Wich ios to use

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by goteks, Sep 16, 2013.

1. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    Hey so i used the easy tutorial to install hbc on my vwii. I was wondering how to play super smash bros. brawl and metroid trilogy. On my regular wii i had to tweak with some more updated ios. So i'm wondering wich ios should i use to play these games? Otherwise, is there a way to play these games in the vwii?

Thanks!

2. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    If u followed the tutorial to hack the vwii, ur done. U may want to install ios236 if u didn't (but i think u don't even need that to play backups). wiiflow and usb loader they will work without any tweaks, i have metroid and the backup plays without changing any setting.

3. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    Thanks, i think i'll install ios236 because metroid trilogy is not working for me...

are you on ios52beta or 53beta?

and is it other M or trilogy that works for you?

4. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    I installed the 52beta, and it's the trilogy one. With one of the loaders, dun remember which, it even allows to choose which of the 3 metroids to load into directly.

5. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    wow... well thanks, i'll try an other loader then. i'm using wiiflow and it crashes at the start.

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You don't need IOS236 at all for Wii games!
    USB Loaders NEVER load that IOS.

USBLoaderGX let you choose which Metroid to start if you select the option "Alternative dol -> Ask on launch", otherwise it will boot the official game menu to select the games.
    By loading the chosen Metroid directly from the loader, you can't select game difficulty, so it's better to use the official menu.

7. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada

Oh un cousin! :)

Thanks i will try the latest version of USBloaderGX!

8. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Why does'nt anybody use Modmii anymore to get the proper files for softmodding?

9. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    I'll check it out!

On a second note, i downloaded usbloadergx 3.0 and i cannot see both ssbb and metroid trilogy... on wii flow i forced ios249 and ssbb works perfectly but in both case i am still unable to run trilogy.. any insight?

Thanks

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    If you can't see the games, there are different reasons:

- They are not in the correct place/folder/name. use WiiBackupManager to force a path fix (setting>FAT32 NTFS>Naming convention: Game[ID], and enable the option called "Automatically fix naming convention on partition mount")
    - They are not correctly dump (but it should be displayed in the loader even if the dump are bad, so it's likely not this problem)
    - You have settings which hide these games: There are different settings to display/hide games. starting by the "Favorite" setting (only display games with at least 1 star), then the Parental lock (if the loader is locked, all games with rank higher than the parental control are hidden), and the Category filtering (you can set categories to games and choose to filter games by categories).

11. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    Thanks Cyan, with wiibackupmanager i found out that the file was kind of currupted and also 3 other games. it's a very useful tool!

12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's working fine now after adding/dumping them again?

You are using FAT32 or WBFS partition format? WBFS is easilly corrupted. when adding new games it can corrupt old games.

13. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    I'm using fat32. maybe one of the problem was that i was using a software under macos wich might be unable to transfer correctly my wbfs files. i tried it under windows and it was perfect. i havent found how to boot directly into metroid prime but it's not a deal breaker to load trilogy then choose prime.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Wii Backup Fusion ?
    I've read it's making corrupted ISO when splitting the .wbfs in multiple files.
    (example)

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Last I checked it wasn't updated for Wii U compatibility (vWii cIOSes missing, incompatible forwarder, and brick potential if you choose an option not compatible with the Wii U...)

16. Warlord698
    This message by Warlord698 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Sep 23, 2013, Reason: requested.
    Sep 23, 2013
  17. goteks
    OP

goteks Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2004
    Canada

yep exactly that! i used it for metroid but it worked for ssbb....