Hacking Why does Luna 8.1.1 fail to boot?

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is the third time this has happened within a month.

Turn on n3ds xl.
Splash screen display normally.
Black screen eternally (blue led).
Can boot into luma config and other payloads.

Fixing is done by replacing boot.firm each time.

Why is this happening?

B9s 1.2; luma 8.1.1; sysnand 11.6; error free sandisk 128gb msd (authentic card)

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Turn on n3ds xl.

Why is this happening?

B9s 1.2; luma 8.1.1; sysnand 11.6; error free sandisk 128gb msd (authentic card)
I'd say 11.6 is the problem regardless of what anybody says.

Reactions: wicksand420

SoulEater98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Turn on n3ds xl.

Why is this happening?

I don't know what could be causing the issue, maybe update B9S? I have B9S 1.3, luma 8.1.1, sysnand 11.6 and a Sandisk Ultra 32gb microsdhc uhs-i card and I have never experienced any issues, even when I had B9S 1.2.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Denying empirical evidence doesn't add to your credibility; if anything it makes your reply seem ignorant, not to mention utterly useless as far as troubleshooting goes. Correlation does not equal causation. I can deny the existence of buffalo all day, but them walking around sort of proves me wrong Lol.

Since I doubt you'll get my metaphor, I mean that these system updates have been reverse engineered by more than capable people. Had there been any "breaking" issues it would be widely known. All firmware changes are documented on 3DBrew so you can have a look yourself and see that 11.6 didn't change a thing that would even cause this. The last firmware update that broke ANYTHING of note was 11.4, and it didn't cause this either.

It boggles my mind that people seem to automatically jump to an assumed conclusion based on absolutely nothing. Contrary to popular belief (and I'm getting tired of saying it over and over) electronics are bound to fail eventually. Five years is normally the max. If your system starts acting funny out of nowhere or suddenly stops working or something, chances are it's normal hardware failure. Unless you are using a NEW Nintendo 2DS, the chances of your console being manufactured in the last 2 years is slim to none. So, if anything that should be your first assumption.

As for the issue at hand, I can't offer a solution because not enough information is given. People also seem to forget that things they have done to their console (that caused an issue back then or "went away, even if it didn't cause an issue earlier it may have not been recognized properly) 100% have an effect on the way it runs now. How many times do people edit the homemenu, forget and then try to update while getting an error, blaming the console, Luma and everything under the sun except themselves; when it was entirely user error.

This happens constantly when people see, "Oh CFW, let me just install that! Hmm, something is wrong, let me mess with this and this and this and that. Damn, now I forgot what I did. Oh well, it's fixed now let me continue"
hqdefault.jpg

"OMG, I think I bricked my 3DS! Help! How did it get like this? I don't know, it just suddenly stopped working but it was fine before, it must be this new firmware! No? Then it must be this new game I installed! No, I didn't mess with my system at all! I got an issue before but I fixed it and don't remember how and now this is happening. Help!!"

EDIT: Sorry OP even though my reply is a bit of a rant there is still some good advice in there. I was a bit "triggered" by the pompous assumption. It's getting tiring with all these people offering bullshit for advice.

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks ;)

I put a copy of boot.firm in payloads as y_boot.firm. If/when it happens again I’ll hopefully be ready for it, either to godmode 9 copy it or boot from there.

While this would only allow me to use my 3ds on the go again it still doesn’t help figure out why the original boot.firm is corrupting/failing.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks ;)

I put a copy of boot.firm in payloads as y_boot.firm. If/when it happens again I’ll hopefully be ready for it, either to godmode 9 copy it or boot from there.

While this would only allow me to use my 3ds on the go again it still doesn’t help figure out why the original boot.firm is corrupting/failing.
Yeah that's odd especially if you've tested your SD card already. Have you tried restoring a NAND backup? My guess is that it has something to do with the way the splash screens are handled. It's like it's occasionally refusing to read the homemenu correctly after displaying it. Not that I expect you to test it for a month by turning off the splash but it might be a fix until you figure out the cause.

