Homebrew Why do certain romhacks not work on Virtual Console

GreenAndACat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed romhacks that work fine on the 3ds fine before, but some hacks, mostly for the NES, will have graphical errors or just display a black screen (no "touch to open menu"). Specifically, a translation of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and a level hack I made for The Legend of Zelda will freeze after the title screen, both of these hacks work fine on PC emulators.

Do I need a patch to make certain romhacks run correctly? Or is there a specific setting in NSUI that will fix this?
Thanks for taking the time to read this question, I couldn't find an answer anywhere online.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed romhacks that work fine on the 3ds fine before, but some hacks, mostly for the NES, will have graphical errors or just display a black screen (no "touch to open menu"). Specifically, a translation of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and a level hack I made for The Legend of Zelda will freeze after the title screen, both of these hacks work fine on PC emulators.

Do I need a patch to make certain romhacks run correctly? Or is there a specific setting in NSUI that will fix this?
Thanks for taking the time to read this question, I couldn't find an answer anywhere online.
That's why we have homebrew emulators

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't really answer my question though, is there a fix? I like to have all my icons on the home screen, so if there isn't I could just use forwarders.

Because Nintendo's emulators were never intended to load ROMs that way, ROM hacks do weird things to emulators and ROMs, and let's be honest, most of Nintendo's in house emulators aren't that great with compat.

Reactions: Dracari

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much what @the_randomizer said, to put it a lil more so, the Emulator the VC's your trying to inject into, are expecting the game to run exactly stock. some romhack rely on quirks, if they deviate from certain functions or implement something thats not normally needed by the Mapper the game needs, yea it's gonna break the VC.

for example you take say a SNES rom, you create a romhack that requires an external function (like how some early audio hacks worked) but injected it. you got a 50/50 chance of it even playing correctly.
or take the Pokemon Fastmenu / Speedrunner choice hacks. these break mGBA (a working rom in gambette breaks in gameyob (Pokemon Red fastmenu+randomizer will break Nintendo's VC) and Pokemon Emerald Speedrunner's Choice requires a Header patch otherwise it breaks most GBA Emu's and will not run under AGB_FIRM (GBA VC Mode [note this isnt a Emulator so much as it's a function mode the 3DS enters])

so tl;dr Yes some romhacks may need a patch to work on the 3DS, some will not work at all because of accuracy (you'll get boo'd right out of Crystal clear and prism's discord for using 3DS VC/VBA and say it's broken/glitching) or bugs. it's better off to play on the Switch via RetroArch / a phone w/ RetroArch if you want multi-system emulation on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.