Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I'm not the first who noticed that out of the next gen, Nintendo is lacking any type of achievements program or "trophy collection" as it is with the PS3, but an interesting thought crossed my mind. Though the use of Homebrew, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to create a primitive version of an "achievement" program? My thoughts would be possibly creating an application for Homebrew to launch the game with (or more simply, create an Ocarina code to apply (if possible)) that detects certain scripts on the game. And with that, if somebody was willing, they could create a file that lists scripts that award points if they were activated in the game.

Sorry if I confused anybody, the thought crossed my mind and it's bugging me now, just wanted to hear the ideas of others.
unsure.gif

Chaos Punk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamemaster1379 said:
I'm sure I'm not the first who noticed that out of the next gen, Nintendo is lacking any type of achievements program or "trophy collection" as it is with the PS3, but an interesting thought crossed my mind. Though the use of Homebrew, wouldn't it be theoretically possible to create a primitive version of an "achievement" program? My thoughts would be possibly creating an application for Homebrew to launch the game with (or more simply, create an Ocarina code to apply (if possible)) that detects certain scripts on the game. And with that, if somebody was willing, they could create a file that lists scripts that award points if they were activated in the game.

Sorry if I confused anybody, the thought crossed my mind and it's bugging me now, just wanted to hear the ideas of others.
unsure.gif
First off I'd like to say that I love the idea of an "acheivement" system for Wii. That being said, I wanna let you know that this would encounter a lot of resistence like "wahhh! THat's stoopid! we dont neeeeed dat dum stuffff!! WAH!" People are very close minded. But, I think you're on to something. This is finally a chance to use BootMii to an advantage. Now I'm not an expert on the Wii's software, but BootMii allows a complete take over (a hijacking if you will, lol) of the Wii's software AND hardware, meaning that it is very possible to make "Shell" apps now or even complete system menu replacements! With that in mind, it should be possible to wright some kind of "overlay" that can detect an acheivement in a game and reward points for it somehow, maybe by starting a game and using it's Title ID to score points towards that game. Then, there would need to be an "official" set of acheivements agreed upon by the general Wii hacking community, this could be a pain to do.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to rain on your parade but unlike many systems the wii can only do 1 thing at a time, this is one of the reasons the usb loader can't be accessed after a game is selected to play.The menu in a game is implemented on the game while the wii plays it.

Chaos Punk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dinoguy said:
sorry to rain on your parade but unlike many systems the wii can only do 1 thing at a time, this is one of the reasons the usb loader can't be accessed after a game is selected to play.The menu in a game is implemented on the game while the wii plays it.
But BootMii allows you to comepletely disregard the Wiis menu, there could be a way to have it multitask with a "Shell" application like the PSP has.

Sibe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Achievements are horrible.
Nintendo is having enough trouble as it is in the games area, like they need to do useless rubbish like Achievements (*ding* you've killed 5 people! you dont really get anything to improve your game, but here's a flashy gold bar and a ringing sound!!! dont you feel SPECIAL!!!). Something like this makes me glade Nintendo doesn't catch onto all the latest gaming fads like the other consoles do because MS/Sony lack original ideas.

theotherfreakygu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, couldn't you just have a program that reads your save files and tells you what you have accomplished? I know that this isn't the same really, but it would work. As long as people could find save files that have certain parts of the game unlocked (it would probably have to be story-related, though, or something that is actually saved) and other parts unlocked, they could put all of said save files into a program that would read yours and compare, then list what "trophies" or "achievements" you have done. It would take work and not actually get done since most people don't care, but it is possible.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
theotherfreakyguy said:
In theory, couldn't you just have a program that reads your save files and tells you what you have accomplished? I know that this isn't the same really, but it would work. As long as people could find save files that have certain parts of the game unlocked (it would probably have to be story-related, though, or something that is actually saved) and other parts unlocked, they could put all of said save files into a program that would read yours and compare, then list what "trophies" or "achievements" you have done. It would take work and not actually get done since most people don't care, but it is possible.
That never really crossed my mind, but that could work, I suppose.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you "think" you figured out a way what are these "prizes"
can't be a imgage since somene can just as easily upload it to google.
can't be a cheat since we have millions already made.
Can't be wii points ,since it be breaking several laws.
then what is it?
I quote
QUOTE said:
something pop up patting you on the back on screen.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Chaos Punk said:
Gamemaster1379 said:

unsure.gif
First off I'd like to say that I love the idea of an "acheivement" system for Wii. That being said, I wanna let you know that this would encounter a lot of resistence like "wahhh! THat's stoopid! we dont neeeeed dat dum stuffff!! WAH!" People are very close minded. But, I think you're on to something. This is finally a chance to use BootMii to an advantage. Now I'm not an expert on the Wii's software, but BootMii allows a complete take over (a hijacking if you will, lol) of the Wii's software AND hardware, meaning that it is very possible to make "Shell" apps now or even complete system menu replacements! With that in mind, it should be possible to wright some kind of "overlay" that can detect an acheivement in a game and reward points for it somehow, maybe by starting a game and using it's Title ID to score points towards that game. Then, there would need to be an "official" set of acheivements agreed upon by the general Wii hacking community, this could be a pain to do.
That does seem to bring up quite a problem, and really the only way I can think about going about it is hosting the completed achievements on a website (somewhat like mygamercards for 360), and the achievement files that are distributed could only come from one particular group of people, and would likely have to be encrypted.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're like ps3 achievements. Don't reward you with anything but it's pretty sweet. Why are people flaming and trolling suck a good idea though?

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Dinoguy said:
since you "think" you figured out a way what are these "prizes"
can't be a imgage since somene can just as easily upload it to google.
can't be a cheat since we have millions already made.
Can't be wii points ,since it be breaking several laws.
then what is it?
I quote
QUOTE said:
something pop up patting you on the back on screen.
My idea really didn't include offering any type of "prize". A pat on the back is essentially it--pretty much what Microsoft and Sony's achievements are. Nothing more than a pat on the back and a way to show off to your friends.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the point in achievements if there just to show your friend what you could show them by starting the game, like in ssbb you make 9,999 feet in the home run contest it'll be kept in the records.
Many games have options like these.

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
They're like ps3 achievements. Don't reward you with anything but it's pretty sweet. Why are people flaming and trolling suck a good idea though?

Because that would be a huge amount of hacking, for really nothing.

If it was something that could be implemented in an hour or two sure maybe someone board enough might do it.

But it would take A LOT of effort, decrypting the game, searching the entire disc for the right scripts to trigger, editing them (this is a lot harder than you would think) and a few more steps I don't know enough about to explain.

Not to mention there would be very strict limits on what you could get an achievement for. It would be limited to things saved in the game save, or in the RAM.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Dinoguy said:
Whats the point in achievements if there just to show your friend what you could show them by starting the game, like in ssbb you make 9,999 feet in the home run contest it'll be kept in the records.
Many games have options like these.
True, but they are only saved individually to a particular game, and don't have an "overall" score for the user. And as you said, many do, but that leaves games out that fail to include achievements.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last problem you do know that there are about a million wii games release and or planning to be release .You'll need a whole team of elite coders just to keep up.

Gamemaster1379

OP
Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Dinoguy said:
One last problem you do know that there are about a million wii games release and or planning to be release .You'll need a whole team of elite coders just to keep up.
Very true. This would likely be something that would only apply to more popular games like Brawl, Twilight Princess, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL