Hacking Why in 2010 we still have Pal & Ntsc?

electrico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why companies who produce games and movies still have this old system in their products and they don't have one so the consumers around the world can enjoy the product.?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True. And i'm no electrician here. But if all it takes is a software mod to say 'force' and it works on a different TV. There's no reason that the consoles and media players can't just allow you to select the output. Broadcast television, sure it needs to be localized still. But it's not like the players need different hardware based on regions. Just a different if-then switch.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
we have pal/ntsc because the stupid companies haven't yet realized they've failed.

region-blocked games are easily patched for the wii, yes, but it's a bit harder for xbox360 (I've heard). Sony (of all) don't have region-locks on their games.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They are failing because they want to fail.

Prove me wrong, but then explain why in the 3rd millennium:
- we still have interlaced video modes(video production AND broadcast), while all current tv sets work digitally
- we still have ANYTHING with 25/50 Hz, while the tv sets work at multiples of 30 Hz, yes PAL LCD tvs work at 60 Hz too, but PAL HTDV is 25/50 Hz...(24 Hz is something else, but can be displayed properly with 120 Hz displays, but to be compatible to 24,25 and 30 Hz, you would need 600 Hz)

The only reason that comes to my mind is that "they" don't want to produce something good, if they did, they wouldn't have room for improvement ==> you won't buy something new

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You want to try convincing THE WHOLE WORLD to use a single standard, when they've all been using different ones for years and have billions of dollars worth of infrastructure in place?

Leathl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why do we still speak in different languages?
rolleyes.gif

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
most of the TV's here are still analog tv and tv station here still broadcast analog signal.

if your in middle class you got a 50% chance of buying a decent 32" LCD.

so i'm stuck on 60hz NTSC.

i just wish NTSC WII's can use VGA, so i can just use my pc monitor just like my ps2/ps3/xbox360 and i don't have to worry about video modes

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
at the end of the day all this ntsc pal, region BS is all about making money, look at lost dvd box set for example, you could buy the region 1 box set, when it came to england they released it in 2 parts 1 part being the same price as the region 1 ntsc box set

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Region locking is more a matter of copyright and market control than technical issues. By locking a game to a specific region, game developers are safe to release the game on different dates in different areas without the risk of someone importing them from another region and cutting into the regional market sales.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
Leathl said:
rolleyes.gif
+1 on that. That's a very good comparison.

That's not a good comparison at all. The technology is there. As evident with just switching 'Force NTSC/PAL' under your loader. The hardware, at least on the Wii, doesn't give a shit either way. The same hardware can output in PAL OR NTSC with only a software switch.

The analogy is like saying a bunch of linguists are in the same room and each will only speak his native language even though they all have 9 in common.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leathl said:
rolleyes.gif

Genesis 11:

The Tower of Babel

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

wiiman123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
To control game/movies/televisions/electronics/etc etc etc, sales by region. Limit the sale of PAL products to European retailers. Limit NTSC sales to North American retailers.

No (or extremely few, if any) American/Canadian/Mexican stores selling PAL games/movies/electronics to Europeans. Vice versa

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tueidj said:
You want to try convincing THE WHOLE WORLD to use a single standard, when they've all been using different ones for years and have billions of dollars worth of infrastructure in place?

The problem is that HDTV was the chance to move to one superior standard and make tv and video stuff overall better. We could have moved on from interlaced crap to progressive video mode. We could have increased the resolution to a really high one(1920x1080). We could have moved to a high framerate, 30/60 frames per seconds. But what did we get? 1080i50 and 720p60(or 30) for most stuff. We were at the point to create a new infrastructure or how you call it, but it was aimed to fail.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
The Tower of Babel

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech.
Even if the story of Babel were real, there must have been something like 3,264 people on the earth at the time. Should it be a surprise that they all spoke the same language?

ON TOPIC:
Screw PAL and NTSC, I think the US needs to switch to the metric system.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
The problem is that HDTV was the chance to move to one superior standard and make tv and video stuff overall better. We could have moved on from interlaced crap to progressive video mode. We could have increased the resolution to a really high one(1920x1080). We could have moved to a high framerate, 30/60 frames per seconds. But what did we get? 1080i50 and 720p60(or 30) for most stuff. We were at the point to create a new infrastructure or how you call it, but it was aimed to fail.
I can't say I've ever seen a blu-ray that isn't 1080p@24, so I think we are making progress.

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
quepaso said:
Genesis 11:

The Tower of Babel

1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, [a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Keep your religious bullshit out of here. There are so many things out there that prove the bible as fictional. The tower of babel is the biggest example of the falseness and story telling that the bible has in it.

ding ding ding! That's a correct answer! Johnny, tell us what DeadlyFoez has won!.......

Seriously though, keep that bible bullshit out of here.

Back to the original topic, My NTSC trained eyes can't handle the PAL signal. I visited the UK about 20 years ago and stepped into an electronics store, I almost had one of those video induced seizures from all the CRT TVs pushing out that signal. It was like a freakin strobe light! I`m sure with the advent of LCD and Plasma TVs the picture is bearable. And don`t think I`m an NTSC slob, as we all know that NTSC stands for Never The Same Colour (twice)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?