Why do 3ds FMA/CGI suck?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by phantastic91, May 28, 2011.

May 28, 2011

Why do 3ds FMA/CGI suck? by phantastic91 at 3:13 AM (1,473 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. phantastic91
    OP

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was wondering why all the CGI/FMA that are out on the 3ds so far look bad.
    SSIV anime clips looked bad and it was awful during dark scenes. the ridge racer 3ds opening looked bad. lego pirates clips looked the worst. Samurai warriors looks cool in 3d but still the quality suck. Why can't the 3ds play smooth/quality videos? psp videos looked much better on day one. is the 3ds hardware not able to handle it?

I haven't gotten dead or alive yet, but from what I'm reading, the quality is worst than what you are seeing on the trailers. and professor layton isn't good either since you see grainess/artifacts

Should we be expecting netflix, 3ds movie contents to all look like the free dog music video that was given on the 3ds (which looked bad)?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    What do you expect from a 400x240 pixel screen? Try watching a Youtube video in 240p mode. That's the sort of quality you should be expecting from the 3DS video player.

3. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    soo....we should be expecting ugly videos then? =[

4. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    240p sounds a little too far.

It should be around 320p.

5. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    hmm....i hope they look better. anyways this sucks. makes the launch of the media features less exiting. so in comparison is the psp like 480p?

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    The 3DS is capable of impressive 3D video (i.e. Ridge Racer intro), but the Ok Go Video was compressed to a horrible extent (thus creating huge pixel artifacts). The video was produced on a shoestring budget which didn't help either.

7. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    The Lego pirate videos were terrible, compression artifacts everywhere, my dstwo in my DS lite can play better video quality than what game demonstrated.

My guess is lazy developers atm, if games like kingdom hearts on the DS can manage the occasional reasonable quality video the 3ds is certainly capable of producing better video.

8. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    i have ridge racer and the intro is ugly. 3d looks nice,but ugly videos are distracting! at least to me.

also, i think 3d works best the clearer the image is. the artifacts and whatnot detracts from the 3d experience

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Video takes up a LOT of space. It's likely they're compressing it to hell to keep the carts cheap right now.

10. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    maybe...i thought about that too. but i wonder how much the 3ds screen has an impact on the quality and they are lower than the psp's resolution

11. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    I think the 3DS will prove to have good quality video as time goes on. I remember comments from last year's E3, where many attendees said the movie trailers looked great in 3D. I think the Ridge Racer intro holds a good resolution, and good 3D effects, but the Lego games are pretty bad. My thought on the Lego games is that the cutscenes were converted to 3D, so you get some weird results. Sometimes the 3D is decent, other times the characters look like flat 2D images spaced between 3D planes.

The OK Go video was bad, but I wouldn't expect a free video to be a huge file, when it's part of a small system update. I only wonder if we will see full length movies released on cart, which I hope is the case. Hopefully there'll be more info at E3.

12. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

1. It's not 3DS' resolution we're complaining about, it the bad quality of CGI videos themselves. Compression artifacts, macroblocks, missing details...

2. The "OK Go" video was over-compressed to save bandwidth. This is understandable.

3. For in-game CGI videos, I could think of the following reasons:
    - to cut costs, game studios aim to fit their games on the smallest cartridges possible. The easiest way to achieve it is to lower video bitrates
    - Nintendo is still using the sub-par ActImagine/MobiClip codec, originally produced and aimed for DS' hardware, which does not match modern XviD / X.264

I agree this is really shameful. The original DS was able to play videos with MoonShell with decent quality. 3DS is at least 4 times as powerful, c'mon !

13. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If the 3DS's internet browser can support Youtube video playback of 480p, then maybe they should look into changing their video format for games (unless they already have). Having checked a 480p flv YT video with a running time of 7m18s was about 58MB, and the same video at 360p mp4 was 35MB. Quality of both was pretty good, and would not look bad scaled down to the 3DS's 15:9 240p screen.

14. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Mehweh; It's 3d.

15. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Metal Gear's cut scenes will be the teller.

16. dsfanatic5

United States
    That, and probably the Resident Evil games, whose CGI cutscenes look pretty good from the initial trailers.

17. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    They must be using shit codecs to save up on space.

Mercs or Revelations? Because the Revelations trailer is 100% 3DS generated.

18. dsfanatic5

United States
    Nevermind, you're right. I guess the graphics look so good I forgot they were in-engine [​IMG]
    I just wish I could've seen those trailers at last years E3, like How to Train Your Dragon, and Legend of Guardians: Owl whatnot. Maybe trailers will be downloadable through eShop soon, and we'll all see what the 3DS can really do.