to homebrew my wii mini using the bluebomb method but when it sends me to the "this software must not be sold" screen and when i try to pair my wiimote to continue, it wont pair. it also wont show the "press 1 to continue" message when it should. idk if im doing anything wrong

im really bad at these kinds of things so please help me out 😭😭

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your Wiimote oem?
Your Sd card is formatted as Fat32 32kb clusters etc.?
My Wiimote came with the box so I think so? I've had this for almost a decade so I don't remember but I'm sure that it came included As to the sd card, I'm not using one since it is a Wii mini but I am using a USB and it is formatted to FAT32 but I think it is in 16kb clusters I'd have to check.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As to the sd card, I'm not using one since it is a Wii mini but I am using a USB and it is formatted to FAT32 but I think it is in 16kb clusters I'd have to check.
What did you format it with? Use Guiformat to format it as FAT32 32kb clusters if it's a +32gb sd card, as Windows doesn't do it.

Reactions: jeannotte

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just formatted it with Guiformat to FAT32 32kb clusters. I'll try again tomorrow since I have to do other things tonight. I'll update you when I try again.
Post automatically merged:

What did you format it with? Use Guiformat to format it as FAT32 32kb clusters if it's a +32gb sd card, as Windows doesn't do it.
I've just tried it again and it gives me the same results. I don't know what to do now since every time I try it, it'll just crash.

Last edited by wotturl,
Reactions: CoolMe

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've just tried it again and it gives me the same results. I don't know what to do now since every time I try it, it'll just crash.
is this a good brand sd card??

No sub-brand (USB key or SD card), at low prices that are worth nothing and cannot be detected

test several SD cards or USB keys, if you have the possibility

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
im trying to homebrew my wii mini using the bluebomb method but when it sends me to the "this software must not be sold" screen and when i try to pair my wiimote to continue, it wont pair. it also wont show the "press 1 to continue" message when it should. idk if im doing anything wrong
Never done bluebomb myself, but how do you try to pair your controller after the screen - just pressing the power button on controller or trying to use sync buttons on controller and Wii Mini? Have the controller and Wii Mini been paired already?

Reactions: jeannotte

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never done bluebomb myself, but how do you try to pair your controller after the screen - just pressing the power button on controller or trying to use sync buttons on controller and Wii Mini? Have the controller and Wii Mini been paired already?
The controller has been paired before to it, it's just that it freezes whenever I reach the "This software must not be sold" screen, leaving me unable to pair my controller to continue.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The controller has been paired before to it, it's just that it freezes whenever I reach the "This software must not be sold" screen, leaving me unable to pair my controller to continue.
Do you just press the power button on controller ?

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just try pressing the power on the controller, no resync needed I reckon.
I've just tried pressing the power controller and no change. I think that it's the Wii's problem since it just freezes when it reaches that screen.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd try the following still:
First boot the Wii Mini regularly without Bluebomb, check if controller works and if not, pair it.
Then do the Bluebomb with regular procedure, i.e. run the exploit pressing sync on Wii Mini - do note that the controller must be off! until next step.
Lastly, when reaching the stage with "Press 1" just press the controller power button and then 1

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd try the following still:
First boot the Wii Mini regularly without Bluebomb, check if controller works and if not, pair it.
Then do the Bluebomb with regular procedure, i.e. run the exploit pressing sync on Wii Mini - do note that the controller must be off! until next step.
Lastly, when reaching the stage with "Press 1" just press the controller power button and then 1
Tried this right now and didn't work, it's always that screen that messes me up.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
when it sends me to the "this software must not be sold" screen and when i try to pair my wiimote to continue, it wont pair
As in "connect" (you must pair it before, in the wii menu)?
That's normal, at that point the hackmii installer is choosing an exploit to get privileges [remember, it might have been launched outside the Wii Menu itself] and taking advantage of it, so you must indeed... wait for "press 1 to continue", and THAT is a problem since it means the installer is getting stuck...

If all else fails (not that there are many "else"s without a nand programmer, in fact there are none at all if you don't have the keys you'd need homebrew to dump in the first place or can find and solder a brand new coprocessor) the only thing I can think of is trying a factory reset (and going through the initial setup again), even then I'm skeptical it would help...

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Tried this right now and didn't work, it's always that screen that messes me up.
If you followed https://wii.guide/ to the letter (video tuts just do not cut the mustard) then the best option is asking at the Bluebomb support discord linked in the wii.guide. Else, start from the scratch using the above guide.

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As in "connect" (you must pair it before, in the wii menu)?
That's normal, at that point the hackmii installer is choosing an exploit to get privileges [remember, it might have been launched outside the Wii Menu itself] and taking advantage of it, so you must indeed... wait for "press 1 to continue", and THAT is a problem since it means the installer is getting stuck...

If all else fails (not that there are many "else"s without a nand programmer, in fact there are none at all if you don't have the keys you'd need homebrew to dump in the first place or can find and solder a brand new coprocessor) the only thing I can think of is trying a factory reset (and going through the initial setup again), even then I'm skeptical it would help...
No, I'd have to connect to it when it prompts me to. Also, I had already factory reset it twice, the first time was my successful try to homebrew it but I messed something up and couldn't access any of the channels so I factory reset it, and the second time was to see if it could fix the problem I had. At this point I'm wondering whether the first time I factory reset it may have put me in this situation.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the first time was my successful try to homebrew it but I messed something up and couldn't access any of the channels so I factory reset it [...] I'm wondering whether the first time I factory reset it may have put me in this situation.
From this description it's quite hard to guess what may have happened (do you remember what "couldn't access channels" meant exactly? all gone, weird errors, freezing immediately, etc? when did that start precisely, or in other words did you manage to install and open the HBC?), but in general regardless of the actual cause you may have painted yourself into a corner if you had an usable way to run homebrew and removed it, as simply put yes, the Hackmii Installer is finicky...

Something I never tried would be to simply not use the Hackmii Installer - given the exploit works, per se, and it works while the Wii Menu is running, it might be possible to run a modern wad manager directly from it, which would be able to directly give itself permissions via AHBPROT - but I doubt this would actually work (the Wii Menu has special privileges but that doesn't mean it's crazy enough to have all direct hardware access enabled)

If that crazy idea works you might be able to install the HBC via wad package... or perhaps to run a syscheck instead of the wad manager...

wotturl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From this description it's quite hard to guess what may have happened (do you remember what "couldn't access channels" meant exactly? all gone, weird errors, freezing immediately, etc? when did that start precisely, or in other words did you manage to install and open the HBC?), but in general regardless of the actual cause you may have painted yourself into a corner if you had an usable way to run homebrew and removed it, as simply put yes, the Hackmii Installer is finicky...

Something I never tried would be to simply not use the Hackmii Installer - given the exploit works, per se, and it works while the Wii Menu is running, it might be possible to run a modern wad manager directly from it, which would be able to directly give itself permissions via AHBPROT - but I doubt this would actually work (the Wii Menu has special privileges but that doesn't mean it's crazy enough to have all direct hardware access enabled)

If that crazy idea works you might be able to install the HBC via wad package... or perhaps to run a syscheck instead of the wad manager.
What I meant by that was that it would just crash when I would enter any of the channels like USBLoaderGX or when I would enter the Homebrew Channel the wifi icon on the bottom right would just flash for minutes and wouldn't show my apps. I'll see if I can do what you just recommended me since it may be my last option..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist