Widescreen USB Loader Cover Images

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by evvil, Apr 17, 2009.

?

What is your widescreen resolution?

1. NTSC/NTSC-J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PAL 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. PAL 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (post in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Apr 17, 2009
  1. evvil
    OP

Member evvil GBAtemp Regular

Ok guys it is now up and running [​IMG] http://www.theotherzone.com/wii/ Big thanks to both antiaverage [​IMG] (who nearly single handily made this happen) and of course the great djtaz [​IMG] (without his awesome site none of this would be possible) we all owe them much gratitude for there dedication to this great community! Thanks again fellas, your both top notch!

Ok for anyone making widescreen backgrounds, I have found the perfect size to start out with, make your bg, then resize to 640x480. I have been trying it out for a few hours, making, resizing measuring boxes on my tv, but I finally found it. The size you want to start with is 800x480 If you want to test this for yourself here is my test pic http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9862/800k.png turn off covers to measure boxes, they were perfect squares made in photoshop before the resize. The lines and numbers on the edges are showing how many pixels are being cut off (on my tv it cuts 16 from the top and 14 from the bottom) so try to keep important things out of the cut off area.

Again the size you want to start out with is 800x480, then make and complete your background, and then resize it to 640x480. Using these sizes you will get perfect aspect ratios!

*** Quick update***
    Ok I have been trying to figure out this pal 50 issue all night/day, I tried the suggested 640x520 and 640x528 both of those give me a code dump as soon as I press the button to enter the options menu. I did quite a bit of testing and I even tried 640x481 (just 1 pixel bigger!) and that gave me a code dump on pressing I then resized the exact same image to 640x480 and no dump on press. I am on a ntsc wii using component cables. So it looks like the pal 50 friendly sized backgrounds will not work for ntsc, could a pal 60 user test this as well? It seems as though we will need 2 different background size standards after all [​IMG] Im sorry guys I really tried to help, hopefully someone will eventually figure out a way to make the loader itself do the stretch.

2. Daileon

Member Daileon GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    It sure would be nice, since the devs are having problem with the resize functions...

3. infamousdragon

Newcomer infamousdragon Member

United States
    I would definitely make good use of this. Stretched covers look ugly on my TV [​IMG]

4. evvil
    OP

Yes exactly! and this way it would work for any loader/version no need to debug tons of code. We really only need 2 sizes of box art 4:3 and 16x9 so if this happens the site would be an end all be all repository for wii box art [​IMG]

5. Kosaic

Member Kosaic GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I'm all for this, what the big deal about resizing the cover pack ?

I can do all the images available (1000+) in 1 minute, as well as rename all 1000 in 15 minutes.

Just say the word !!!!!

(and give me the new sizes [​IMG] )

6. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    I asked djtaz about this a while ago. Hopefully he will host the widescreen versions.

7. evvil
    OP

size is up in the air for now play around and see what works best, names would be the same, they would be kept in different folder of your sd

8. Kosaic

Canada
    If someone will give me the proper size, and naming convention for the Widescreen Covers, I will do them NOW

Posts merged

Agree, and if you notice on the covers site, my "name" might just be mentioned [​IMG]

Your in good hands

9. chibiushi

Newcomer chibiushi Member

United States
    I would like this too, (the site could use imagemagik to convert the images as soon as a new one was added)

10. Kosaic

Canada
    Let me ask this ... Why 120x220 ? The aspect ratio is off if you do a straight conversion from 160x225 obviously, and the picture looks "skinny"

I'm at a loss as to why a background cannot be made for 16x9 , while maintaining 160x225 image sizes ..

Are the 120x220 getting stretched when loaded or something ?

I'm missing something here.

11. evvil
    OP

Yes they get streched, there is no way in homebrew to do proper 16x9 (not even the HomeBrew Channel itself) so we have to squish the images smaller so when they get streched they look right.

12. Kosaic

Canada
  13. donnyp

Newcomer donnyp Advanced Member

United States
    here are all the covers pulled from djtaz's site. Resized to 120x225 and they work perfectly on my widescreen tv.

100 mb file, all folders are inside the included rar.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1l3nmndjjyd

let me know what you think. I posted this on a different thread a few days back.

14. Kosaic

Canada
    LOL, did you not read my post directly before yours ? [​IMG]

Why 120x225? , and how old is this pack now exactly? Mine is new, as of less than an hour ago. MANY images are added daily (I'm a moderator at that site, and was the original creator of the images)

Just hate someone to duplicate work, especially incorrectly.

15. Reign1

Newcomer Reign1 Member

United States
    Hmm... why exactly are people saying 120x220? Shouldnt it be 120x225? I dont think the loader stretches vertically, only horizontally, and the original images are 160x225, no?

16. Kosaic

Canada
    Good point ... You know what the REAL problem is, there are 1000000000 loaders out there in every shape and form known to human kind.

There is no consistency AT ALL .. it is just a free for all.

Hence, MANY different size cover images floating around.

My thought is: 160x225 be the standard, and figure out the proper coding (within the loader) that works to resize them for each and every loader & application. (4:3 , 16:9 , 50Hz , 60-Hz, etc ....)

Otherwise, we are all like ducks with one leg, constantly swimming in circles.

17. xem1x

Member xem1x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yea, im sticking with a loader that works with the standard 160x225. Makes life easier.

18. donnyp

United States
    yes, i read your post, just thought I would add to it. I resized mine to 120x225 because using widescreen you have to make the width skinner for them work. That resolution works perfect on my widescreen and fits the backgrounds perfectly.

I got the covers 3 days ago from djtaz's website, I downloaded all regions into a .zip, resized them, then re upped them to fit with the widescreen settings.

Sorry if i offended anyone, just trying to do my part.

19. evvil
    OP

We can figure out the best size for widescreen later! Im just trying to see if anyone else wants widescreen versions to be hosted at all. We don't need more then 2 sets just 4:2 and 16x9 thats it no loader will use different setting then that. Pal looks fine with both.

Dude we have been trying for days!!! it won't work, the library that resizes the images breaks the rest of the loader! (the wii only has so much memory) This may be a quick fix but it would also be a permanent one and would work for ALL loaders using the 16x9 setting.

20. donnyp

United States
    yes, i think it would be a great idea for djtaz to host both sets on his website. one for 4:3 and one for 16:9

Then the user can do as he/she prefers. Then Depending on which background they decide to us, they can alter them to their liking.