Homebrew Why DSi can't run GBA roms natively but 3DS can?

Arthur78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
I'm a little puzzled about this... correct me if I'm wrong:

DS and DSLite had GBA hardware built-in to run GBA games.

DSi removed the GBA cart slot but I can't find info on whether the GBA hardware from the DS was removed also. I thought not and was looking for ways to run GBA roms natively on DSi (not emulation) but found none, so I'm assuming it can't be done for whatever reason.

But what's puzzling me more is why does the 3DS have a GBA mode (AGB_FIRM)? I read somewhere that GBA games in AGB_FIRM mode on 3DS run with 100% accuracy as if they're on GBA hardware (I guess minus the dark tint and blur, which can be removed on CFW).

So why would Nintendo go through the trouble of making the 3DS run GBA games but not the DSi, when the latter is much closer to the DS (and by extension GBA) than the 3DS?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if there's a technical reason, but regardless, they probably thought it was too soon to release GBA VC, since getting rid of they wanted to move away from it by removing the GBA slot.

If there is a technical reason, the 3DS has an additional CPU which would certainly help overcome any sort of ROM redirection limitations of the ARM9.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users