Wii #1371 - EA SPORTS™ Grand Slam Tennis (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Jun 10, 2009.

Jun 10, 2009
  1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-2280^^

2. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    just got motion plus two hours ago and came home to play this right away. is it just me or does the motion plus in this game like suck. well not really since the controls are much better for aiming. i can get all the places. but i dont feel anyone 1:1 at all. I've been playing tennis for years now and this does not feel natural. its like learning the whole controls over again. its pretty frustrating at first. once i got used to it, i notice that you can't just swing the wiimote hard. you have to make it smooth and easy (but in real like, thats like a little tap with a racquet). however, the game is fun though. once i got over the fact that the MP wasn't used as 1:1 (for this game at least, or does it? cause i dont notice it at all!) , i appreciated its help in aiming! playing w/o it was really boring. hope tiger woods is much better.

3. xboxrules

Member xboxrules GBAtemp Regular

United States
    kind of sad to hear about not being able to "whack" the thing hard... like you I was (and still am because my WM+ is not here yet) expecting 1:1 and seeing the WiiMote recognize the hard hits and the soft...

4. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States

thank you this game not only sucks the wii motion plus does nothing as ive lost many games online due to it not even swinging, and i thought it was supposed to improve the game since the game is shit. Thank god there is virtua tennis 2009, but i really hope nintendo didn't have me waste $26 on a device that doesn't do anything but make the controller bigger than it needed to be.

5. shredman

Member shredman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    MotionPlus Works great with this game!

You guys obviously don't know how to actually swing a tennis raquet....!

1. Hold the remote (if right handed) with the B button facing right
    2. The back of the remote when swung to the right is a backhand
    3. The front of the remote when swung to the left is a forehand

Shot accuracy just like in real life is affected by your timing
    In order to hit a off forehand (a drifting forehand to the right) you
    must strike to ball quite late equally a off backhand is stuck very
    late in order for it to drift out harder.

I own the game with MP and it works great!
    Pete Sampras showed off the game at E3 and he was swinging the
    remote like a raquet and he was having no problems. You don't need to
    have weird motions to use this correctly.

6. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have not gotten motionplus..what exactly are the benefits of having it..what does it add to the remote..for those who have it

7. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I just picked up my 2 motion plus addons... gonna test with TW10 really soon (burning as I type)... but i can't find this yet, only PAL versions... hopefully my sources will have it soon as I really want to try this before I waste a download on the new Virtua Tennis, as I think this will be better.

8. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia

AHAHAHA so thats how you hold the wiimote!

I played a game online and I was hugely impressed... well that was before I bought my motion + and plugged in the nunchuck so all I was doing was swinging away [​IMG]

I need to invest some more time into this game to completely understand the controls, because as of now playing with motion + hasn't been a very good experience.

Anyways how often do I need to calibrate the motion +?

9. another_waster

Member another_waster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    PLayed on it for a few mins yesterday without the motion plus, all the shots seemed to be the same... I guess ya just need to practice? Also the load times seem REALLY slow for me

10. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    uhhh yes i do. and the game is meant top hold the racket with the a button facing up. how i know? because on the game loading screen it shows a pic of a shadow of a person holding it like that with the racket in a vertical position. also, i practice with practice mode holding the wiimote the way you said and it is not as accurate as holding it the right way.

11. DozerGuy

Member DozerGuy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just played a little prac and a quik online game and it was fun. i dont have wii motion plus yet but the game was still a lot af fun

12. EvanUnisil

Member EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I didn't like this as much as Virtua Tennis, the controls seem more accurate in that game, but this game has way better online modes! What a pain... I'm going to have to give this one another go tonight.

13. chooch81

Newcomer chooch81 Advanced Member

What firmware on the Wii does this need?

14. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    For those wondering, this game is better than Virtua Tennis without the Motion+ device and I can only see Grand Slam Tennis being better with it.

15. shredman

Member shredman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Phantastic91...

I am puzzled as to why you are having controller issues as when I swing the wiimote
    it swings just like a tennis racquet would...
    Sorry it doesn't work as well for you - I face the wiimote just like I do when I play
    tennis and the topspin and backspin and shot placement works just like it should.

I just passed on my experience with the game - I really enjoy it and have no
    problems with the controls and its accuracy. I hope you have better luck or you
    can try virtua tennis and see if that works for you.

Normally I hate the EA sports game series but if this is a new series then I wish
    them all the best at retail because I think its great!

SHREDMAN

16. TrainerAbu

Member TrainerAbu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whenever I pick to play against someone, it connects to them and the round starts, but then I instantly get a "Connection to opponent(s) lost" or whatever message and have to quit. Tried 5 more times and same thing kept happening. =(

17. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Hmmwell, I just tried this game (pal version) today with WMP and it almost seems as if there's something wrong with the game.

When you like at the guy in this video

he shows how he turns left/right/up/down and the character does exactly the same.

Well I tried exactly the moves that he does (also racket up/down moves) and the character looks more like a breakdancer on steroids (leftrightleftrightrightleft).
    It's insane. There just has to be something wrong with thist game. The motherfucker can't even stand still for a moment.

With Virtua Tennis and TW10 I had no problems. Could it be that GST has to install an update first for the WMP to run correctly?

18. EvanUnisil

Member EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Dude my character did the exact same thing as you (leftrightleftrightleftright) it doesn't make sense. And VT played great for me too. At least that game you can change the depth of your shot without pressing a button. I'm going to try this game again, hopefully tonight and see if I can figure out how you're supposed to play.

EDIT: Watching that video... just wow. If it can actually do that that'd be great. I didn't even get a scrubbed version of the game, so it doesn't make sense that it doesn't work. I'm playing PAL on NTSC, but that can't possibly make a difference. This is so ****ing stupid.

19. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Yeah, I totally agree that it's a stupid situation. I have a PAL Wii with a PAL game. The only problem I can think of is that I didn't do the update that's on the disc. Watching that video is almost painful because the guy controls the game with so much ease. While I'm constantly cursing and trying to keep the fucking character under control.

Right now it's not even wondering anymore, I KNOW there's something not right with our pirated copies. I believe that people who said it played great did have the original disc. So it has something to do with either the usb loader that can't handle it somehow, or the update that might be essential.

Anyways, the gameplay in the video is more or less the opposite of what I'm experiencing, and don't tell me I don't hold the Wiimote right because I've tried everything and even before hitting a ball the character is moving like he's a spastic maniac.

20. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    does nobody read previews?

to really see motion plus's benefits, you need to play tiger woods. grand slam tennis doesn't make a huge difference either way, and it's been said repeatedly on various sites.

but i love tennis, and can't wait to find the flippin' ntsc copy.