Wii #1476 - Speed Zone (USA)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is by Archer Maclean who has made some real classics in his time (more recent the very good Mercury on PSP). Alright it may look like crap, have a crap name and crap boxart but the reviews for this are high. "Hands on" previews are also very positive. Also there is a lot of content in there too.

QUOTE said:
* SOLO mode - with phantom cars and racing lines to guide you.
* RACE mode – go head-to-head against 7 friends or computer AI drivers.
* BATTLE mode - blast your opponents with massive weapons.
* 30 levels of dramatic racing action.
* Roller coaster race tracks with loops, twists, and hairpin turns.
* Stunning terrains set on colorful planets, floating asteroids, and space stations.
* Progressive level-unlock structure – play your way to the top of the innovative 3D pyramid menu.
* Engine upgrades and other car mods - over 160 variations to 6 basic cars.
* Off-track secret bonuses and hidden shortcuts.
* Use boost pads to make incredible jumps and accelerate into the SPEED ZONE!
* Revisit unlocked tracks with enhanced cars to set an overall Apex Score Rating.
* Unlock all levels, find all the secrets, earn all the bonuses and medals – it could take months!
* UP TO 8 PLAYERS (split screen) in Race and Battle modes using 4 Wii Remotes™ plus any combination of 4 Nunchuks™, Classic Controllers, Nintendo GameCube™ controllers, or Logitech® Speed Force Wireless™ force feedback racing wheels.

Could be one of those cult hits we get every now and again. Size is 1492 MB scrubbed so its nothing to download so I'm getting it now and will report back later if its worth your time. Been waiting for a arcadey racer like this for the Wii( Excitebots was too simular to Excite Truck), sort of reminds me of POD & Rollcage. Will fill the gap for if Nintendo ever decide to give us F-Zero.

swarmster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, after viewing the videos I was determined to bring up POD and Rollcage, only to find it had already been done, twice! Excellent job. If this is half the game those were it'll be awesome.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you've got a classic controller or Gamecube controller because the motion controls aren't good for this game. Its too fast for it and the tracks are too bendy too, you need non-motion imo.

Anyone expecting to play with nunchuck analog stick...its not there! You twist the nunchuck itself, though twisting works better than Wiimote motion controls its still pretty stupid to not let let players use analog control.

Game is fun though, single player is decent enough but I reckon the multiplayer part will be great...if you only use pads.

Looks like a higher res Dreamcast game but I cant say it bothers me. Desperately needs online.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more I play this the more I like it, its more about beating track times and so on rather than racing. Also customising your vehicle really does help with control but then so does playing with a Cube control.

I really like the track layouts and how you really have to have your wits about you to dodge various holes and obstacles.

If you're willing to put time in you've got a mighty fine game here.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Just grabbed this last night, can't wait to play it.

It seems like a game that I'd really enjoy playing as I love Trackmania/Rush/Rollcage. The graphics probably won't bother me much to be honest.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
This so reminds me of Hot Wheels Turbo Racing for the PS1 'n N64
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna get this.
smile.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
How's the multiplayer? And is that battle mode fun?
I've done four player and we've all had a lot fun with one classic controller and 3 Gamecube controllers. One of my friends despises the Gamecube controller, well and the Wii as well but I managed to confince him to play. Oddly my Wavebird doesn't respond at all, I tried it with Zelda Four Swords afterwards and it worked on that but then thats an actual retail disc and Speed Zone is running via USB Loader but still its worked on all supported Wii games via USB Loader before.

It really makes the game better ten fold, its a shame that there is no real racing in single player as it would have improved it. Battle is fun too, more so than Mario Kart but then I've never really taken to the Mario Kart battle modes.

Also I must add that there is no slowdown with four player split screen and the textures and what not look no worse. You can get why they went with the low grade look.

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
All I can picture is attempting to play 8 player split screen on my 18 inch CRT TV. ... Sigh I need a new TV
frown.gif

Okaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

i've tried the game and it seems to have potential, but the best feeling i get with it is when using the Gamecube controller's directionnal pad to turn.

Is it better with a Classic controller (i don't own it) ? How is the game configured for this one ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp