Hacking Why downgrade 3ds?

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i had a 9.2 3ds, i could downgrade to 4.5 or something using the gateway ultra feature (right?). Why would i do this? The only thing i could think of is booting gateway mode without internet.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's about the only thing I can think of as well. A reason not to is your existing retail cart saves will not work.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not a completely bad reason though.

I know I wouldn't want to give up launching without internet, Nintendo systems seem to have really underpowered wifi, and while my other stuff works fine where I usually am for interneting, my DS and 3DS get really spotty results there.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, back up the saves and play them in emu-nand, or can you play normal 3ds cartridges in emu-nand?
Have a look at the emunand/save data mega guide at the top of this sub. You can play the carts in classic mode in 9.x and 4.x, existing saves not so well in 4.x.

Give backing up the saves and playing them in emunand a try. Fun times.

llvictorll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
and what about .nds roms with the blue card? can i use .nds roms without downgrade? i'm currently on sysnand 8.1.0 and emunand 9.5

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's about the only thing I can think of as well. A reason not to is your existing retail cart saves will not work.
What if you upgrade from 4.5 to 9.2, will it break saves? Is there any reason to upgrade if internet isn't an issue?

Since going into ds mode overwrites the ds profile gateway exploit, you can actually use nds roms easier on firmwares that require the browser exploit.
I guess this is a pro for upgrading

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if you upgrade from 4.5 to 9.2, will it break saves? Is there any reason to upgrade if internet isn't an issue?
It will only break games that use the newer save encryption, but those games arent playable on 4.5 any way so its a moot point.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Folks the save encryption issue is much more complex than blanket statements such as upgrading or downgrading will or will not break saves. Roms vs carts. What encryption they use and if the saves were or were not created on emunand all are important.

Read the emunand /save data mega guide at the top of this sub. Or don't and wing it.

Reactions: yuyuyup

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a whitelist CIA you can install that makes it work.

Cearp's cia is a permanent solution that messes around with the sensitive bits of the 3DS. I personally wouldn't touch that without an ability to backup/restore nand by hardware.
Besides, I think the link was removed anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: @K3Nv2