Wii #1807 - A Boy and his Blob (Europe)

TheH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
richy said:
Is anyone else getting the same issue I'm getting on Part 2, level 9 when playing via USB?

There's a cave with glittery stars that you need to enter to get to the 2nd(?) treasure chest (you head off to the left side of the level from the start and enter the cave after a really high jump up to a ledge - the cave is off to the right). It brings up a brief animated sequence that appears whenever the game is loading anything and then the game just freezes on a black screen. I've tried it using USB Loader GX and NeoGamma and the error happens on both. I've deleted the game off the drive and reinstalled it and it still does it. I've even extracted the game back off the drive to an ISO image (using WBFS Manager 3.0) from my 1st install and the 2nd install and checked both copies to make sure there wasn't any corruption going on (got CRC 839C97F6 both times).

I played the game off a DVD-R and it loads the sub-section where the treasure is without any problem whatsoever so I've managed to get past that section of the game now but there's definitely some sort of issue with it when I try it via USB. Luckily I keep DVD-R copies of everything just in case as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get any further with the game!
smile.gif

same issue here

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I've just tried this again because I've had a new USB hard drive since and have also just installed cIOSx rev19 (which seems to have sped up loading etc on several games) so I thought I'd see if the issue had gone away due to various fixes in the cIOS since the last time I tried it. It hasn't.

In answer to paulstevens, my copy is from the scene release that this thread is about. The burn was 100% fine and verified ok and, like I said, the problem doesn't occur if you play off the disc but for some reason if you try via USB it just loads the animation for about a second and then just fades to black and the console just stays like that. I've tried switching to Hermes' IOS instead and it does exactly the same thing.

It's weird because other than at this one specific point the whole game is 100% completable via USB - I've finished all the levels and all the bonus levels too. I just wonder whether whatever is causing it is likely to affect any other games?? It's almost like how NSMB randomly checks the media you're playing off (at least that's my understanding of the copy protection on that game) and resets or whatever if you've not got a retail disc (or you've not bypassed the protection!). In this case it's like this is the one point in the entire game that it decides to just check whether you're playing off any kind of disc or via some other method and then crashes if it doesn't pass its internal test.

Maybe no-one's bothered but it just seems a strange bug.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
richy said:
Well, I've just tried this again because I've had a new USB hard drive since and have also just installed cIOSx rev19 (which seems to have sped up loading etc on several games) so I thought I'd see if the issue had gone away due to various fixes in the cIOS since the last time I tried it. It hasn't.

In answer to paulstevens, my copy is from the scene release that this thread is about. The burn was 100% fine and verified ok and, like I said, the problem doesn't occur if you play off the disc but for some reason if you try via USB it just loads the animation for about a second and then just fades to black and the console just stays like that. I've tried switching to Hermes' IOS instead and it does exactly the same thing.

It's weird because other than at this one specific point the whole game is 100% completable via USB - I've finished all the levels and all the bonus levels too. I just wonder whether whatever is causing it is likely to affect any other games?? It's almost like how NSMB randomly checks the media you're playing off (at least that's my understanding of the copy protection on that game) and resets or whatever if you've not got a retail disc (or you've not bypassed the protection!). In this case it's like this is the one point in the entire game that it decides to just check whether you're playing off any kind of disc or via some other method and then crashes if it doesn't pass its internal test.

Maybe no-one's bothered but it just seems a strange bug.
It works from Neogamma on cIOS rev17 for me.

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you saying that it doesn't crash at that specific point using NeoGamma and cIOS rev17 or just that the game plays in general? I only ask because I'm sure I'd already tried it with cIOS rev17.

Also, I got hold of the NTSC version of the game and tried it last night (with a downloaded game save) and it works perfectly at the point which crashes on this PAL copy. It makes me wonder whether this release is actually a bad dump as I can't see there being any major difference between the NTSC and PAL versions other than extra languages. I guess I need to get hold of a retail copy to see if it crashes at the same point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1