why do you pirate?

why do you pirate?

• because i dont want to spend money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all my friends are doing it, peer pressure

• its convenient, i dont have to leave the house etc.

• i dont pirate

• i dont know any better

• because a pirate is free!

• Total voters

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
omatic said:
I guess owning the game and having a data backup on an SD card in itself isn't piracy, but some like to define the act of downloading the data in the first place as piracy.

If you have a copy and don't own the original then you have a pirate copy, regardless of how it was acquired.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Convenience, on the DS front, is why I pirate. I love having everything stored on my R4 without having to arse with cartridges. The reason why I pirate on the Wii is actually mostly for the custom ISOs. I now own four extra versions of GHIII (GHI, GHII, GH80's and GH Rock Band) because we're now able to Trucha sign discs and replace files. Otherwise, I don't really pirate Wii games much.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tacticer said:
You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

no, it's all pirating

paying some dude to rob a house for you doesn't absolve you of the crime

Mrbob2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dont know about your laws but here in the UK if you own a copy of a game its a pirate (illegal copy), talk of if you download a game and delete it after 24 hrs its fine is rubbish, having a personal backup for your own use, again, is complete rubbish.

anyways, the only reason i got a DS was the TTDS card. I can download all the latest releases in minutues, most i will probly find rubbish. I guess if i went the legal way and bought ALL my games throught my life, speccy, amiga, psx, ps2, pc then it would have cost me over £80,000

If i was caught and paid a £2000 fine, i would still have done well!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I believe video games are an art and every artist should want their art to be viewed by everyone whether or not they can afford it. The same goes for just about all forms of media.

Also, I figure if you have the intelligence, why not use it?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trolleydave, on the internet we all have a genius IQ (apparently).

I actually have been tested as high as yourself actually. But on the internet, proof is something that rarely exists. I might as well say my johnson is 12 inches long. Hey it's not impossible, just unlikely.

As for gibberish, refer to the above sentiment.

As for the rest of the replies, a partial quote is rarely worth anything if the context is not present.
And context is everything.

I do not justify my actions. Nor do I presume to quote law.
I would have to care about something to have a problem with it. And just because it is formally written as law, doesn't make it immediately worthy.

Not going to go back over any of the ground connected to religion and religious comments. I actually hate conversations where its involved. No one is ever wrong, and that tends to trash conversations.

Some interesting thoughts. Could you pay someone to kill a known killer?
Could you burgle a house of a known criminal?
If you found a case of money and some dead people, (in a deal gone bad), would you have trouble keeping the money?

We all know of a long list of actions, like the examples above, that are technically crimes.
It always comes down to do you always give a damn?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
Trolleydave, on the internet we all have a genius IQ (apparently).
I actually have been tested as high as yourself actually. But on the internet, proof is something that rarely exists. I might as well say my johnson is 12 inches long. Hey it's not impossible, just unlikely.
As for gibberish, refer to the above sentiment.

Are you trying to get into a battle of wits with me?
rolleyes.gif
It looks to me like you understood my post perfectly, so in what way does that equate to it being gibberish? Please if you're going to attempt to insult me at least use an on-line dictionary before bantering about attempted insults.

The post you made where you spouted lines of philosophical self-justification contained utter nonsense. Half of it had absolutely nothing to do with the point you were attempting to make and the other half was just wasted bandwith. You were attempting to weasle you're way out of talking pure crap by talking even more crap. I would imagine that you thought you were being clever and spouting half-assed low logic philosophy would make you sound clever and confuse me, instead it just made you look foolish. It wasn't big and it wasn't clever, so just accept your Idiocracy award and move on.

Panzer Tacticer said:
I do not justify my actions. Nor do I presume to quote law.

It sounds to me like you do have to justify it, otherwise why use flawed mathematics like "I pay for my bandwith so I pay for my games". If you bought a stolen car the cars still stolen.
rolleyes.gif

Panzer Tacticer said:
And just because it is formally written as law, doesn't make it immediately worthy.

It still doesn't stop it being the law does it.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 26 2008, 04:53 PM) Some interesting thoughts. Could you pay someone to kill a known killer?
Could you burgle a house of a known criminal?
If you found a case of money and some dead people, (in a deal gone bad), would you have trouble keeping the money?

There you go again. What exactly does that have to with anything? Those thoughts aren't interesting, they're old and tired and usually used by pseudo-intellectuals when they feel the need to look and sound smarter than the average human. They have nothing to do wth you foolishly saying that you don't believe you pirate games because you pay for the means necessary to allow you to do it. Hardly the logic of an intelligent 40-something, rather it's the logic of somebody with a guilty conciense and a need to justify his actions to himself and others while at the same time attemping to mantain a feeling of superiority of others due to an over-inflated ego, sense of self-worth and pseudo-intellectualism.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Apr 26 2008, 04:53 PM)
We all know of a long list of actions, like the examples above, that are technically crimes.
It always comes down to do you always give a damn?

If they're technically crimes then they're actually crimes. Are you saying that if you don't feel it's a crime it shouldn't count as a crime? I've got some mates who would love to be able to use that defense and have it actually work. Please, you're talking out the wrong hole again.

ndpndnt16

Trophies
XP
Country
HAR!!HAR!!!

Pirate is for public,Pirate is for fun,Pirates make my life Happy
so why pirate?
because for gaming it produces what we call "Fun" which means game,software etc should be free i dont want to buy "FUN".pirate makers is actually good persons showiing there love to us people.

hey!!!hey!! listen to this story

i got a friend and his father is a police.now my friend wanted to buy a new game for his psp,ds etc console.he asked for a money to buy a new game to his father.and know what!!!this is the best part!!!lets get an internet and just download those games!!!What!!!a police should know its illegal so why download?heheh funny right

gbands

Trophies
XP
Country
^Ever wondered why they never arrested the guy who made the i love you virus? It's because we don't have net laws yet, hence downloading copyrighted stuff isn't illegal in our country. It's when you buy it in materialized form that makes it illegal, though it's still limited to dvds, cds, softwares and ps2 games.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Panzer Tacticer said:
Trolleydave

Trying to win an argument on the net is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
You just go on arguing, it's not that important to me.

That's the way it goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/