Wifi problem on multiple devices?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Mar 8, 2011.

Mar 8, 2011
  1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    At my moms, my iPod, DSi, Wii, etc all connect perfectly to our WPA wifi.

Whenever we go somewhere, like a hotel or such, unlocked wifi connections work great.

However, when I go to my dads, he doesn't have wifi, but his neighbors do. It's unlocked, and has 3 bars on all devices. It won't connect on any of them though. It always gives an error even though it's unlocked?

Help?

2. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    The neighbors might have MAC filtering on. Unless they have your device is on the "approved" list, you can't use their stuff.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Or they might have that security feature that I can never remember the name of... the one where you have to push a button on the router to enable it to accept new devices for around 30 seconds (to add to a whitelist). Many routers that come free from ISPs are set to that by default (that I have seen at least).

4. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

He might also have configured it to only connect to a vpn gateway, which is a great setup btw.

so .... ask him? Oh wait, you wanted to just use his connection without his consent? [​IMG]

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    Are you saying you've never tried to steal someone's internet connection whilst away from home? Tsk tsk. What DO they teach kids these days?

Then again, my phone gives me (and any computers/laptops I want) internet access anywhere. I've even been on a cross-country train and used my phone tethered to my laptop to read manga and rant at people on these forums for making too many threads. the only downside is that the phone makes images look like they've been chewed through high JPG compression.

6. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    @Originality, I wish I had an iPhone or something that supports wifi tethering. Too bad they cost too much.

Well, I used to use the wifi near our house, but then they moved away, so now I am trying to use our other neighbors.

(If they have it unlocked but have a megabyte wifi plan (pay for how much you use it) then that's their fault not to lock it)

7. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Oops, wrong thread.

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    I assume that everybody has a phone - statistically 90% of of the population (in developed countries) has a phone. Of those, how many people use smartphones? I know a lot of people do (either an iPhone or an Android phone, with some business-types using a BlackBerry), but I assume most people don't.

I got mine for Christmas. Saved up a few months to get it, and used all the gift-money I got to finally get it.

9. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    I'd get one but the unlimited plan at Verizon is $30...