Why won't my SD work?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by bmaster154, Jun 1, 2010.

Jun 1, 2010

Why won't my SD work? by bmaster154 at 12:50 AM (1,352 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. bmaster154
    OP

Newcomer bmaster154 Advanced Member

Canada
    I want to install the homebrew channel on my Wii, and the first step is putting the required files and all on the SD card, right? Well, for apparently no reason, it won't let me drag and drop files onto it, not even look into it! It just asks me to format it, but even afterwards, it apparently is un-formatable. I tried using a format software, I looked around the Internet about it, but nothing ever worked! It was all in vain... I just want to get done with it, but that stupid piece of plastic won't let me in! Any solution/advice?

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    there may be a physical switch on the card itself that is locking write access, if so, make sure it is unlocked

3. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    Yes, I tried that, and sadly, it didn't work. I even tried on another computer and it stayed "unformatted".

4. XFlak

Canada
    make sure the plastic part of the SD card isn't covering the actual metallic contact point of the sd card. My friend had the same problem, and when we actually took a close look at it, we noticed that the plastic was partially covering the contact point, we just bent it back in place and it started working.

I doubt that ur problem is the same as that one, but u never know

5. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Format it with this Formatter: Link.

6. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    I was hoping it would work, but no better result. Is there some specific way I should format it? It's a 2GB Kodak, and so I was wondering if it mattered as to which kind of format I chose.

7. XFlak

Canada
    either FAT or FAT32

8. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    I heard about those, are they that good? Are they made for this kind of purposes?

9. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    That sounds weirdly interesting. I don't have a whole lot of money right now, but all I want is to have a Wii capable of playing games from other systems (emulating?) and having homebrew; anything to replace this now hardly working machine next to my tv.

10. XFlak

Canada
    U can get one of those 2GB sandisk SD cards for $5-10

but u only really NEED one of those card initially to hack your wii (and again if anything goes wrong u will need it again to use bootmii), in the long run, u would want to invest in an external hard drive (if u dont have an sd card, it must be at least partially formatted as fat32)... U are going to need the space for roms 4 your emulators and a lot of other things too

11. bmaster154
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, well I'm not good at detecting sarcastic-ness, so... But since I heard games take a lot of space, I figure I'll need a couple of those?

12. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    or FAT16, which works fine. Obviously no good for cards above 4gb though.