Why hasn't the 360 been hacked?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by bubbleboy, Jun 5, 2009.

Jun 5, 2009
  1. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just wondering, it's great to be able to play backups.. but homebrew is still missing. The Wii's security system seems full of holes, were they so thorough with the 360 that it's impossible? Or do people just not care enough?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    mostly they dont seem to care imo, they got their pirated games to run and thats pretty much it

3. Chaos Punk

Member Chaos Punk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well the 360 has a MUCH more complicated security system than the wii, there are hax, but you need to either get a flash kit or chip, but right now, no real softmod method.

4. bubbleboy
    OP

United States
    What is a flash kit?

Also, even a chip only allows backups to be run (I think, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!), so they are pretty useless seeing all current 360 drives can be modded without hardware.

An activate.iso file/disc for running unsigned code would be the_shiat! But that's just dreaming.. [​IMG]

5. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    The problem is the CPU. It uses a really complicated security system which you can't just go around.
    Also, unsigned code would be a 100% XBL ban, and nobody wants that.

6. bubbleboy
    OP

United States
    I would happily allow my non-banned brand new Xbox360 to get banned if it meant getting an XBOX media center in Hi-Def!!

I've never connected to Live, not even Silver. What's the point? Spend $5 to buy a different color costume for Street Fighter 4? [​IMG]

Too bad the CPU is so well protected. How they brought out 4 different DVD drives and never fixed them so they couldn't be soft modded is really strange though. They stand to lose a lot more by people pirating $60 games than they do from some guy playing some homebrew stuff..

7. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    Maybe some people want to play game online ?

Btw, if anyone want to know about the security system :

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Correct. I personally don't care about homebrew because I have other systems for that like my Cube and Dreamcast. As long as I get meh free games, I'm happy! Now, off to play some Prototype! [​IMG]

9. Requios

Newcomer Requios Advanced Member

United States
    It's actually quite a shame. I had heard that there was a working NES emulator for 360. Seeing as it's a powerful system, it has a lot of potential to run other emulators, too. Especially the problem ones like SNES, with some of the enhancement chips, and even N64 might be a possibility if someone managed to break into whatever security there is.

10. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you think the 360 isn't hackable, then the PS3 must be Fort Knox. We haven't even seen a chip for the PS3 yet. (not to mention that Blu-Ray drives are kind of spendy at the moment)

11. Chalky94

Newcomer Chalky94 Member

United Kingdom
    Actually the emulator you saw of the snes was running on a xbox 360 dev kit, which allows unsigned code to be run.

12. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Check this vid out.

13. googjew

Newcomer googjew Member

United States
    Well, the 360 has been hacked. We have the King Kong exploit, remember? The hack in the King Kong game that gave us all hypervisor access. Sure, it's disabled under any modern firmware, but, it still exists. And the InFeCtuS let's you flash firmware to the exploitable version. Ofc, this means no more XBL, but still, homebrew and its community should be thriving. Why isn't it? All we have is freaking linux...

14. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Nah... Why hasn't the PS3 been hacked ? [​IMG]

15. googjew

Newcomer googjew Member

United States
    Does someone with over 1,400 posts on temp really need to ask that question? Or am I about to look retarded when everyone but me realizes you were being sarcastic?

16. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    It's the latter my friend.

I'd also like to see homebrew on the 360 though. It'd be awesome. But like Neko said, its not worth getting banned for. I'd rather play my games online and get updates and stuff then get banned for homebrew. Unless somehow there is a defense for that.

17. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Just wont happen, it isn't probably worth the effort figuring it out, and plus there are many people that don't want to be banned from XBL. Backups...and that's as far as we go for the 360

18. Chaos Punk

Member Chaos Punk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Theres really no other need for hacking the 360 except for playing backups. Running homebrew on it is pointless since th wii, ds, and psp already have thriving homebrew communities. Why get banned for homebrew when you could just do it on a wii?

19. googjew

Newcomer googjew Member

United States
    last I checked, the Xbox might just be a little bit more powerful than the wii.... That's why.

20. 67birdman

Member 67birdman GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah you're right, but Microsoft makes good security systems