OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree with you on the before birth. Thats one part that I've been thinking deeply about lately. I tend to just sit and think quite a lot and ponder the hows and why of the universe and life. I have gone as far into depth as to thinking that this whole realm could just be an imagination and that I'm the only one who exists and everything else is just made up by myself. I have considered the possibility of reincarnation. I have considered that time may never be anything that matters and ever single being was kind of made alive all at the same moment but with different relations to the overall timeline.

Shit, seriously, I could go on for quite a long time.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the whole thing is fascinating myself. Id never force my views on anyone knowingly. Its just that I find the scientific way overwhelmingly more rational and plausible.
You just have to look at more or less every species on the planet and for them its being alive, eating, defending themselves, reproducing etc and thats as deep as it gets. And you know full well that when humans first evolved into what we are today and didnt have much of a grasp on language and intelligence, that we were exactly the same. Eat, drink, sleep, kill, survive, reproduce. It ran no deeper than that. Hell, people probably saw the sun or the moon in the sky and thought "greater being" and everything has stemmed from that and nothing more and thats where we are at today.

I think that people just wont believe that we are here "because we are" because that paints a rather depressing picture of that there isnt any point to being alive. But thats the thing, why does there have to be a point to it. Why do we have to be any more significant that an insect that is born, does next to nothing, then dies 48 hours later? We just believe we have to be more significant because we evolved to become the most intelligent species on the planet, possibly it might be said, even in the universe as it stands. I think that if humans didnt have the intelligence that they did, then religion wouldnt exist. And that alone tells me, thats its all made up

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You hit the nail on the head. I've explained exactly this to my wife before, but she comes from a baptist background and her father is a pastor. I can understand how people believe in heaven and hell by just what they saw in the sky with a big burning ball that hurts your eyes when you look at it and then the moon, clouds, and stars that make up the 'heavens'.

What I find really funny is when I watch some 'educational' shows that involve them searching for some proof of something religious, it is always full of bullshit that could easily be made up, has been proven wrong, or just falling completely inline with the doctrines that the church/bible teaches to make you think that their proof matches directly to what the bible says even though carbon dating proved otherwise and something else like that.

What I find rather appalling is that when major tragedies happen, many of the religious people will say that it was work of the devil or it was god's will. If you make a prayer and it happens then god did that for you, but if it doesn't happen then it was for a better reason. If a child becomes sick and dies then god had a greater purpose. Really? WTF? So no matter what happens it was always for the better? Thats a bullshit idea. Thats just a way for people to relax themselves over mistakes that they made or things they can't control. It's horrible reasoning.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly right. You cant blame people thousands of years ago and looking into the sky and thinking all that, purely because they had no way or enough intelligence to realise any different. Exactly the same as when we thought the earth was flat etc. The confusing thing is that religion was somehow born out of this all them years ago and despite all the advancements we have made and discoveries we have made, its still rampant.

I do believe though that over time it was disappear. Not to the point where it doesnt exist anymore, but to the point where it becomes a highly insignificant few that believe in it. Its happening in society slowly as we speak. I live in a part of the UK which has a high population of Asian people and im regularly out having drinks, playing football and are friends with them. And quite a large percentage of the "younger" Asian population are questioning the beliefs and religion that is instilled in them from a very early age. This would have been unheard of even 15-20 years ago so times are changing.

I had a religious lady come to my front door a year or so ago and rather than shut the door on her I let her tell me all about it, and i did listen. And then when she was finished I then asked all my questions and gave my opinions (like we are doing now) and she just completely shunned it. Anything I was saying that she didnt understand, she didnt want to contemplate or even try to rationalise. Depressing really. At the end of the day she knocked on my door, not the other way around.

Still, its all very interesting! :)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO!!! I know how that it. There was an episode of that show 30 Days, with Morgan Spurlock, and he had an atheist woman stay with a devote christian family. The woman used to be a christian but then opened her eyes. This woman did everything with that family including going to church and the prayer groups and everything. That family had no problem cramming it down her throat. Then there was a dinner that the family had with a group of atheists, and the husband of the christian family got so rude and would try to shut the atheists up when ever they were discussing their views... in a very polite manner. It's just so sad how much of a one way street it can be for many of those people, but not all are like that, just the majority :D

Really, this world is a fucked up place.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
iquit.jpg

Anyone interested in talking about Human life and evolution in the future or are we going to talk about random pointless bullshit?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Anyone interested in talking about Human life and evolution in the future or are we going to talk about random pointless bullshit?
You are completely free to join in on any of the conversations in this thread. If you have something you want to share or talk about then speak up. Keep in mind, I mentioned god in the first post, so this religious talk does still fit in to the conversation.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, well good luck with that. It's kind of difficult to talk about immortality without bringing religion into it because the only time immortality has been thought to exist was through religion.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
This topic is boring.
Ok since you're in 30s.

Let's jump into my time machine and plunge forward 5000 years.
How do you imagine human life then? Average lifespan, accumulated knowledge, possibly a new species of humans fused with machines and of course religion?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting. It is so difficult to even try to predict the future. We are already advancing at an unbelievable rate. The next big discovery or advancement needs to happen next before we can even imagine what the future might be like. There are so many technical possibilities that could happen in that time as far as discovering new dimensions and space travel, but those are all things that we can conceive right now, what about the things that haven't even been dreamed up yet?

It's a lot like how people thought about the future during the 18th century. No one had an idea about computers, phones, and TV's. So their imaginations never included things like that.

All I can say is I'd rather live in the future instead of living in the 'now'.

I bet as science becomes more advanced, people will let go of religion. Lifespan could certainly increase, or decrease with how we treat the planet. It may get to a point that machines are ancient technologies because of genetic engineering.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
So, yes i'm happy being alive but it sucks that i was born in this age. I should have have been born in year one where ignorance was bliss or 5000 years from now. Not during this transition period.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1