Why do YOU homebrew?

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides all the obvious reasons that you would homebrew a console, emulation and whatnot what do you homebrew consoles for? Personally its the feeling of breaking these consoles wide open and rearranging them to my liking. I was the happiest man ever when i saw that homebrew menu on the Wii U. Also the relief of knowing i did everything right and not snapping my console in half and turning it into a brick.

also, the homebrew launcher/channel music. downright amazing. too bad there's nothing of the sort on 3ds. hopefully switch has a banger when i hear it for myself

Reactions: Benja81

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I homebrew so i can do more with the consoles. I like to be able to backup save games and play games not released in my region. I also can pirate the shit out of games that dont deserve to be bought like broken beta releases for $60. I also homebrew to load games off usb drives to save the optical drive from failing faster. Of course there is playing emulators. Also homebrewing can get a game online long after the servers closed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back when we used to get all sorts of interesting code (people mention emulation and that is but the tip of the iceberg really). With the rise/mainstreaming of programmable phones, tablets and things like the raspberry pi that kind of went away.

I like to wander around with a collection of games (even better if changing between them is basically no effort), if they can be hacked to have nice cheats and other hacks to improve things according to my whims then so much the better.

Reactions: Minox and Benja81

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used to homebrew for media playback and emulators.

Then I got a reasonable powerful android phone and never went back. The only thing I would homebrew now is for piracy and tbh, I only pirate older games which I can't get legally in a reasonable manner like Snatcher on the Mega CD.

NanashiFinal13

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In my case, i like to have more control of my consoles. Like install themes, im very fond of console customization. Also, hombrew apps like save managers to do save backups or share the same save data through different consoles, or to bypass region locks (i have a modest collection of 3DS japan exclusives cartridges and my 3DS is USA region, so without the bypass, i can't play them)
And emulation, of course.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything everyone mentioned plus tbh sometimes I think I have more fun doing the hack processes and mods than actually playing the games. And I really like playing games.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...am I the only one thinking this is the wrong definition of "to homebrew"? I always assumed it was creating code/a program yourself. But it's used here as in "to hack your console (usually using someone else's homebrew)". :unsure:

Semantics aside, I'm with the OP on this one: I just want my console to be the easy sort of gaming computer that my computer tends to be (albeit that has more than game use). Meaning: I want to start as many games as possible using as little time/clicks as possible. My wiiu still sees play from time to time, all because I don't have to hassle to change discs, find them unreadable or any other sort of possible issues.

Also...the way I see it, I own my consoles. I don't take the EULA lightly, but I don't see it as a reason to not touch my own console. My desktop PC can play games from no matter what year it was produced. I don't see why consoles should be limited to play just the games the creator had in mind.

Edit: to clarify, take for example a deck of cards. How would we like it if it contained a sticker saying something like "by opening this seal, you agree to only use this deck for classic solitaire. Should you want to play bridge, poker, uno or any other card game, you'll have to buy a deck with a different seal"?

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm...am I the only one thinking this is the wrong definition of "to homebrew"? I always assumed it was creating code/a program yourself. But it's used here as in "to hack your console (usually using someone else's homebrew)". :unsure:

That aside, I'm with the OP on this one: I just want my console to be the easy sort of gaming computer that my computer tends to be (albeit that has more than game use). Meaning: I want to start as many games as possible using as little time/clicks as possible. My wiiu still sees play from time to time, all because I don't have to hassle to change discs, find them unreadable or any other sort of possible issues.

Also...the way I see it, I own my consoles. I don't take the EULA lightly, but I don't see it as a reason to not touch my own console. My desktop PC can play games from no matter what year it was produced. I don't see why consoles should be limited to play just the games the creator had in mind.
Strictly speaking you are correct, but think its because you have to hack the console in order to use any homebrew.

Last edited by Benja81,
Reactions: Taleweaver

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely for the feeling of control of my own property. And as well as the regularly mentioned stuff like emulators, I also sometimes like "to homebrew" in the more accurate sense, feels great to see my own code run on my gadget.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I homebrew so i can do more with the consoles. I like to be able to backup save games and play games not released in my region.

Pirate Games - yes and no.
It makes actual really Fun (again) to "collect" Games "again" (the Prices for Games for my Consoles are really "small"actual.)

Thank you.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.