Wii #1630 - Astro Boy: The Video Game (USA)

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh, that's a nice surprise. The GBA game is great. And that's an understatement.

The first impression on the cover could be better. It rather looks like a bland run of the mill movie game.. I liked the 2D baby more..

astroboy2.jpg

So much more grotesque fun
smile.gif

Let's see how it really turned out on the Wii. In-between a few A Boy and His Blob sessions.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one is developed by High Voltage Software, you know those who did the mediocre The Conduit as well as the mediocre Monster Hunter, some very sub par WiiWare games and also a lot of awful GC, PS2, DS & GBA games.

Video Games | Astro Boy: The Videogame | E3 09: Debut TeaserXBox 360 | Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii

It looks ok, I'm not fan of the cartoon but the look of this is terrible compared to the original, proof that 3D isn't the way to go for licenses based on 2D. I know its based on a film but still HVS should realise that most gamers who will be interested in this would have love a look that was true to the original source material.

HVS haven't been talking this one up that much, perhaps they're busy with the Left 4 Dead clone The Grinder and that boring looking Gladiator A.D. I expect it to be average at best and nothing that is even close to having the attention to it as the GBA game.

Can't be worse than Sonic Teams PS2 game...can it? DS game is developed by Art Co. Ltd who did Flushed Away, Coraline and Rugrats: Totally Angelica...yeah that should be worse than the PS2 game.

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
bazamuffin said:
sepinho said:
I'm a sucker for shmups, so I'm gonna have to give this a try. The jump-and-run elements add further appeal.
+1
+2 here
smileipb2.png

None the less, it's Astro Boy and I'm a sucker for it too - been curious about that movie, but the goddamn licensers will release it over here only by January 2010, so it'll also serve as a preview to the movie.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
RockmanForte said:
Whats the difference between PSP and Wii version ?

Sighing.. Can you answer my question, pretty please ?
rolleyes.gif
*Sighs more because poster could easily have googled the answer*

HVS developed Wii/PSP/PS2 versions. They are a small team who primarily work on the Wii and thus the PS2/PSP versions are ports of the Wii version. Wii & PS2 have 2 player co-op modes but PSP doesn't. Wii version is supposed to have more "special effects" that will be missing in the PS2/PSP versions as the Quantum3 engine was developed specifically for Wii hardware...and HVS are just lazy.

PSP version will be a lot smaller download.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thordrian said:
RockmanForte said:
RockmanForte said:
Whats the difference between PSP and Wii version ?

Sighing.. Can you answer my question, pretty please ?
rolleyes.gif
*Sighs more because poster could easily have googled the answer*

HVS developed Wii/PSP/PS2 versions. They are a small team who primarily work on the Wii and thus the PS2/PSP versions are ports of the Wii version. Wii & PS2 have 2 player co-op modes but PSP doesn't. Wii version is supposed to have more "special effects" that will be missing in the PS2/PSP versions as the Quantum3 engine was developed specifically for Wii hardware...and HVS are just lazy.

PSP version will be a lot smaller download.

I know and no excuse obviously. I thank you for your time.
smile.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, I just hate this whole thing so much.
The western movie industry takes a japanese manga classic and turns it into another of their cursed computer animated effects masturbation movies, give the rights for the game to some crappy studio, and they go ahead and just rip-off Treasure's classic GBA game really, really badly and get away with it.
The cover artworks is one of the shittiest ones I've seen so far on the Wii (and that certainly means a lot), and I just don't see that many correlations between the new "Astro Boy" franchise and the original one. Is nothing sacred anymore?
First Dragonball, now this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a +1