Why don't bakcups plat in Wiis?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zeek03, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008

Why don't bakcups plat in Wiis? by Zeek03 at 4:06 AM (1,390 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Zeek03
    OP

Member Zeek03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    EDIT: Woops! Typo! Sorry. EDIT: Dang! I can't spell today! Why dont backups play in Wiis. Edit: Can a mod fix that?

I was just wondering, What is the difference between a burnt DVD ISO and a regular Discs. How come backups don't play on an unmodded Wii? What's the protection? Seriously! The DVD has the SAME data on it as a regular Wii disc. What keeps it from reading?

Suggestions:

Sugestion: The Wii discs are differently made. My response: Since when can lasers detect different plastics?

Suggestion: The discs spin a different direction My response: BS! That doesn't make a difference!

Suggestion: It has special keys on the disc My resonse: Isn't dumping the disc the SAME data as an original?

So what keeps our Wiis from reading backups?

2. hartleyshc

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    go look underneath an original disc towards the center and you will see the difference.

3. BryceOne

BryceOne Newbie

When you put a blank DVD into your computer, how does the computer know it's a blank? or that it's a DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R. DVD-RW, etc? It just knows.. and so does the WII.

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Original discs are pressed, which is how Datel was able to publish the freeloader.

Backups arent pressed, causing it to fail withot a modchip / backup loader.

5. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Although from a superficial, high level viewpoint the data is identical - if you look at it from more of a low level, bit by bit level, it won't be. This is because there are physical variations in the disc creation which cannot be controlled, but can be measured. A simple example is if you measure the angular distance between the first and last sector of the disc - this will be constant for each batch of pressed discs, but different for each copy. If you can measure this, and so can your wii, you can impliment copy protection to verify your originals.

The trick with mod chips and loader style hacks is it doesn't try to duplicate these physical differenes, but instead just overrides the check so that it always sees it s original.

There's a video from 23c3 that I saw a while ago (from the guys who became team twiizers, and made most of the hacks we love possible). EDIT - found it on youtube -> http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx2MAOspS4

Have a look, learn a bit. I don't believe it has anything to do with booktype or barcodes as suggested above.

Of course there are other tricks too - the wii uses a non-standard disc format as well, but burnt copies of wii games replicate this. This explains why only certain drives can dump real wii discs though.

Of course, wii drives are more or less normal dvd-roms, and they are designed to work with written media so that developers can feed their wiis in-progress games.

6. Stokesy

Newcomer Stokesy Member

Australia
    Retail DVDs are 'pressed' rather than 'burnt'.
    Data can be 'pressed' to areas of the disc which can not be 'burnt', which is why the pressed Datel loader works in the wii just fine without a modchip.

e:fb

7. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    The Wii Disc has a special leprechaun in it that Nintendo must put in... Since your home DVD burner can't do that, it won't work... see, the wee fellow presses a code on the inside of your Wii's DVD drive that you can't reach while the disc is spinning... and that's how the Wii know's... ever wonder why it takes so long to read the disc in the Disc Channel? that's because he's putting the passcode in!

8. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    best answer I've heard so far. lol

9. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Very true. and when you install a modchip, that has a little leprechaun on it too, but this leprechaun is a renegade and will press the right passcode for all disks that are put in.

10. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    oh dear god, what did I start? lol

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Retail Wii games use a non-standard format based on DVD.

They are not certified, licensed, or approved by the DVD Forum. Nintendo also does not officially refer to them using the name "DVD".

Their slight differences make Wii games not normally readable by most non-Wii devices. And so writable DVDs cannot be burned in a way that'll run on Wii, without at least a softmod.

12. Zeek03
    OP

Member Zeek03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pressed? What's that?

13. azeazezar

Newcomer azeazezar Member

Belgium
    Try google/wikipedia