Hardware Why no antialiasing ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS' screen is quite low resolution and it could really use some antialiasing. And despite AA is listed as one of Pica200's features, it seems that no game is using it at the moment.

2xFSAA (Full Screen Antialiasing) basically forces hardware to render 4 times as many pixels as normally. I understand it would drastically decrease framerate of most games. But what about Nintendo's Home Menu ? Game menus ? Character selection screens ? They are really simple, so why no one uses antialiasing there ? For instance, car model and track selection in Ridge Racer looks really ugly due to the "jaggies"...

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
pachura said:
3DS' screen is quite low resolution and it could really use some antialiasing. And despite AA is listed as one of Pica200's features, it seems that no game is using it at the moment.

2xFSAA (Full Screen Antialiasing) basically forces hardware to render 4 times as many pixels as normally. I understand it would drastically decrease framerate of most games. But what about Nintendo's Home Menu ? Game menus ? Character selection screens ? They are really simple, so why no one uses antialiasing there ? For instance, car model and track selection in Ridge Racer looks really ugly due to the "jaggies"...
Some games use it when 3D is off and FSAA is Full Scene (not screen) Anti-Aliasing

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Porobu said:
Some games use it when 3D is off
Which games exactly ?
They've announced that this will be the case for RE, but it's not out yet.

QUOTE(Ikki @ Jun 4 2011, 07:51 PM) I believe it's because the 3D supposedly has it's own antialiasing-ish effect.
This was what everyone was hoping for, but in reality the jaggies look even worse in 3D (at least for me).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To display three screens at once, two of them being the 3D display, requires greater computing power than Anti-aliasing would probably allow.
Some games already suffer a little frame loss during 3D mode.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
RupeeClock said:
To display three screens at once, two of them being the 3D display, requires greater computing power than Anti-aliasing would probably allow.
And it would be one anti-aliasing per screen, right?

That'd be kinda too much.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pippin666 said:
There is a part in SSF4 with AA + 3D. Right before a fight during the character introdution. Some cutscene in DoA also have AA + 3D.
I'm not sure about SSF4, because some objects during this pre-fight cutscene seem like antialiased, and some don't. Maybe it's just strong bloom effect which looks a bit like antialiasing.

Ergo said:
Probably because implementing it isn't 'free', resource wise.
There should be plenty of resources left while they're just displaying track map or a single rotating car in Ridge Racer. Or in Home Menu.

QUOTE(RupeeClock @ Jun 4 2011, 09:25 PM)
It depends on what's on these screens. If there's just a single textured cube rotating, then it doesn't require that much power and AA could be used. But it's not.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't understand why you'd want it anyway. Most Nintendo games go for a low-graphic look so adding AA won't make much of a difference...

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering you're now only getting around 4 hours of gaming right now on a 3DS, would you want to have a non-toggleable AA feature that would suck so much battery life that you'd probably be in the 2.5 hour range?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Considering you're now only getting around 4 hours of gaming right now on a 3DS, would you want to have a non-toggleable AA feature that would suck so much battery life that you'd probably be in the 2.5 hour range?

Less than that, AA can really eat up a system's resources. Realtime AA.... I don't even think this is possible yet as it would fall under what the pros in the CG industry call "realtime rendering" (different than what you're thinking of), which consists of AA, lighting, rendering, the whole shebang being done in real time. The closest the movie industry has is progressive rendering (where a single frame starts off as a mosaic and is progressively refined over a certain period of time). So the best you're going to get is what you see currently on the 3DS/Wii/PS3/360.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
When 3D is on, you have your eyes focused at one particular "distance" in the scene, and the parts that are around the model for example will be at a different distance.. this makes up for the anti aliasing since it will be blurry for your eyes, and give a anti-aliased effect
smile.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pachura said:
It depends on what's on these screens. If there's just a single textured cube rotating, then it doesn't require that much power and AA could be used. But it's not.
That's actually what Picross 3D on the DS is, and that seems to have legiitmate AA.

The bottom screen may not be utilising 3D or anything that needs AA, but that still leaves two wide screens.

I do say though 2D mode makes AA sound more feasible.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
pachura said:
That's actually what Picross 3D on the DS is, and that seems to have legiitmate AA.

The bottom screen may not be utilising 3D or anything that needs AA, but that still leaves two wide screens.

I do say though 2D mode makes AA sound more feasible.

No, no game has real AA.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
doyama said:
I don't know what are you basing your calculations on. It sounds like people saying that turning off the 3D will double the battery life.
Besides, I was only talking about AA in menus, character selection screens, SSF4 figurine screen etc. Surely users doesn't spend so much time there to have their batteries be eaten up ? I'm just wondering if AA is technically impossible (e.g. Nintendo ordered a dumbed-down version of Pica200 with no AA support to cut down costs), or will we see it in future games... Yes, I know AA was mentioned in context of RE and Starfox, but after the recent MGS3D news I am staying skeptic until I see it...

m3rox said:
Realtime AA.... I don't even think this is possible
WTF ? There's plenty of edge-smoothing techniques used currently. Even DS had antialiasing in some games (e.g. Flash Focus: Vision Training).

QUOTE(Issac @ Jun 4 2011, 10:54 PM)
When 3D is on, you have your eyes focused at one particular "distance" in the scene, and the parts that are around the model for example will be at a different distance.. this makes up for the anti aliasing since it will be blurry for your eyes, and give a anti-aliased effect
smile.gif
Myself, I don't see any difference as to the "jaggies" with 3D turned on.

D

Deleted User

3D antialiases in its own right. Your binocular disparity creates a light blur. This is the eye's "natural" anti-aliasing
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I forgot password consult admin