Why can't GameCube games be loaded off USB HDD's?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Conmore, Jun 27, 2012.

Jun 27, 2012
  1. Conmore
    OP

Newcomer Conmore Advanced Member

United States
    I was just wondering, because I have it formatted in NTFS, and when I put GC game files that were put through DiscEx, they don't show up, but when I do the same with an SD card, it shows up just fine. Anything I can do? I'm using USB Loader GX and MIOS DIOS to launch GC Games. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still learning what everything is when it comes to Wii Software.

2. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    NTFS isn't supported. Format as FAT32 with a 32k cluster and then that'll work.

3. mrpinkeye

Member mrpinkeye GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    hmm, id been wondering why my HDD wouldnt work, wil have to check what format its in. it does show the games in cfg loader though...just wont play them. does that make sense?

pretty sure i also tryed with my usb stick which is fat32 32k clusters and that wouldnt run games in cfg :(

4. Conmore
    OP

United States
    Thanks! You're a lifesaver. I'll tell you the results. Will this also hold Wii Games with the WBFS File System?

5. uribemaster

Member uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you using Dios Mios Lite or Dios Mios? Dios Mios Lite only supports sd and not usb

6. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    If you want to keep your ntfs drive you can split the hdd into two partitions but make sure the first one is fat32 with 32k clusters

7. Conmore
    OP

United States
    DIOS MIOS, but I'm not 100% sure. Is there a way I can check.

8. Conmore
    OP

United States
    Still no luck with it. Is there a guide to doing this somewhere? Because it shows the Wii Games on the HDD, but not the Gamecube Games. I will try to uninstall the current MIOS DIOS wad (if possible) and try a fresh install. Anything else I can do? Should I keep putting the games through Disc Ex? Or just slap the iso right in there?

9. mrpinkeye

Member mrpinkeye GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i may need to do this. would gc games show up at all in cfg on a ntfs drive? i need to check my format when home but i know it shows them, they just wont play....

10. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    If cfg is like usblaoder gx then yes it would still show the games in the ntfs partition. Just make sure the first partition to the left is fat32.

11. uribemaster

Member uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No i don't think there is but what you can do is just download Dios Mios 2.0 and install it. It'll delete the old one just so that you can be sure that you are using that instead of DML. You don't lose anything from doing this and also make sure that you are putting the gamecube games in a folder called games

12. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Wait wait wait... Is it now possible to play Gamecube games on the Wii without any type of hardmod?

13. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    yeap

14. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    o lawd.. I have my weekend planned out for me.

Thanks!!!!!!

15. yatesl

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    To play Gamecube games, you need DIOS MIOS, and a FAT32 partition on your hard drive. Importantly, the FAT32 partition needs to be the first partition on the drive, and active. You can check/do this by using a program like EaseUS. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend backing up all your Wii images to your computer, and totally format the hard drive - WBFS is an outdated file system. Wii games can be loaded off FAT32 and NTFS, so you can just put all your Wii and Gamecube games on one partition.

If you decide to keep them separate, you need to make sure you go in to settings/config on your USB loader every time, and change the partition to WBFS (or NTFS) to FAT32. This is why your Gamecube games aren't showing. You'll then need to change back whenever you want to see your Wii games.

16. dancemonkey

Member dancemonkey GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you are using WBFS You can just convert http://gbatemp.net/topic/292391-how-to-convert-from-wbfs-to-fat32-or-ntfs/

1 person likes this.
  17. yatesl

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's much faster. He may even strike lucky, and WBFS is his first partition

18. Conmore
    OP

United States
    I figured out my problem, it turns out that USB Launcher GX and WiiFlow won't see GameCube games on an HDD yet, and you have to use this to 'see' the games on your HDD, saved in the "games" folder, not the root. But for some reason, the games will freeze up randomly on loading screens, and this never happened with USB Launcher, that's why I have to use that, because the games work that way. I guess I'll wait for an update.

EDIT: Cyan posted something about it here. Thanks Cyan! It worked once, but the game failed to boot right, then after that, it started giving me an error message saying to copy games to an SD card or delete them.

19. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    it's not an error message, it's an informative message.
    You are not using the correct USBLoader GX version.

you need this version.
    The other one didn't have DIOS MIOS with USB compatibility, only DIOS MIOS Lite with SD compatibility.

If you have the correct version but still see the message telling you to copy to SD, it's because you have DIOS MIOS Lite installed. (check in the USBLoaderGX credit page, you see which MIOS is installed).

20. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Sorry this is offtopic but:
    Can you then merge the fat partitions together without losing data>? Forexample I have a 320gb formatted to 1/fat 2/wbfs 3/ntfs, can I use the tool to convert partition 2 to fat 32/32kb cluster without losing my wbfs games, and then merge partition 1 with partition 2 (now fat 32 and same cluster size, so I just have 2 partitions, 1/fat 32 32kb cluster 2/ntfs?