Wii #1476 - Speed Zone (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Aug 14, 2009.

Aug 14, 2009

Wii #1476 - Speed Zone (USA) by Chanser at 10:44 AM (3,102 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-2827^^

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Watched the trailer on youtube. It looks like it could be fun. But it also looks very outdated and I'm afraid there will be no real feeling of "controlling a vehicle" here. I'll pass and stick to Excite Truck.

3. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands

8 player split screen FTW

4. Ravager90

Newcomer Ravager90 Advanced Member

Egypt
    Graphics looks like P.O.D. from 1998 ... I actually like the retro feeling. Gonna test this one, multiplayer actions gonna rock!

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    This is by Archer Maclean who has made some real classics in his time (more recent the very good Mercury on PSP). Alright it may look like crap, have a crap name and crap boxart but the reviews for this are high. "Hands on" previews are also very positive. Also there is a lot of content in there too.

Could be one of those cult hits we get every now and again. Size is 1492 MB scrubbed so its nothing to download so I'm getting it now and will report back later if its worth your time. Been waiting for a arcadey racer like this for the Wii( Excitebots was too simular to Excite Truck), sort of reminds me of POD & Rollcage. Will fill the gap for if Nintendo ever decide to give us F-Zero.

6. swarmster

Newcomer swarmster Advanced Member

Canada
    Wow, after viewing the videos I was determined to bring up POD and Rollcage, only to find it had already been done, twice! Excellent job. If this is half the game those were it'll be awesome.

7. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    EDIT: Nevermind. Fixed what I was having problems with.

Can't wait to try this out.

8. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    I hope you've got a classic controller or Gamecube controller because the motion controls aren't good for this game. Its too fast for it and the tracks are too bendy too, you need non-motion imo.

Anyone expecting to play with nunchuck analog stick...its not there! You twist the nunchuck itself, though twisting works better than Wiimote motion controls its still pretty stupid to not let let players use analog control.

Game is fun though, single player is decent enough but I reckon the multiplayer part will be great...if you only use pads.

Looks like a higher res Dreamcast game but I cant say it bothers me. Desperately needs online.

9. Slave

Member Slave GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    New Generation of RUSH 2049 from Dreamcast!!! W00t!

10. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    The more I play this the more I like it, its more about beating track times and so on rather than racing. Also customising your vehicle really does help with control but then so does playing with a Cube control.

I really like the track layouts and how you really have to have your wits about you to dodge various holes and obstacles.

If you're willing to put time in you've got a mighty fine game here.

11. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Just grabbed this last night, can't wait to play it.

It seems like a game that I'd really enjoy playing as I love Trackmania/Rush/Rollcage. The graphics probably won't bother me much to be honest.

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    How's the multiplayer? And is that battle mode fun?

13. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Yes this does look fun. It looks like it keeps things simple.

14. Adr990

Member Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Netherlands
    This so reminds me of Hot Wheels Turbo Racing for the PS1 'n N64 [​IMG]

I'm gonna get this. [​IMG]

15. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    I've done four player and we've all had a lot fun with one classic controller and 3 Gamecube controllers. One of my friends despises the Gamecube controller, well and the Wii as well but I managed to confince him to play. Oddly my Wavebird doesn't respond at all, I tried it with Zelda Four Swords afterwards and it worked on that but then thats an actual retail disc and Speed Zone is running via USB Loader but still its worked on all supported Wii games via USB Loader before.

It really makes the game better ten fold, its a shame that there is no real racing in single player as it would have improved it. Battle is fun too, more so than Mario Kart but then I've never really taken to the Mario Kart battle modes.

Also I must add that there is no slowdown with four player split screen and the textures and what not look no worse. You can get why they went with the low grade look.

16. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    All I can picture is attempting to play 8 player split screen on my 18 inch CRT TV. ... Sigh I need a new TV [​IMG]

17. Okaro

Newcomer Okaro Newbie

France
    Hi,

i've tried the game and it seems to have potential, but the best feeling i get with it is when using the Gamecube controller's directionnal pad to turn.

Is it better with a Classic controller (i don't own it) ? How is the game configured for this one ?