why do you pirate?

why do you pirate?

• because i dont want to spend money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all my friends are doing it, peer pressure

• its convenient, i dont have to leave the house etc.

• i dont pirate

• i dont know any better

• because a pirate is free!

• Total voters

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have approximately $0 a month to spend on games with my college budget. Even if I didn't have other means to get the games, I wouldn't be buying them for the most part. An exception was that I would have bought Pokemon Diamond regardless, so I purchased it while not technically needing to do so.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like I don't want to spend money or games are not worth the full price, I can't afford to buy 4 PS3+360 games and 4 DS+PSP games a month. But I can afford to buy 2 games and pirate the rest 6.
Insanely tight budget? True, I order 2 double cheese burgers and 2 apple pies at MacDonalds, cost me just above $4. I can't afford a Big Mac meal.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I picked Option #1, but it's for a number of reasons. Sure, I'm cheap (but I only pirate music, handheld games, and the occasional movie), but it's also rather convenient. I remember having to pull around a bag full of Gameboy games though I never really played them, more of just-in-case.

Mainly, it's a combination of convenience and cost. Fewer things to drag around, and it keeps money in my possession. Mind you, I still buy console games, mainly because I'm not really so brave to mod my console because of soldering and chips and whatnot. At least DS and PSP firmware-adding was incredibly easy.

S

scubersteve

i srsly would've voted "i'm chinese".
but, i guess i'm gonna have to say option 1.
then again, "i'm chinese" could cross over into option 2...

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
scubersteve said:
i srsly would've voted "i'm chinese".
but, i guess i'm gonna have to say option 1.
then again, "i'm chinese" could cross over into option 2...

Steve, you might wanna be sitting down when I tell you this ... you're not Chinese ... but you are adopted, and you are gay ...

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I pirate on consoles which i would have not bought in the first place had it not been for getting the games free. I wanted to own a ps2, so i do, and i have from over the last 5 years or so gotten myself a collection of around 40 games. I own a PS3 because i really wanted one, and i own 6 original games for this.

Now, i own a 360, because it can be cracked ive bought one, and i have endless amounts of backups. Im not harming anyone with it, i dont sell them to anyone, i download the games and play them. But because i wouldnt have bought one if i couldnt do this, no one is out of pocket and no one is causing any harm. Want to craxk down on piracy, get the person putting them on the net, ripping them originally etc.

Same with DS. I wouldnt have bought one to pay 30 quid a game. Its too much for what i want. But snap in a flash card, and its all good. So i have a ds lite and an M3.

Basically what im saying is, the console of each generation i choose to support, i pay full whack for including games. And the others which i didnt choose, if i can get them, and get the games on the cheap, then i will do

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
So I don't waste my money on crap games. When I download a good pirate game, I buy it the next day
yaynds.gif

Or whenever it's release in England.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for me, that's because its convenient. (I really don't like going out, but I do for work)

That's just an easy way to test a lot of games, see which games exist, some that even never reach Europe.
Pirating was first for being able a play imported games (on Snes) with adapters and modchip, then with internet it become easier to play games without even importing it.

In second way only for money saving. I wouldn't buy all the games I tested (and it's really testing, sometime I played only 2 minutes and never touch it again).

When I like a game I purchase it, even if I will not play with it again before long. It's more for its values and the prestige of owning an original game than playing with it.
I do the same with Audio CD (I even own some still in blister case, I don't need to open because I already own them on PC).

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never pirated much...until i got married and had my first child. suddenly, gaming wasn't my top monetary priority. now, most everything i have is pirated except what i've traded/bartered. i'll still find the cash for really awesome titles, but the money just isn't there for my gaming habit anymore.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather download and send the actual money directly, as a donation, to the company but when you're in school you don't have any money to spend on games... At least I don't

I could pay for online games, but otherwise i would only be willing to pay for Nintendo's best series.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I try not to pirate games. I will admit that when I discovered VBA back when I was 12 and broke it was the best thing ever (and it ran even on our crappy PC) and I downloaded several games but I only played a few of them.

My bro crashed the PC and I lost all my games so I was sort of turned off from them for a while anyway, I wanted a real GBA and a couple months later I had enough to get it.

After I got a little older and did some research and discovered the laws and crap I got kinda scared and never got back into Roms. The fact that I had a GBA probably had something to do with that...

Anyway, a few years ago I began to practice coding and trying to learn programming and I learned about homebrew which I felt was AMAZING and I now I want to make my own game/program though I haven't done enough studying yet to actually be able to make one...

Its been over 3 hrs since I started this reply and I cant remember where I was going with this.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can call it pirating (as you obviously will). But I pay for my broadband and I pay for my newsgroup indexer and I pay for my downloading software and I pay for my newshosting.

Key word in all that, I paid to be able to get it.

I haven't stolen anything. And I really don't care what anyone thinks about that.

Now maybe the police would like to have a chat with my ISP for circulating stolen goods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife