Why we need r4? What stop us?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by naxil, Jan 25, 2015.

1. naxil
    OP

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    Hi tempers! ! I have see lot of good news around 3ds.
    My question is Why we can use any dat with custom site?
    What stop us to run homebrew without r4? Launch cfw ecc? I cant understand why that not happen

2. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension

basically because the .dat files are encrypted so we can't dissect them to have a look and reverse engineer them to make whatever we want

this is done so that flashcarts like gateway (or, "R4", as you put it) still make a profit.

3. naxil
    OP

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    Thanks for answerme
    Now we have arm9 and arm11 via custom site hack.
    The old launcher.dat we start via nds hack is opensource?

4. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    the source of gw version 1 is reverse enginered if that's what you mean, and there's memoffset as opensource the new gw web exploit is also mostly reverse enginered. pm me if you'll need the sources

5. naxil
    OP

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    I haven't understood why with the jan news (ylanfu works ecc) .. we haven't those dat.
    With the ds hack exist lot of dat signed for gw ds hack....

6. Slushie3DS

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    Yifan has already reversed the launcher, as per his spider3DStools were created. There are also mirrors of the webpage that are able to launch non-encrypted binary files. There is a long road ahead of us before any type of CFW, but many things are arising since ARM9 and ARM11 tools have been released. Yifan has also stated that he should be able to use the a WebKit hack to link with other stages so we can launch Ninjhax's boot.3dsx via our browser. I hope that answered your questions.