why no new roms?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by morphius, Jul 16, 2011.

Jul 16, 2011

why no new roms? by morphius at 10:12 PM (6,890 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. morphius
    OP

Member morphius The King of the Cosmos

United States
    Was just curious if anyone has any insight as to why no new roms have been dumped. Is it a technical reason, such as the dumper can only work with certain carts. Or is it some other reason?

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Legacy have yet to dump more ROM's, and they haven't handed out how they did it. Nobody else has developed a method yet. I think those three games were just a heads up that it's possible, but if anybody else wants more dumps, they're going to have to figure it out themselves.

3. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    What are you going to do with new roms, look at them in a folder? Since there's no flash cart for the 3DS or an emulator there's no reason to release more roms. For people and teams working on development there's three roms to get them started.

4. morphius
    OP

Member morphius The King of the Cosmos

United States
    I know they are of no use currently. I was just curious why none but the original 3 have been dumped. You would think Legacy would try to dump as many as they can early on before anyone else can.

5. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    They aren't in it for the popularity. Judging by the NFO's for the games, they despise what the DS scene turned into and are still carrying that hatred around with them.

6. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    Why is that ??

Pip'

7. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    It's just typical drama. Nerds are not immune to it

8. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Pretty much what synce said. In everything that there is, drama is there. Everybody can drama it up in some way, shape, or form. The NFO seems to relay some heavy dislike towards the likes of Chinese shops who just take ideas and dump out their own piece of poo for nothing but profit. I need to read the NFO again to get a better idea.

9. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    meh I could care less what legacy thinks of the community of people interested in dumps, as long as they serve their purpose.

10. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    I wouldn't be surprised is other teams have dumped roms but are keeping it secret while they work of a flash card.

11. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    It isn't wholly unlikely, though the ROM's dumped should serve as plenty good for testing purposes. I mean, if Legacy figured it out so soon, I would hope that some other groups were resourceful enough to get something done.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Not saying there is not always drama but the standards the DS scene held itself to and what the ideals/standards of earlier "scenes" (granted we might be experiencing a bit of rose tinted glasses- http://vimeo.com/15400820 ) were markedly different (and yeah they elaborated on those reasons pretty well in their NFOs- not much cracking instead shifting to rely on either Chinese manufacturers or others, not much custom hardware, not many trainers, not many intros....).

"Nobody else has developed a method yet"- I thought some of the people playing in the "actually doing hacking work for the 3ds" side of things had got some stuff working.

13. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    No reason to dump more ROMs when the currently dumped ones (2 Roms I think..) can't be emulated atm.

14. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    There are three of them.

15. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Also you can't even use them yet.

16. Karaflaga Tumeeg

Newcomer Karaflaga Tumeeg Member

United Kingdom
    I doubt the groups would waste time dumping roms when that time could be better spend doing other things.

17. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room as well... that is no one knows if they are even real or in any way shape or form workable.

Why's that? Because they are encrypted and we don't have any key to decrypt them. As far as I know, no one even knows if there is a valid file structure discovered yet or if that too is encrypted... in which case we can't even tell when one file ends and the next one begins.

(edit) what I mean is... they may even be 'valid dumps' but because of how they were encrypted they might be totally useless even if we can figure it all out. We may need to have the system hacked and have it decoding the games itself if we can't manage to get the encryption keys.

18. bonzobanana

Newcomer bonzobanana Newbie

United Kingdom
    Does anyone know if the rom files were actually run and worked via some sort of cloned cartridge or is LGC assuming they have dumped correctly. I mean you don't have to decrypt it if you just do a perfect 1:1 copy and create an electronic replica of a normal cartridge.

I have a question sort of related this and thats if you xray each cartridge can you tell its capacity? I'm just curious what size each cartridge is. I hate not knowing this sort of information for some reason. Of the 3 games dumped 2 were 256 megabyte and 1 was 512 megabyte. The same sizes as the biggest DS cartridges. I'd like to know when Nintendo start using bigger cartridges. Doesn't seem like a lot of content in 3DS cartridges. I have Rayman 3D and its great but its hard to believe its anymore than about 128 megabytes. I think the original is 32 megabytes on the N64 and the 3DS uses superior compression I believe. I'd just like to know what sizes they are.

I think Nintendo should clearly state on the boxes the gigabit size of cartridges. In the old NES days it was quite good to know how big a cartridge was in megabit terms.

19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Take an exacto knife to your cards and get back to us, see if the chips have anything on them. Xraying won't do any good... you'll see right through the entire thing.

20. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    If the 3Ds is not going to be as popular as the DS, it may even be less interesting to hack after all. Just a thought.