Why Gaming is Dead: The REAL Reason

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by jonthedit, Jul 15, 2014.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Rather than make a well written article like Ryukouki, I decided to express my opinion in a few sentences.

Gaming is Dead because of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lets play
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gmod
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pewdiepie

Lets play!
    Dear tempgodz, these abominations are the true reason gaming is dead.
    Yes, you heard me right! "Let's Play" this, "Let's Play" that; You can't search for a classic Garry's Mod animation without being bombarded by some ****** that posts videos of himself playing a game while talking stupidly. "OMG I DIED HAHRAHRHARHAR SO FUNNY!!!!!"
    TheTruth by SpeedoSausage (Explicit)
    Why do these people continue to stockpile cash and ruin video streaming websites? The answer:
    YOU
    Yes, that's right! Gaming is Dead because everyone is too fucking attention deprived to actually play a game themselves. What's my proof? Let's Plays and their popularity. Comments on these videos are just sad. "OH MAN SO FUNNY CALL OF DUTY IS THE BEST!!!" Yet the person never played the game. They are watching it.

Videos like walkthroughs and reviews are good for the gaming community. They help a person see gameplay and decide whether or not a game is worth buying. Let's Plays, on the other hand, are completely worthless.

I am not a journalist, (clearly, this 'article' sucks!)
    but I hope you can see the truth behind why gaming is really dead.

Save the games. Not the players.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A classic GMod animation? Sorry, but 99% of GMod crap is awful.

gamefan5 likes this.
  3. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Before Let's Plays dominated searching just "Gmod", the top animations would show up. Those were the ones that are typically actually worth watching. Searching for "Gmod Animation" shows complete shit. I do agree the majority of Gmods are awful, and because of Let's Plays, it has become harder to find quality animations.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    GMod was always awful. ;)

BortzANATOR likes this.
  5. elias_villa

elias_villa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Sports are also dead with all of them being watched instead of the masses actually playing them. Those bastards!!

yule80, Ammako and Taleweaver like this.
  6. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    A fair opinion, equal to my argument above :wink:

I see your intended sarcasm, but honestly I can not stand to watch a sport. It is such a pain in the ass to watch something without being an influence. Why sit on one's arse' instead of getting up and playing soccer/football/basketball/baseball/<insert sport> with people who are actually real?

P.S. Welcome to the temp even if you registered just to post that :P

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    0/10, worse reasons than Ryu.

Ammako and BortzANATOR like this.
  8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    But you agree that sports isn't exactly dead since millions do not practice it but rather watch it, right?

This is the same thing. It's an interesting hypothesis, I'll give you that. And there's certainly something to be said about it (final fantasy and games by David Cage that handle more like video than actual games, the share button on the PS4 and the popularity of these videos), but I think your arguments are rather meager. The popularity of let's plays prove the acceptance of games within our culture; it doesn't, however, prove that people are watching it INSTEAD OF PLAYING IT. Thanks to tablets and streaming on television, it's perfectly possible to watch let's plays on moments you're incapable of gaming (like when you're eating or traveling). It's also worth noticing that watching television is on an all-time low, so my guess would be that let's plays eat more of the entertainment time otherwise spent watching television than time actually spent on gaming.

9. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    he's right...because the only way to get paid to have other people watch you play video games is to talk over it and have some sort of narration. If there is no narration...it doesn't fall under the fair use act and thus they can't make any money from it

"Let's Plays" are pretty much. let me sit around and do my favorite hobby which is playing video games and getting money for it.

jonthedit likes this.
  10. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Maybe YOU thought it was well written, it was actually a piece of shit

11. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    I hate let's plays... every time I try to find gameplay footage of a game I have to wade through let's plays and when I do pick a video, turns out the guy talks while playing

and I'm like "who allowed you to speak?!"

12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Except that game sales often rise after being featured on a popular Let's Play series. This indicates that people like to play games and watch others play.

It's not even like it's all bad. I mean, give PewDiePie his due. He's a cancer, a loud, festering tumor of a man child, but games like Amnesia The Dark Descent wouldn't have sold nearly as many copies as it did without the publicity and attention he brought it. Just because you don't like LPs (and I don't either, for the most part) doesn't mean that they can't still have benefits.

Anyway, it's not as if MST3K killed the film industry, so you should make like a stew and simmer down.

Ammako and jonthedit like this.
  13. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I never ever watched a lets play video. What's up with this gaming is dead bullshit? Gaming was never as much alive as it is now.

14. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Let's play are the cancer of modern gaming, don't serve as speedrun nor as a walkthrough and on top of that there is a fucker talking(and if you're unfortunate enough, his face is on screen) interrupting the game.

jonthedit likes this.
  15. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    Gaming died a long time ago, when the high and mighty game lords decided that gameplay was inferior to graphics.

Back in days long lost when you could spend years trying to finish a game bought for a nickle, now you pay 60 euros for a game that isn't finished and you have to pay extra for every part that comes next.

I say nay to this all and and game silently away in my retro cave of solitude.

yule80 likes this.
  16. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    >two articles written about a "dead" medium
    >written on a growing gaming website

McHaggis, EZ-Megaman, Minox and 4 others like this.
  17. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    How can you possibly say that this beautiful work of art is awful

Ammako likes this.
  18. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The

You are just blind to the threat of lets plays !
    DON'T YOU SEE THE LOGIC ? ITS SO OBVIOUS

19. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    I seriously can't understand why people like so much this kind of videos at youtube, i mean, the fun of gaming is you PLAY the game, solve puzzles and run around killing everyone like rambo (or dieing after 10 seconds) so why watch others play?

jonthedit likes this.
  20. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Have you ever watched a game of football ?

Ammako likes this.