Gaming Why do you pirate?

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
I buy the games i like and bin the ones i dont , why should i be out of pocket because of false advertising ? if developers were actually honest and did some work then maybe piracy would drop BUT until they actually DO some work then fuck them , the majority of games on any system are rehashed boring badly designed ports or clones of other games that have been good sellers, as a consumer i cannot take an opened played game back for a full refund even if the game was only in my system for 1 minute while it loaded and i decided it was crap i cannot get my money back , whilst business cheat lie and steal money from consumers i will continue to pirate anything i want fuck them they wont give me my money back when their product is shit so i take the matter into my own hands and try before i buy. And if you dont agree with that tough shit it just shows how thick you are , send me your money i have some treasure maps here. jim laaad

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
scousethief said:
I buy the games i like and bin the ones i dont , why should i be out of pocket because of false advertising ? if developers were actually honest and did some work then maybe piracy would drop BUT until they actually DO some work then fuck them , the majority of games on any system are rehashed boring badly designed ports or clones of other games that have been good sellers, as a consumer i cannot take an opened played game back for a full refund even if the game was only in my system for 1 minute while it loaded and i decided it was crap i cannot get my money back , whilst business cheat lie and steal money from consumers i will continue to pirate anything i want fuck them they wont give me my money back when their product is shit so i take the matter into my own hands and try before i buy. And if you dont agree with that tough shit it just shows how thick you are , send me your money i have some treasure maps here. jim laaad

I agree for the most part. I would rather cheat a company than be cheated BY a company. For this reason I rarely see movies in the theater, but once Ive seen them if I like them I usually buy the DVD.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I pirate because I cannot buy every game I want to play. That said, I will primarely use this Backup Loader to play my own backups (I'm dumping Mario Kart Wii as we speak and I have already dumped Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess).

Btw, I own 10 Wii-games, not counting Wii Sports and Wii Play. For each on of them I paid 50 euros. I also bought Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console and while I have tried a few WADs I did not really play them (they're not on my system anymore).

The question is: does Nintendo like a costumer like me or like you more? While I pirate a lot more, I also buy more games. Well?

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specifically on the Wii I now pirate because I have 6 games which I payed full price for and they are complete POS.

There are too many games that are simple ports, bad implementations of some movie or a bunch of "mini games" which are lower quality than flash games available free online.

That said I was very happy to buy a copy of DDR, Wiifit, Rockband and Mario Kart because they are good games!

paul1991

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all seem reasonable. I forget how much games cost in other parts of the world. Charging that much is insane. The markup is HUGE!

I had no idea so many of you guys bought games. I thought you downloaded it and never ended up buying it.

I really just posted this because of an article I read on digg.
Now you guys have converted me. HTe reason I own so few wii games is because I only buy games that I know I will like.(The games I own all only Nintendo or Konami published.) If I could download the game, it would be like renting. Try it out and buy it.

I guess everthing is okay with the proper moderation. If I only downloaded games when I had 50USD, I could try it and know that buying was an option. This would also limit how much I downloaded.

Anybody want to sell me a wii-clip? XD

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
It's because you can get free access to them games. Also, it takes me three weeks to earn up £40 (price of an average IGN rated 9/10 game) so you can get them easily.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Giangsta said:
Not necessarily Cockroachman, to game companies they may see rentals as and eventual purchase of that title especially if its an rpg or long game.

So rentals can still benefit some companies if the player is satisfied enough with his overnight rental and decides to buy the game the next day, or he can continue to rent the game several nights till he completes it then the companies lose.

Every ps2 game i've rented ended in my collection, sometimes i'd even return it the day i rented it...that may be a little suss.

True, that makes sense.. but that doesn't happen much.

In my time I rented Zelda 64 2 weekends to finish it and on the 3rd week my save was deleted
frown.gif

So I borrowed the game from a friend and finished it XD

Of course, we don't have that problem anymore now that we have memory cards and internal memory!

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
I learnt my lesson with battlefield 2 on the pc , paid full price for it then needed patch after patch after patch ok some of the patches were to do with people cheating online , that said, those bugs should have been worked out before they took my money , then the disk got scratched and wouldnt install, a quick email to EA and they wanted 20GBP for the replacement disk hmmmmm 20 gbp to cover postage ??? robbing sods .
I play most of my games on the pc but pc gamers these days are more beta testers than anything. Assasins creed on the 360 looked nice but was boring and repetitive , 95% of wii games have terrible graphics or badly implemented control methods when with a little work by the developers all of this could be turned around, unfortunately developers are greedy and lazy and the last thing they think about are consumers, when a game doesnt sell because its crap piracy gets the blame when a film doesnt do well at the box office pirates get the blame, the plain truth of the matter is that as consumers we are now getting wise to the advertising crap that is thrown in our faces, the internet has given us the perfect oportunity to spend our money more wisely by downloading and trying what companies have to offer.
Think about it sensibly companies expect us to view their wares in the cinema ( just for an easy example) then buy their merchandised over priced products, then rent the dvd then buy the dvd then buy it again on bluray when it comes out how much money do they want from us exactly ?????? and what happens if all of that doesnt happen ?? PIRACY is to blame.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
scousethief said:
I learnt my lesson with battlefield 2 on the pc , paid full price for it then needed patch after patch after patch ok some of the patches were to do with people cheating online , that said, those bugs should have been worked out before they took my money ,

Yeah, that's the worst thing about PC gaming. I recently bought Mass Effect, full price.. and I can't play it for more than 1 hour without it crashing
sleep.gif

QUOTEthen the disk got scratched and wouldnt install, a quick email to EA and they wanted 20GBP for the replacement disk hmmmmm 20 gbp to cover postage ??? robbing sods .

Thank God Steam is there!
bow.gif

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ain't gonna sugarcoat it! Piracy is stealing, I'm a pirate, so sue me
tongue.gif

Why have a law with no punishment? Do you really think I would steal if I knew that the chances of me getting caught were high? "Right" and "Wrong" are local, and varies from human to human.

Want morals?
Pickup a religion.

OmerMe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I can't afford games.
If you can't afford games, how did you pay for the system/modchip/dvds/bandwidth required to be a pirate?

I got money as a present, so I bought a Wii with it, the modchip too, I only buy dvds once in a while, and it costs much less than games, bandwidth? dunno what it is lol
I'm just 15, I do not work, and here in Israel everything costs a lot more than it should(Wii games can cost 100$ or morem DS too), I do not have the money to waste on games with the high numbers of games I want to play, so I got a modchip so I could check the games I want, I know it's theft, but for me it's get a mod chip or get like 2 games

BTW, everyone in Israel downloads stuff lol, that's why gaming and these stuff doesn't sell well here xD

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I pirate simply because I can't afford to pay for the games. Before I bought my modchip, I had had my Wii for one year. Care to guess how many games I had for it? TWO.

They were both birthday presents. One was Resident Evil 4, and the other was Brawl, which I had to BEG for it to get it and that was the only present I got. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm probably lower-middle class. I bought my Wii by saving up my Christmas money, my savings, and my birthday money. I actually didn't want to get a Wiikey, but I figured that the 80 dollars I payed for it was worth it, since my Wii was actually gonna start getting some use.

S

ScuberSteve

paul1991 said:
-Why do you pirate?
Cheaper than actually buying.
-Why do you call the game "Backups" when they are clearly pirated and not of your own creation?
Someone else backed ut up.
-If you want to try a game, why don't you borrow it/rent it/watch videos on youtube instead of pirating it?
Borrow: No one else has it
Rent: Costs more than piracy
Watch videos: Not the same as playing.
Besides, I don't try to justify by saying I'm "just trying it"

-How do you justify ripping the game companies off?
I don't.

I do not think piracy is all bad. I think that intellectual property theft is not stealing. Not making money (Piracy)is not the same as losing money(theft). I just do not understand why you guys try to justify it. I do not have a modchip installed. I have a wiikey sitting on my dresser, but I never got around to installing it.
lol

You guys say thay you buy games to make sure that it is good. This is reasonable. What is not reasonable is that you never buy the game. I have never met a pirate that used the chip to try games.
Neither have I. What's your point?

Why do you fool yourselves? Why do you hide behind a thin vale of legitamacy? If you would just admit that you have a modchip because you fell elite when you use it or you are too cheap to buy games or that you feel you are above paying for games, I would be less annoyed. I will list some popular excuses and holes in them:

I can't afford games.
If you can't afford games, how did you pay for the system/modchip/dvds/bandwidth required to be a pirate?
Ultimately, it's cheaper than buying the games.
The games all suck.
So why do you keep downloading them? Sell you wii and move on.
Potentially, there could be a game that doesn't suck.
Nintendo charges too much.
They have to make up for pirates and they have to pay the bills. Games cost millions to make and advertise. Support them by paying them.
Make up for pirates? How much did games cost way back when piracy WASN'T (as) mainstream? The same.
If I bought the game, I would not get my moneys worth out of it.
Then buy a PS2 and get some cheap games.
But sir, aren't I paying compensation for piracy?
rolleyes.gif

I will admit that I used to pirate DS games. Why? I felt soooooooo cool when I bought it and saw no reason to pay for the games. Now I see games as entertainment that will stop being as high quality if I do not buy games.
How so?

And a closing note:
Games are much less fun when you pirate them. You lose intrest quickly. If you buy it, you are stuck with it and forced to play until the game becomes fun. I but many more of you would have liked SMG if you had purchased it.
...what the hell? Isn't this a matter of opinion?

I own 8 wii games. I paid 50 USD for 6 of those 40USD for 1 and wii sports was included. I have 2 pirated wiiware wads. I have never purchased anything from the WSC.
Eh, piracy's piracy.

My response
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf