Hacking Why some LayeredFS games don't work.

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
Most people's reason for sticking with TX is because TX's product is stable, and LayeredFS isn't. Well, LayeredFS actually is, however right now it's user error that causes the issues. If you couldn't guess it, this is a thread explaining why certain games don't work. It's the SDK. Your donor game's SDK version needs to match your backup's SDK version. I likely do not see a patch for this to work around that in the real LayeredFS by SciresM, so at this point I'd just say "Try using a donor game made at the same time." for the fix.
Please remember that LayeredFS is unfinished, so there may not always be free donor games on the right SDK version.
This thread is purely informative, not news.
Hope this helps people with backups!

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's interesting. Did notice a few patterns, like how Octopath Traveller Prologue demos would typically work where the Fortnite donor crashed at "saving" screens, and they'd consistently have the Switch loading screen border overlayed on top of the game.

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. Did notice a few patterns, like how Octopath Traveller Prologue demos would typically work where the Fortnite donor crashed at "saving" screens, and they'd consistently have the Switch loading screen border overlayed on top of the game.
The Switch loading border may be an issue with LayeredFS. It can be fixed with going home and back.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Also some games will hand trying to load save data of the donor title. Therefore donor save data should be deleted first before launching layered game for the first time! It doesn't happen for all games though!

Funnymouth659

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is it possible that the sdk version gets updated with the game as well?
I used Mario Odyssey (eshop, latest ver.) as donor for like 6 or 7 games, both older and newer releases, and yet to find anything that doesn't run on it!

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
Could be in relation to file save restrictions. File size of game not too much of an issue. I was able to run skyrim using pinball fx3 demo perfectly with saves working.

During decryption some games result in more files in the exefs/ folder. Any mismatch between donor and injected in this case may also cause issues

Creatable

OP
Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
So, since we apparently don't know why games like SMO wont run via LayeredFS, how much of your initial post about donor games requiring the correct SDK version is speculation/guessing?
The SDK version thing is correct, I got that info from a trusted developer.

Jah Nix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah - I'd have to agree... SMO and other Nintendo titles are probably written with a in-house SDK and that's why I reckon they work well as donors...

xXonetimeuseXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exfat works better than fat32 sdcards. Files over 4 gigs won't transfer over to fat32 format sd's that's probly why most of the bigger ROMs u try don't load correctly because the romsfs.bin won't transfer correctly

dgr1592

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Exfat works better than fat32 sdcards. Files over 4 gigs won't transfer over to fat32 format sd's that's probly why most of the bigger ROMs u try don't load correctly because the romsfs.bin won't transfer correctly

If that was the problem a pop up will shows that files can't be moved.

There is a problem with the trimmed roms too (I had it with FIFA) or wrong downloads.

xXonetimeuseXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that was the problem a pop up will shows that files can't be moved.

There is a problem with the trimmed roms too (I had it with FIFA) or wrong downloads.
My PC would transfer xenovers2 over. Say it transferd with no errors bit the romsfs.bin never showed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work