berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
We're trying this as we speak and both my wife and me think this game plays crap compared to Grand Slam Tennis. We don't have the WM+ yet so I can't comment about that feature. But the usual wiimote gameplay is frustratingly difficult. The blue bar that indicates where a shot is going to be placed is very distracting, the characters are much smaller, the view is far more topview and the feeling of involvement is much much less than in Grand Slam Tennis.

No matter what people may say. Right now I'd give this a 5/10 and Grand Slam Tennis a 8/10.

(I doubt I will even plays this game ever again)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Berlinka, massively disapointed with this. The hands on previews were positive but I think they were playing it with motion plus. I felt like my swinging did even less than in Wii Sports Tennis and when I won, it was by luck and not skill. I looked into the options praying that there was more traditional controls.

Grand Slam Tennis was more intuitive than this.

Seems very empty compared to previous games, to be honest I can't see how having more precise controls could make it better. Also it doesn't look that much better than the Dreamcast games, I can't see why it can't have more polish to it. Speaking of the Dreamcast version, I once played VT2 with the fishing rod and that was more responsive than this.

I will try it again when I get Motion+ but not again before. Perhaps the regular controls were an after thought.

maxdaling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing it for a solid hour with motion plus and I gotta say it's great. Grand slam wasn't doing anything for me with motion plus.... I was wondering if it was even working....(I'll try it more later.... I figure I just need to spend for time with it).... but Virtua Tennis works better than I thought it would for sure. I'd say about 80% of the time the ball is going where I want it to at the speed I'm aiming for. Lobs and drop shots work just how I'd think they would. I did notice some slowdown at a few points though.... so if anyone has virtua tennis and is hating it without motion plus.... Shell out the extra $25 for it, there will be games down the road you'll probably want it for anyway.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a couple of Motion+s just now, will play it tonight and report back what I think. Got all three motion+ games... fingers crossed they're Ok...

Oh and I'm a tennis lover so that will affect my judgement.

EDIT: Oh and I'll be playing with the significant other so I'll let you know what we both think
smile.gif

chachab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi!!
i have a 3.2e wii and the game doesn't work for me!
i tried with many loaders and with freeloader too, but when it comes to the menu, i have a screen telling me that the wii can't read the disc!
any idea, please?
thanks

slickric33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im at 3.2 u w/ wiikey 1.9s tried running w/ geekos w/002 fix and getting error w/ this and the ea tennis , any help for us thanks

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
We're trying this as we speak and both my wife and me think this game plays crap compared to Grand Slam Tennis. We don't have the WM+ yet so I can't comment about that feature. But the usual wiimote gameplay is frustratingly difficult. The blue bar that indicates where a shot is going to be placed is very distracting, the characters are much smaller, the view is far more topview and the feeling of involvement is much much less than in Grand Slam Tennis.

No matter what people may say. Right now I'd give this a 5/10 and Grand Slam Tennis a 8/10.

(I doubt I will even plays this game ever again)

My wife and I completely agree with this review. Holding the wii remote like a NES controller and shaking it was just as effective as tennis swings. Another use of "shake = button press".

QUOTE(maxdaling @ Jun 10 2009, 04:03 PM) I've been playing it for a solid hour with motion plus and I gotta say it's great. Grand slam wasn't doing anything for me with motion plus.... I was wondering if it was even working....(I'll try it more later.... I figure I just need to spend for time with it).... but Virtua Tennis works better than I thought it would for sure. I'd say about 80% of the time the ball is going where I want it to at the speed I'm aiming for. Lobs and drop shots work just how I'd think they would. I did notice some slowdown at a few points though.... so if anyone has virtua tennis and is hating it without motion plus.... Shell out the extra $25 for it, there will be games down the road you'll probably want it for anyway.

God, I hope you're right.

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the M+ and I thought this game sucked... the ball is going on my lefthand side but I can still hit it by swinging on my righthand side... feels like you can swing in any ways and it will hit the ball somewhere ... it seemed like you cannot control anything... and I know how to play real tennis!! Will give it another go but so far, only M+ game I like is Tiger Woods, it is really great

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah after playing Grand Slam Tennis and this for a good hour each I can confirm that this has way better motion+ control than the other, although neither are that great. But with Virtua Tennis you can control the depth of your shot depending on the strength of your swing and where you aim while you swing, as well as the timing, plays a larger part than that in Grand Slam Tennis. Controlling with the nunchuck is much easier in Virtua Tennis than Grand Slam Tennis, where I found my character constantly trying to turn himself around. In Virtua Tennis there's less AI interference in that regard and controlling with the nunchuck is a lot better than controlling without. This is the one area that Grand Slam Tennis is better than Virtua Tennis... control without the nunchuck. Virtua Tennis' character runs around, slipping and sliding all over the place, whereas GST the character gets into position much better. Still, the control issues in GST, even after your character gets himself into position, make it far more difficult to get the accurate shot you're trying to achieve.

All in all, VT was the much better experience for me, especially control wise. GST was starting to piss me off how much it was screwing up my shots.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bloody hell, so neither of these games are actually very good? I was so hoping for a perfect tennis game on the Wii with the WM+, and neither of these games seem to be that.
Hopefully they read the reviews and make the games a lot better.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Satangel said:
Bloody hell, so neither of these games are actually very good? I was so hoping for a perfect tennis game on the Wii with the WM+, and neither of these games seem to be that.
Hopefully they read the reviews and make the games a lot better.

Yeah man, I just tried out Tiger Woods too and as everyone else is saying that's true motion+ control. I'm sure they could do it in these games, they just can't figure it out yet. Give it time.

But overall, I recommend Virtua Tennis over the other in regards to motion+ control. The sad thing? I still think Wii Sports tennis is probably better.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've played some online matches and the guys just keep quitting on me (one guy, called Yannick from France I played like three times and after kicking his ass for the first three points he quit every time... he was serving too). It sucks, they should count it as a win and a loss when your opponent quits on you.

So then my girlfriend and I tried multiplayer single screen... this is not so good. When you're being served against it is almost impossible to accurately control your shots. You're at the top of the court and occasionally the score is even in your way so that you can't see, but trying to accurately take a shot is too hard. They should've made it split screen like Wii Sports. It really sucks because the motion+ in this game is fantastic, much MUCH better than what I experienced in GST... I'll have to give that one another try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay