why do you pirate?

why do you pirate?

• because i dont want to spend money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all my friends are doing it, peer pressure

• its convenient, i dont have to leave the house etc.

• i dont pirate

• i dont know any better

• because a pirate is free!

• Total voters

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I view the downloading of roms as an extended demo

growing up in the 80's I remember NES games costing upwards of $100, and sometimes, you'd spend your 100 bucks and get a complete shit game

now, I'll download a game, play it for a bit, and if it's worthy, I'll go buy the commercial cart

if not, the game hits the bit bucket, and no one is any wiser

there's 2000+ DS titles, of which maybe 10-15 would be worth buying (imo)

there's no way I would ever again pay full retail to try a game that might suck donkey balls that I couldn't return

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
yea, sounded like an Emo was posting that...
blink.gif

kinda scary...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave if you can't understand my posts, you're on your own. I said I CAN teach, I never said I was GOING to teach.

I use proper English, and it only requires an ability to read English to comprehend my posts.

Don't know how old you are (really) don't care either (genuinely). If you're still in school wake the hell up while in English class eh. If you're out of school, you might want to think about going back.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
TrolleyDave if you can't understand my posts, you're on your own. I said I CAN teach, I never said I was GOING to teach.

The reason I can't understand your posts is because they're utter nonsense, and I don't want you to teach me - I have an IQ of 142, I don't need it lowering.

Panzer Tacticer said:
I use proper English, and it only requires an ability to read English to comprehend my posts.

You might use proper English but you string it together using the grammatical rules of gibberish.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 24 2008, 05:39 PM)
Don't know how old you are (really) don't care either (genuinely). If you're still in school wake the hell up while in English class eh. If you're out of school, you might want to think about going back.

I'm old enough to know that you're talking pure crap. Hell I could fertilize a farm with your other post. I gotta admit though that I do need to go back to school, having been kicked out at 15. Still though my posts are more intelligible than yours.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
xblackoutx said:
im 15 and have no real job. so any money i do get must be spent on the things that cant be pirated such as food or spray paint/other art supplies
You little pansy, spray paint cans are STOLEN, not BOUGHT.
Kids like you fuck our reputation.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hitto said:
xblackoutx said:
im 15 and have no real job. so any money i do get must be spent on the things that cant be pirated such as food or spray paint/other art supplies

I lol'd ... I did ... no, really ...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hitto said:
xblackoutx said:

lmfao! Little bloody hooligan.... good on you!
wink.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I pirate because it save me a ton of cash. I have lots of bills to pay like rent, lights, truck, etc.....don't have much money to blow off, especially now with gas prices being outrageously high. Piracy allows me to still do what I love without having to file for bankruptcy, the prices of these games are going higher and higher. VERY few games are worth the money you pay for them IMO.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hehe, I guess only the "really old guys" (read : over 16) around here will remember what I'm talking about!!

/paris sous les bombes, paris sous les bombes...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
754boy said:
I pirate because it save me a ton of cash. I have lots of bills to pay like rent, lights, truck, etc.....don't have much money to blow off, especially now with gas prices being outrageously high. Piracy allows me to still do what I love without having to file for bankruptcy, the prices of these games are going higher and higher. VERY few games are worth the money you pay for them IMO.

Do you pay for the ones that you really like?

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
There is no heaven or hell, God or the devil.
Morals are what you make them.
Sin is a religious concept, and I'm not religious.
Might doesn't make right, might is just an extension of power.
Then again, the mind is generally the most powerful weapon.
And most of the world being religious, is for the most part weak minded.

Agreed. Although religion isn't necessarily for the weak-minded, despite the vast majority of those who are engulfed in it. It's what you do with your religious convictions that make the difference.
Charity for the needy through the church = good; Scaring people into thinking God needs your money or you burn in hell = bad.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 23 2008, 12:15 AM) You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

I haven't stolen anything. And I really don't care what anyone thinks about that.

Now maybe the police would like to have a chat with my ISP for circulating stolen goods.

You paid for the ability to send and retrieve data through your broadband connection, and for the ability to access newsgroups. However, you never paid for the right to use the data. When you buy a game you buy the right to use the data, whether you have the means to or not. While you haven't stolen anything, you HAVE deprived the original intellectual property holder of their right to collect dues for your use of their product. So, you're still in violation of international copyright laws.

...not that there's anything wrong with that. Unless you get caught.

Anyway, it all boils down to a personal standard. If you can find these actions justifiable in your own mind, then that's the end of it. Since the start of college, and the end of my moneys, I've found I have a high tolerance for these kinds of things.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I choose: its convenient, i dont have to leave the house etc.

and that's one of the best reasons.. Atleast for us europeans who always (VERY VERY OFTEN) get our games later than the rest of the world.
then u have all the nice homebrew, emulators among other things you can run cause u have it haxxored.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Panzer Tacticer said:
You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

I haven't stolen anything. And I really don't care what anyone thinks about that.

Now maybe the police would like to have a chat with my ISP for circulating stolen goods.
If I paid for a gun, wouldn't I be liable if something that lay outside the boundaries of the law had been committed? Would I have the right to say "not my problem, I didn't shoot people, the bullets just perforated their skin, ask the ammo salesman about this" ?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, BTW.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and I forgot one thing - convenience.

All my games on one cart means no having to search for games scattered about my room, or hoping that I brought the right game(s) with me to a friend's house. It also means that I can back up my save files in the event that I happen to misplace a game, or if someone else would like to play the game, I can allow them to borrow my physical copy without losing the ability to play it myself, should I feel the need.

I guess owning the game and having a data backup on an SD card in itself isn't piracy, but some like to define the act of downloading the data in the first place as piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...