Why does India use three plugs?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They used to be a British colony and used the old BS546 style plugs that were in use in the UK. That used different sized plugs for different device ratings - the ones described as "Type D" and "Type M" are two of them. Because the US adopted the current BS1363 style plugs after India became independent, they have remained in use in India. I guess the Europlug ended up being used because they had a bunch of devices that used it and it's close to the same voltage.
It makes sense, but forces consumers to use multiple power strips or adapters.

Meanwhile, in the West, the issue with power strips is if it's the "box" type. Thankfully, there's very few nowadays.

SkCUXov.jpg

Credit: AVGN - Sega 32X

The only modern example I can think of is Nintendo Switch's AC Charger.

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It makes sense, but forces consumers to use multiple power strips or adapters.

Meanwhile, in the West, the issue with power strips is if it's the "box" type. Thankfully, there's very few nowadays.

It's actually not as bad as it sounds - the typical Indian power outlet can take both sizes of BS546 plugs and the pin spacing on the Europlug is close enough that can fit too - although its better to use adapters.

I suspect power blocks mostly died out because the vast majority of modern power adapters are switched mode units that can work on a wide range of power supplies so it's a lot easier to make one power brick and then all you need to do is swap the cable.

Nintendo are of course going to Nintendo.

Last edited by trimesh,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It all boils down to stupidity, at the end of the day. And I think Australia has the worst plugs in history, they look big enough to swat dragons from the skies.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We all should honestly switch to the UK plug. It's the safest of them all. However they're super bulky.
Maybe if they refined them to be less bulky they'd be worth a damn. I don't like how unsafe our American plugs are, but I sure do enjoy their tiny footprint compared to other countries.

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Maybe if they refined them to be less bulky they'd be worth a damn. I don't like how unsafe our American plugs are, but I sure do enjoy their tiny footprint compared to other countries.

The worst thing about UK style plugs is that the geometry means that if you drop one on the floor they end up lying on their back with the prongs facing up approximately 100% of the time. I grew up in the UK, then moved to Hong Kong - which being an ex-British colony also uses them them, so I guess I've spent most of my life in abject terror of stepping on the bastard things.

Yeah, US plugs are pretty unsafe, but the use of 120V makes it lot less of an issue than it would be in places that use higher mains voltages - 120V hurts, but you have to really unlucky for it to kill you. The UK standards used 240V for single phase, and 415V for 3 phase - the latter being especially dangerous.

Reactions: Jayro and Marc_LFD

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The worst thing about UK style plugs is that the geometry means that if you drop one on the floor they end up lying on their back with the prongs facing up approximately 100% of the time. I grew up in the UK, then moved to Hong Kong - which being an ex-British colony also uses them them, so I guess I've spent most of my life in abject terror of stepping on the bastard things.

Yeah, US plugs are pretty unsafe, but the use of 120V makes it lot less of an issue than it would be in places that use higher mains voltages - 120V hurts, but you have to really unlucky for it to kill you. The UK standards used 240V for single phase, and 415V for 3 phase - the latter being especially dangerous.
Yeah, our plugs mostly lay flat on the floor, but boy they still hurt like Lego bricks (or worse) when stepped on. We just don't have to worry about being impaled as much as UK plugs.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was a kid, I'd play NES with a huge TV (maybe 32" at the time so yeah it's not big anymore by today's standards), and I remember vividly I'd accidentally electrocute myself by touching what I shouldn't (perhaps a loose plug or socket). Did it at least twice and felt it coming through my body.

Not something I'd want to feel again, but don't wonder what it feels like. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: