apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
PsyBlade said:
are you sure the files are the same?
maybe riped with different settings?

QUOTE(9th_Sage @ May 5 2010, 12:12 PM) I don't understand this either. WBFS files, which you'd probably get if you'd been ripping games to FAT32, should take up about the same amount of space as the games on NTFS would (be they WBFS files or sparse files).

Kid you not, there was no re-ripping either (that would explain it nicely) this was a copy/paste from one drive to the other for 95 of the .wbfs files and the remaining six were over 4gb so when moving them to the FAT32 drive I needed to split them, but I checked the sizes were correct after and they work fine.

I guess the next step is do a simple 'dir' on both drives and copy/paste the results.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
apoptygma said:
smf said:
Once you have games in .wbfs files, then storing them split every 4gb is irrelevant (as long as you store the games in directories, which isn't hard).

I've got my split files *not* in directories and it works fine - Is this expected? I mean by that all my .wbfs files are in a wbfs folder, including the split ones... I've read before they are supposed to have their own sub-folders but when I did it I just threw them right in with the rest and it was fine. I'm guessing if the game tries to read data in the second 'chunk' i'm going to get a crash? I should probarbly fix this. What's the naming convention for the folders? just the disc ID?

Putting them in directories is to help humans, the Wii shouldn't care.

Someone was advocating NTFS because he wanted one file per game in one folder and couldn't cope with the possiblity of having two files for a game or subdirectories.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ciris said:
(since discovering CFG usb loader boots .iso's, my next project will be to convert all the wbfs titles to sparse .iso's. for easy burning to disks)

I'm intrigued, how much time do you actually spend burning iso's to disc?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
apoptygma said:
I guess I'm more concerned about other issues like the >4gb files not being split causing issues, or for some reason a loader not working.
Honestly...I don't get this concern. Ever played a PC game? Back there, it's as normal as can be that games are "split" in multiple files, and it's never an issue. Serious: I have used split files for MONTHS now, and I have yet to see a first error because of it*, either in the loader or the game itself. And considering you're using it as well...what kind of errors did you have?

*I'm not counting uloader here. The .ciso files it uses apparently can't be split on a FAT32 partition.

What you responded to is NOT what he said. He siad he is concerned about files that are NOT split to cause issues. You rebutted on how your files that ARE split have caused you zero problems. So yes, you read his statement completely backwards.

The question is, has anyone had problems by NOT splitting wbfs files and on an NTFS partition?

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally have not had any issues with full-size (non-split) isos on an NTFS partition (using CFG USB Loader).

...but then again, I do not use USB Loading very often, so I may not have "tested" this enough.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OrGoN3 said:
The question is, has anyone had problems by NOT splitting wbfs files and on an NTFS partition?

It's supposed to work. You could get problems if there is a bug in the loader, but that could happen no matter what format you use.

usb loader gx definately is more stable if you use WBFS files on FAT32 (stick to rev 921 + hermes v4).

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
smf said:
OrGoN3 said:

It's supposed to work. You could get problems if there is a bug in the loader, but that could happen no matter what format you use.

usb loader gx definately is more stable if you use WBFS files on FAT32 (stick to rev 921 + hermes v4).

This is my current setup, FAT32 WBFS files and rev 921 with hermes v4 (37+38 merge). Works with everything I throw at it apart from the sam & max games which I have CFG for. I'm still not convinced enough to use CFG as my primary loader, the interface just looks so cheap and nasty compared to GX. Has anyone taken the time to make a proper Wii-like skin for CFG with 10-ft fonts and similar typeface/colors?

dwmyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My reason for having NTFS was the fact that formatting FAT32 in windows only lets you use 32 gig partitions. I'm sure there's some way around that though...

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
dwmyke said:
My reason for having NTFS was the fact that formatting FAT32 in windows only lets you use 32 gig partitions. I'm sure there's some way around that though...

Yea third party tools do it really easy and *fast* but windows can also do it from a command line, I tried having windows do it the first time, and after about 6 hours to format the 500gb drive I got the error "Drive too big for FAT32" so I downloaded another app to do it. M$ eh. what can you do
tongue.gif

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
ciris said:
(since discovering CFG usb loader boots .iso's, my next project will be to convert all the wbfs titles to sparse .iso's. for easy burning to disks)

I'm intrigued, how much time do you actually spend burning iso's to disc?

Only if a friend or family member wanted a backup of a title I could just right click and burn a disk straight to imageburn. (just trying to cut down the time of converting .wbfs files to .iso first)

A little lazy and impatient? Maybe...lol

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've been using NTFS for quite awhile now with sparse isos without splitting. Seems to work fine for me.
I like being able store other files on my external drive, some would be over 4GB. Also the fact NTFS will allow me to defragment my drive properly (folders included) without doing anything special.

NTFS is a far superior file system compared to FAT32, which suffers performance loss on larger volume sizes. I believe it's something to do with a large file allocation table which takes more time to process. Probably why Microsoft imposed limits on Windows when it comes to formatting FAT32 drives.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edhel said:
I like being able store other files on my external drive, some would be over 4GB. Also the fact NTFS will allow me to defragment my drive properly (folders included) without doing anything special.

I like having one partition & FAT is supported more than NTFS.
Not just on the Wii, but my NAS and PS2.

>4gb files and defragging directories aren't that important, in comparison to not working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1