Hacking Why Gateway includes bricking software in their carts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

So that the people who steal their work get punished.

It was never intended for the bricking code to activate on their own devices.

It was a very smart way to deal with copy-cats, too bad it backfired for a little while but it's not happening anymore to the Gateway 3DS users.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Supposedly, in order to avoid clones.
I don't condone the clones, but neither do I condone the way that Gateway handles it.

Anyway, there haven't been any bricks so far, so at least they fixed the issue with the code or something.

So that the people who steal their work get punished.

It was never intended for the bricking code to activate on their own devices.

It was a very smart way to deal with copy-cats, too bad it backfired for a little while but it's not happening anymore to the Gateway 3DS users.

It was intended to brick devices using clones, one thing is attacking the cart itself, another thing is attacking the user's system that had nothing to do with it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For more $$$. Also, it doesn't punish "the people who steal their work". All it punishes is people who (possibly without knowing) buy a clone cart, which is kind of ridiculous.

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Gateway is a company
2. Companies want to make money
3. If another company took Gateway's work they could earn money/take money away from Gateway by selling their products for a lower price
4. Gateway thinks that if they include bricking code, it will be able to prevent any other company from stealing their work by ensuring that the console (or maybe the cart) will stop functioning.
5. Gateway thinks they'd be able to create a bad reputation for clone companies whose carts a) don't work as they should b) cause the loss of the customer's expensive equiptment.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
It's probably not only the clones they're afraid of, because they're the ones providing the updates first and people will most likely go with them even if the market is flooded with clones. I believe they spend so much effort to hide their code to keep the small-time hackers away, their launcher contains a lot of valuable information like how to patch the firmware and do safe resets to home menu and restore broken services. If some small time hacker uses that information a free piracy solution could be created, making gateway obsolete. I'm actually very surprised this has not happened yet, it's most likely the thing gateway team fears the most, not "r4i deluxe extreme 3dsi mega edition lite".

D

Deleted User

I think you mean "To punish the innocent clients of people who steal GW's stolen work"

Innocent clients? You know very well what these 'innocent' people are going to do with those clone cards, they are going to pirate games.

No, I do not think that people who pirate games are innocent.

D

Deleted User

If clones didn't copy Gateway's code then clones wouldn't get bricked. The punishing part is not Gateway's fault if cloners just created their own code. And now atleast people KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that cloners just copy Gateway's code verbatim without even knowing what it does.

See MT card for example, where people still doubt this.

And if there were no clones, then where would not be bricking code. Think about that.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Innocent clients? You know very well what these 'innocent' people are going to do with those clone cards, they are going to pirate games.

No, I do not think that people who pirate games are innocent.

You're either extremely dense and don't know what NicEXE meant with his post, or you're just looking at any excuse to push your moral values on a forum that was founded on piracy. Either way, I think you should sit this one out, buddy. It'd do everyone else a favor. :)

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're either extremely dense and don't know what NicEXE meant with his post, or you're just looking at any excuse to push your moral values on a forum that was founded on piracy. Either way, I think you should sit this one out, buddy. It'd do everyone else a favor. :)
Little does he know this Site is actually pretty pro-piracy. Gbatemp started out as a rom-distributing Site didn't it?

Pah-lease said the black version of me. Anyone else who buys gateway downloads roms. I know I do! Like I said. There are two kinds of people. Those who download roms, and those who lie about it.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
If clones didn't copy Gateway's code then clones wouldn't get bricked. The punishing part is not Gateway's fault if cloners just created their own code. And now atleast people KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that cloners just copy Gateway's code verbatim without even knowing what it does.

See MT card for example, where people still doubt this.

And if there were no clones, then where would not be bricking code. Think about that.

Sorry but i'm just not paying THAT much for a frigging flashcard that will undoubtedly be rendered useless later no much how they innovate.

D

Deleted User

Yeap, I'm sure homebrew will have caught up in about 7 years from now to what Gateway has released. Enjoy your wait

D

Deleted User

Get real, you're the one who is not understanding my post.

I'm not pushing any moral values on anybody, I just stated that I don't think that people who pirate games are innocent. It's not my fault that you feel offended by this.

Anyway, I've bricked a couple of systems on my own by purchasing products, but I also do not feel sorry for myself nor do I think I'm an innocent client.

At the end of the day Gateway played it very smart, but it backed fired a little, I would probably have done the same thing as them if I were in the same position. I support them for doing it, not because it punishes people who aren't innocent to begin with but because it makes sense for a business point of view.

Maybe you could do everyone else a favor and not reply to my post, that way this thread won't derail. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
its quite simple in the world some people will not pay for anything they can......even if they wait and wait for it.....eventually they get it 100% free and feel smug at all the people who got it ages ago, these are referred to as extreme cheap asses, although they would prefer to pretend its because they have morals or something, because errrm well im sure someone else can make a vaguely viable excuse....but it all boils down to being cheap

lets just stick to I wont support a company who makes flash card, i also wont support a company who develops games, i wont make a donation to someone who releases hacks because i don't support hacking..........just give me free games and stfu im counting my money

personally i don't give a crap, if people want to cry about gateway.....go for it, if someone wants to save even more money than getting a flashcard....just wait you will get your fix at some point....and if someone bought a clone and are upset at gateway.....go complain at your cloner for not doing their job properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs