Why do some headphones sound weird?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Paiuand, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Paiuand
    OP

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    I have bought a lot of headphones and most of them just dont sound clear, i usually test them with my HTC One M8 but also try other shit.
    Well today i bought the BigBen Switch Essential Pack and it is really bad imo it also came with headphones and they also sounded like shit, even when i used them on my switch.
    Is there something causing this or are my ears just dead, is there a reason for this to happen?
    Advice is appreciated.

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    You have a sense for good sound quality, that is all. I have the same problem. That is why I cannot use cheap headphones. They all sound like shit so I ended up spending decent money on a good pair (good, not excellent) for daily use.

I got the v-moda XS on ear headphones for daily use since they sound good and have really good build quality.

I recommend skipping all cheap headphones and trying out some more expensive ones until you find one that your ears like.

DarthDub, VinsCool and Tomato Hentai like this.
  3. Paiuand
    OP

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    Hm, but wouldnt it be better to make myself like the cheap ones by using them all the time?

4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Nope. Just buy better quality ones. I find that larger 'proper' headphones are usually a better bet, in-ear ones usually need to be quite expensive to be good.

5. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Not really, you could try but they will always sound bad. I would know since I tried it back when I had no money as the nice pair I had at the time died.

6. Paiuand
    OP

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    I have no problem with paying much, my problem actually is if the ones i am going to buy are also going to sound like crap.

7. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    What I do is to buy from Amazon (Amazon, not an individual seller) or listen to them at a store or buy them then listen to them if that is not an option. I can then return them with little issue. When doing this with Amazon, keep the original box intact so you can ship it back without needing to find or buy a box to ship it in.

Paiuand likes this.
  8. smileyhead

smileyhead Occasional Reporter

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    holy shit that costs exactly as much as my New3DS (HUF 57,900) :wtf:

9. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I got mine for 100USD off as a sent my old pair of v-Moda Crossfade M80's in to v-Moda as part of their upgrade plan.
    Of course I did spend the full 200$ on the m80 years ago.

Their upgrade plan even applies to broken headphones, which is why I use v-Moda brand headphones. Not just are they hard to break, when they do you get money towards a replacement.

10. Paiuand
    OP

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    Could anyone give me some recommendations?

11. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    V-Moda XS would be my personal recommendation. There are better sounding headphones out there for the price that these cost but these still sound good.

The problem with most other headphones are that they are fragile and designed for listening at home only. This means that you got to baby them all the time and end up never using them outside the house to avoid breaking them. V-Moda designed their headphones to be really durable so I take mine all over the place without needing to baby them or worrying about breaking them.