murkurie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

With recent advances in lasers, many have fantasized about creating "real life lightsabers". Many military commanders have fantasized about creating portable blasters along the lines of those portrayed in fictional workers like Star Trek and Star Wars. The Spyder III Pro Arctic laser from WickedLasers can be seen perhaps as the culmination of those efforts and perhaps the first consumer laser weapon.

The laser is built with a diode from Casio's new mercury-free Green Slim projectors which ironically have a somewhat blue tint. The laser is rated at 1 watt of power and retails for a mere $200 USD.
http://www.dailytech.com/WickedLasers+Unve...rticle18681.htm

buy laser here -> http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_...ries-96-37.html
276.jpg

As of today(6/17/2010), you now need to prove over 18 to buy this.

Screw that 100mw laser I bought last week. I actually may buy one of these later this week, have to ask parents though, no way I'm buying without permission even though I can

PS if this is in the wrong spot please move it

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope parents won't buy this for kids thinking that it's a toy...
Who knows what will happen...
rolleyes.gif

"woo i is jedi"
*slash slash slash slash*
"OWW MY EYE"
*slash slash slash slash"
*whole house catches fire*

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow! I actually work with lasers and I can't begin to tell you how frikken dangerous this is - no shit man this is crazy stuff!
A Class4 laser ? With no safety features ? Fuck that, I'm outta here........

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't think it's the smartest thing they are selling it freely like that.

Shouldn't there be some kind of control over who's getting it..if it is really that dangerous, and I have no doubt it is, I don't think that it should be so easy to obtain.

murkurie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SmuffTheMagicDragon said:
Wow! I actually work with lasers and I can't begin to tell you how frikken dangerous this is - no shit man this is crazy stuff!
A Class4 laser ? With no safety features ? Fuck that, I'm outta here........
If you clicked the wicked laser site, all there lasers have "key switch and a safety interlock" which means they can sell as powerfully as they want in the USA. And to buy this laser you must sign a waiver. This is the only company I know of outside the USA that sells lasers that you can import legally above 5mw
happy.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sorry to put a downer on this but....
UN-F**KING-BELIVABLE
Who in their right mind would put such a thing as a commercial product where ANYONE can buy such a thing for such a measly $200 AND make it look like a bloody toy !!!!

I can see it now - Terrorists taking their children along carrying such a device & if stopped claim 'it's my kid toy'

murkurie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Sorry to put a downer on this but....
UN-F**KING-BELIVABLE
Who in their right mind would put such a thing as a commercial product where ANYONE can buy such a thing for such a measly $200 AND make it look like a bloody toy !!!!

I can see it now - Terrorists taking their children along carrying such a device & if stopped claim 'it's my kid toy'
You know anyone with a solder iron, could just get one of those projectors and make it themselves right? I have a friend who made a 200mw violet laser out of HD-DVD drive, it's really powerfully, but he has made it so he and me only can use it.

Whooosh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WOAH thats friggin awesome. Any vids of it lighting randoM stuff on fire
flame-010.gif

Wish i would be allowed get one. Thats what i always wanted. . . . . . . . . . . .. .

HAHA imma get this and challenge my cousin to a duel. . . . . . .with his plastic lightsaber. MWA HA HA
biggrin.gif

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh.. I find it weird that a 1 watt laser sells for only $200 but their other lasers, such as their Executive 60mw, also sells for that much.. Not to mention blue lasers are about 10x harder to make than green, making them 10x more expensive.
unsure.gif

murkurie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defiance said:
Huh.. I find it weird that a 1 watt laser sells for only $200 but their other lasers, such as their Executive 60mw, also sells for that much.. Not to mention blue lasers are about 10x harder to make than green, making them 10x more expensive.
unsure.gif
Actually they now have Blue Diode, so there as common as red now, green is still the hardest to make, because they can't figure out how to create a Diode, right now green lasers are made by shooting infrared at high power into a crystal that changes the wavelength down to 532nm which is green, violet or blu lasers are 405nm which they have diodes for also apperantly, but this laser runs at 445 so it actually looks blue, I have a "blue" laser but it looks violet because it is.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Anyone else get the feeling that they wouldn't let this arrive in the UK without supervision from the SAS?Actually there's been an article in todays newspaper... Apparently since it's made abroad / sold abroad and avaliable over the Internet... There's nothing the UK can do about it.....

QUOTEA LASER used as a lightsaber to act out Star Wars movie duels could become a deadly weapon - and officials can do nothing to stop it being brought into the country.....

.....Despite its deadly force, Trading Standards chiefs are powerless to stop it being bought by Brits on the internet.

Trading Standards' Christine Heemskerk said: "We are seriously concerned about the sale of these products - which should only be for industrial use.
"But because these lasers are manufactured abroad, there is nothing we can do to stop their sale over the internet."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/featu...l#ixzz0r7FfX4R3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto