why do you pirate?

why do you pirate?

• because i dont want to spend money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all my friends are doing it, peer pressure

• its convenient, i dont have to leave the house etc.

• i dont pirate

• i dont know any better

• because a pirate is free!

• Total voters

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
"Reason I pirate? The price of games. In the USA, it's $50-$60 for console games, and $30-$40 for handheld."

Just worked out it would cost you $60-100 for console games and $60-80 for handheld games if you buy it in UK.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"I'm a month away from my 27th birthday. I have a wife, 3 cat's, and I make about $53,500USD a year before taxes."

Hmmmm that means you're a rich spoiled f**king brat in my view
smile.gif

My income is lucky to breach 20K and I have a wife and son as well as a hamster. You'll find a teenager costs more than 3 cats
smile.gif

Still can't relate to your objection about the price of games though. It's clear you don't mind paying for what you like.
Some of your reply to some of my post though looks like you read it so fast you didn't fully grasp what I said.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
Back to the movie analogie. So if an extra in "Spider-Man" didn't fall down on que when the bad guy blew up a building, do you blame Tobey MaGuire? How about William Defoe? How about the producers, or the directors? No, you blame the extra. Now, when DS Paint Military Vehicles was released, do you blame Nintendo for releasing this abonation? No, you blame the people who made the mistake. Nintendo get's X amount of money from Ertain, who released the game. Ertain paid BigN that money to get that official seal. Nintendo didn't ask them to make that game. Ertain asked Nintendo for the seal so they could make money.

And to be fair, your analogy is pretty much bollocks. If an extra didn't fall down on time, and the producer, director, cutting team etc released that to the public rather than force a re-take until he gets it right then I expect the buying public would rightly be pissed off. I know who I'd blame, and it wouldn't be the extra.

It's a small thing called "quality control" that you don't seem to have gotten the hang of yet. Neither has Nintendo (or most of the other game publishers) to be fair though.

D.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

What on gods green earth are you going on about mate. You might have paid for all the necessary means and services to allow you to download pirated material but you are in no way paying for the games you download. You're simply paying for the services and ability to do it. Now if you took the money you would have paid to your ISP and your newsgroup providers etc and bought an actual original physical cartridge then you would be paying for your games and not be pirating them. Sounds like a guilty concsience and self justification to me.

totake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I pirated it would be for many of these reasons. I wouldn't try to convince myself that what I was doing was right or just or even ethical. I would come to terms with the fact that I like playing games and saving money more than I care about game devs getting what they deserve. If piracy really did kill the gaming industry, then I'd have more free time to do something actually productive with my life. XD Yeah, I'd be a selfish ass and I think I would represent a good chunk of the pirating community.

Shyvnal

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait for nintendo to finish the French/German etc translations of brawl? na ill just pirate it.
For the NDS i dont like having to carry a load of games with me when all i need is one, aswell as homebrew (snes on the move, etc)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

What on gods green earth are you going on about mate. You might have paid for all the necessary means and services to allow you to download pirated material but you are in no way paying for the games you download. You're simply paying for the services and ability to do it. Now if you took the money you would have paid to your ISP and your newsgroup providers etc and bought an actual original physical cartridge then you would be paying for your games and not be pirating them. Sounds like a guilty concsience and self justification to me.

Shit it took you long enough to show up. Try be a little faster next time eh
smile.gif

You do realize I don't just download DS carts, or just games, or just games and movies, or just games and movies and applications, or just games and movies and applications and tv shows eh. Otherwise you're entirely correct, the price to download would be idiotic. I process about 100 gigs a month. It would be more, but I'm not going to download every crappy movie that gets released just because I can. And I often wonder why the crummy games, the ones we all KNOW are crummy, get uploaded in the first place. Who can figure out what's in the mind of an uploader though.

You all would be interested to know though, if I could snap my finger, and render the entire internet dead, inert, I would have done it a few years ago. If I could turn off the worlds electricity, forever, you'd be in darkness right now, if it wasn't mid day. And your ice cream would be melting in the fridge.

I have teaching experience, and I'm a cabinet maker among my many skills. I don't actually need electricity to be useful.
And life sure would be a lot less stressful without all this technology.

But it's here, and I don't mind using it.
I'm probably the least guilty feeling person you've ever met.
There is no heaven or hell, God or the devil.
Morals are what you make them.
Sin is a religious concept, and I'm not religious.
Might doesn't make right, might is just an extension of power.
Then again, the mind is generally the most powerful weapon.
And most of the world being religious, is for the most part weak minded.

I only fear one thing, undesirable repercussions of mob enforced justice. Some call that the law.

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
I pirate because it is free. Though companys are gaining from this as the majority of things I pirate ( Except a few things) I would never buy ( Certain CD's, Games ect) and by telling my friends about them ( Who don't pirate) I am in a way advertising their product.

e.g Me: " The latest [GameNameHere] is quality!
Friend: "Wicked I will check it out"

My two cents.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i Pirate because i have no job or money to buy games, if i didnnt pirate i would have 1 PSP Game (DAXTER) and 4 DS games STILL TODAY...because of this - [REASON]

and plus the fat cats are rich enough without US TOO giving them more money..

SavageWaffle said:
One Ugly Graphiced DS Game= $30.
I aint spending $30 on the worst graphics handheld ever, im not saying the GAMEPLAY sucks, but still.

EXACTLY...some games are just ass *as in a crappy game* and you have to BUY them to see if they are ass which i dont like....

and i get free games and have an advantage over the common person...

EX - i can get a European leak of a game before its even out in STORES... ha ha (in some cases) (THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU (E))

there are some PSP games that got released as an ISO (E) but STILLto this day havent been released yet...but will..eventually.

Free-Running (E)
Fired Up (E)
Tenchu Time of the assissians (E)
Shinobido Tales Of The Ninja (E)

just to name a few European PSP titles that havent even been RELEASED YET IN AMERICA.

QUOTE(Wanted @ Apr 21 2008, 09:31 PM) I wouldn't have a PSP if I couldn't use homebrew on it. Also I use the internets and the games being played and talked about are US/JAP etc and I can't still be keen to play it 6 months later when they decide to release in NZ.

if The PSP couldent be hacked..i woulden't have BOUGHT one in the First place!! i totally agree!

every psp game that looks good.. i pirate...

the only reason i look at PSP games in the stores is to see screenshots and to see.."they Charge THIS much for THIS Game?? i beat it in 2 days!"

OR A DS FOR THAT MATTER
laugh.gif

and to add...was in wal-mart and saw a kid buying ATV-OFFROAD fury DS*(a crappy DS game with GBA Graphics) all i could think of was...poor kid or poor parents spending money on a useless game....

and im a rebel...sue me
biggrin.gif

cause i can..STUFU
cool.gif

there was pirates in The days of the Atari 2600 "Prom Blaster" (blank cartridges starting at $15)

..BUT Atari Took em to court and won...so i guess it was short lived...

AND IM BROKE..after i bought my pandora battery $30 (PRICE OF 1 DS GAME) i only have 16 bucks left..now is that enough to buy a VIDEOGAME worth your time!? not something from the "bargain Bin" to waste the REST of your cash...

and last reason why i Pirate is because of THIS

Kraton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm just a poor student and so I REALLY don't have money for games etc. I get just a 400 euro per month for food and apartment. If I start buying games I will surely be hungry and would live on the streets.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
because i have chinese in my blood, thats why i pirate.

I personally dont see it as racist, only fools with nothing better to do in life will find that racist.

aahaha, but honestly, i pirate because i am used to the "free trial" before u buy...but free trial of a DEMO of the game (or anything else) isnt good, its basically a crippled version so you wont even get to enjoy it. my wii remains unmodded, i own several ds games along with a flashcard.

Besides, not having a job makes paying for a crappy game (that was supposed to be good) very inconvenient.

I wont even say the student excuse, because if i was a dedicated student, i wouldnt even be playing video games...
smile.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
Shit it took you long enough to show up. Try be a little faster next time eh
smile.gif

I don't normally bother reading these threads, I would have been faster if I'd have known you'd posted such nonsense.

Panzer Tacticer said:
You do realize I don't just download DS carts, or just games, or just games and movies, or just games and movies and applications, or just games and movies and applications and tv shows eh.

WTF are you actually trying to say in that statement? I don't really care what you download, I just care when you try to deny being a pirate and justifying by spouting crap like paying for the means to pirate equates to not pirating.

Panzer Tacticer said:
Otherwise you're entirely correct, the price to download would be idiotic.

Again, WTF are you talking about? The price to download would be idiotic? Are you saying that you're on a metered download and pay by the gig? What exactly are you talking about?

Panzer Tacticer said:
I process about 100 gigs a month. It would be more, but I'm not going to download every crappy movie that gets released just because I can. And I often wonder why the crummy games, the ones we all KNOW are crummy, get uploaded in the first place. Who can figure out what's in the mind of an uploader though.

I take it by process you mean download? Or do you actually go through each individual byte that's downloaded and rebuild each file byte by byte? Stop talking nonsense man. If you're wondeing why the uploaders upload crap it's probably because they're part of a release group/team (it doesn't have to be the original releasers, there's spreader groups as well) and it's their job. They don't care about the quality of the game, hell half the spreaders I know don't even own the system their spreading the stuff for. Who can figure out what's in the mind of a sanctimonious poster is more my question.

You all would be interested to know though, if I could snap my finger, and render the entire internet dead, inert, I would have done it a few years ago.
[/quote[

So would I, then I wouldn't have to feel like I'm living in the movie Idiocracy.

Posts merged

Panzer Tacticer said:
I have teaching experience, and I'm a cabinet maker among my many skills. I don't actually need electricity to be useful.
And life sure would be a lot less stressful without all this technology.

WTF?!? What does any of that have to do with you being a pirate?

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 24 2008, 04:32 PM) But it's here, and I don't mind using it.
I'm probably the least guilty feeling person you've ever met.

I doubt it, I suffer from a mild form of Anti-social behaviour personality disorder and I know plenty of sociopaths from a previous, erm, "occupation". I've never had a guilt pang in my life.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 24 2008, 04:32 PM)
There is no heaven or hell, God or the devil.
Morals are what you make them.

What's your address mate, I'd like to send you a gag for the mouth currently residing in your arse.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 24 2008, 04:32 PM)
Sin is a religious concept, and I'm not religious.
Might doesn't make right, might is just an extension of power.
Then again, the mind is generally the most powerful weapon.
And most of the world being religious, is for the most part weak minded.
I only fear one thing, undesirable repercussions of mob enforced justice. Some call that the law.

WTF?!? I'd swear reading this post just gave me cancer of the brain.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
the rules of the release teams is that RELEASE EVERY SINGLE GAME OUT..NO QUESTIONS ASKED..ITS OUR DUTY

half of the time they dont even play these games i bet..

WELL MAYBE some like ninja gaiden and LOZ: PH and Brawl Wii ROM DEFINITELY....

never have i seen such enthuasium in this thread and people speaking up!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello