Homebrew Why won't my SD work?

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to install the homebrew channel on my Wii, and the first step is putting the required files and all on the SD card, right? Well, for apparently no reason, it won't let me drag and drop files onto it, not even look into it! It just asks me to format it, but even afterwards, it apparently is un-formatable. I tried using a format software, I looked around the Internet about it, but nothing ever worked! It was all in vain... I just want to get done with it, but that stupid piece of plastic won't let me in! Any solution/advice?

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
there may be a physical switch on the card itself that is locking write access, if so, make sure it is unlocked
Yes, I tried that, and sadly, it didn't work. I even tried on another computer and it stayed "unformatted".

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
make sure the plastic part of the SD card isn't covering the actual metallic contact point of the sd card. My friend had the same problem, and when we actually took a close look at it, we noticed that the plastic was partially covering the contact point, we just bent it back in place and it started working.

I doubt that ur problem is the same as that one, but u never know

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
Format it with this Formatter: Link.
I was hoping it would work, but no better result. Is there some specific way I should format it? It's a 2GB Kodak, and so I was wondering if it mattered as to which kind of format I chose.

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
bmaster154 said:
Hakoda said:
Format it with this Formatter: Link.
I was hoping it would work, but no better result. Is there some specific way I should format it? It's a 2GB Kodak, and so I was wondering if it mattered as to which kind of format I chose.
Throw it away and get a sandisk instead.
I heard about those, are they that good? Are they made for this kind of purposes?

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
bmaster154 said:
I heard about those, are they that good? Are they made for this kind of purposes?
Well, it's just an SD card. Nothing uber special, but at least they're reliable. No they aren't made for hacking wii's. But I do have this super awesome SD card packed with software that I'll sell you for $50, and it will be for this type of purpose.
That sounds weirdly interesting. I don't have a whole lot of money right now, but all I want is to have a Wii capable of playing games from other systems (emulating?) and having homebrew; anything to replace this now hardly working machine next to my tv.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U can get one of those 2GB sandisk SD cards for $5-10

but u only really NEED one of those card initially to hack your wii (and again if anything goes wrong u will need it again to use bootmii), in the long run, u would want to invest in an external hard drive (if u dont have an sd card, it must be at least partially formatted as fat32)... U are going to need the space for roms 4 your emulators and a lot of other things too

bmaster154

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
bmaster154 said:
DeadlyFoez said:
bmaster154 said:
Well, it's just an SD card. Nothing uber special, but at least they're reliable. No they aren't made for hacking wii's. But I do have this super awesome SD card packed with software that I'll sell you for $50, and it will be for this type of purpose.
That sounds weirdly interesting. I don't have a whole lot of money right now, but all I want is to have a Wii capable of playing games from other systems (emulating?) and having homebrew; anything to replace this now hardly working machine next to my tv.
I was really being sarcastic. Get a 2gb sandisk SD card from walmart for $10. That card has always worked with everything homebrew that I throw at it.
Yeah, well I'm not good at detecting sarcastic-ness, so... But since I heard games take a lot of space, I figure I'll need a couple of those?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.