Reactions: Classicgamer

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn’t try a nand backup. I figured since the only thing done to remedy the black screen was a fresh copy of boot.firm it was related that.

That’s an idea about the splash. Are there any known instances of issues? I don’t mind disabling the splash for a month. It’s cool to see my zelda splash (both screens) but not the end of the world.

I’ve been using the same setup exactly all through a9lh and now b9s (I took the plunge day one). I started using themely a few months ago - a nice breath of the wild theme with piano background music. I don’t know the ins and outs of themes and homemenu operation with Luma. Before b9s I was using a midna theme with no issues (not installed with themely).
I also always shut down the system after use. Hopefully these details are helpful. Also I only updated to 11.6 tonight. Each issue occured when on 11.5.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn’t try a nand backup. I figured since the only thing done to remedy the black screen was a fresh copy of boot.firm it was related that.

That’s an idea about the splash. Are there any known instances of issues? I don’t mind disabling the splash for a month. It’s cool to see my zelda splash (both screens) but not the end of the world.

I’ve been using the same setup exactly all through a9lh and now b9s (I took the plunge day one). I started using themely a few months ago - a nice breath of the wild theme with piano background music. I don’t know the ins and outs of themes and homemenu operation with Luma. Before b9s I was using a midna theme with no issues (not installed with themely).
I also always shut down the system after use. Hopefully these details are helpful. Also I only updated to 11.6 tonight. Each issue occured when on 11.5.
All that makes it even more mysterious to me. Hopefully the updates may have fixed it, or something.... I guess you'll just have to wait a bit and see how it reacts.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan

Are you still having problems? Maybe try unticking splashes from the Luma config but I'm not sure why this would cause such a problem, so the console boots but black screens?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
electronics are bound to fail eventually. Five years is normally the max
ha you must be young and I have electronics that are probably older than you are. I have a sony trinitron pc monitor that's 15 years old and still works prefectly as well as a sony projector tv that's about 13 years old. Two sony laptops that are about 15 years old work. my pc is hitting 10 years old. and my NES is 30 YEARS OLD and still works. I have to DS lites that work perfectly. Most of the electronics that go bad today is because they're designed to go bad: planned obsolesce. so now you're the one claiming buffalo don't exist. lol

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ha you must be young and I have electronics that are probably older than you are. I have a sony trinitron pc monitor that's 15 years old and still works prefectly as well as a sony projector tv that's about 13 years old. Two sony laptops that are about 15 years old work. my pc is hitting 10 years old. and my NES is 30 YEARS OLD and still works. I have to DS lites that work perfectly. Most of the electronics that go bad today is because they're designed to go bad: planned obsolesce. so now you're the one claiming buffalo don't exist. lol
One, I'm almost 30 so if your profile is correct then, no I am not younger than you. I never said electronics will fail after 5 years, I said if it stops working after that long specifically it's most likely dying. Just because electronics CAN last longer than that doesn't mean it's guaranteed. There is a reason manufacturer/distributors only provide a warranty for a max of five years; very rarely a lifetime warranty on electronics because they aren't built to last forever. You answered your own question dude, 3DS consoles aren't made to last. Just because your electronics have lasted years (I have a PS3 I bought day one and it still works fine) doesn't mean they all will. FFS.

BooDaRippa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Majickhat55 that most of these issues lately are caused by user error. There are grips of people on discord pissing and moaning that the guide doesn't work. EVERY single one of them has failed to follow the guide. They get impatient and try to skip ahead. Some are even skipping the nand backup, and paying for it dearly.
As for this particular issue, I would suggest OP check Luma's GitHub about exception errors.

Classicgamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you still having problems? Maybe try unticking splashes from the Luma config but I'm not sure why this would cause such a problem, so the console boots but black screens?

No upon turning the system on the splash screen would display momentarily like normal then the system would not boot further.

Should it happen more frequently to diagnose ill try everything listed here. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! For how it has a fresh copy of boot.firm 8.1.1 and a second copy as a payload as well as a fresh copy on ctrnand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.