Hacking Why can't GameCube games be loaded off USB HDD's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Conmore
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 27,903
  • Replies Replies 30

Conmore

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jun 26, 2012
Messages
57
Reaction score
14
Trophies
0
Age
28
XP
159
Country
United States
I was just wondering, because I have it formatted in NTFS, and when I put GC game files that were put through DiscEx, they don't show up, but when I do the same with an SD card, it shows up just fine. Anything I can do? I'm using USB Loader GX and MIOS DIOS to launch GC Games. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still learning what everything is when it comes to Wii Software.
 
I was just wondering, because I have it formatted in NTFS, and when I put GC game files that were put through DiscEx, they don't show up, but when I do the same with an SD card, it shows up just fine. Anything I can do? I'm using USB Loader GX and MIOS DIOS to launch GC Games. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still learning what everything is when it comes to Wii Software.
NTFS isn't supported. Format as FAT32 with a 32k cluster and then that'll work.
 
I was just wondering, because I have it formatted in NTFS, and when I put GC game files that were put through DiscEx, they don't show up, but when I do the same with an SD card, it shows up just fine. Anything I can do? I'm using USB Loader GX and MIOS DIOS to launch GC Games. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still learning what everything is when it comes to Wii Software.
NTFS isn't supported. Format as FAT32 with a 32k cluster and then that'll work.

hmm, id been wondering why my HDD wouldnt work, wil have to check what format its in. it does show the games in cfg loader though...just wont play them. does that make sense?

pretty sure i also tryed with my usb stick which is fat32 32k clusters and that wouldnt run games in cfg :(
 
I was just wondering, because I have it formatted in NTFS, and when I put GC game files that were put through DiscEx, they don't show up, but when I do the same with an SD card, it shows up just fine. Anything I can do? I'm using USB Loader GX and MIOS DIOS to launch GC Games. Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still learning what everything is when it comes to Wii Software.
NTFS isn't supported. Format as FAT32 with a 32k cluster and then that'll work.
Thanks! You're a lifesaver. I'll tell you the results. Will this also hold Wii Games with the WBFS File System?
 
Still no luck with it. Is there a guide to doing this somewhere? Because it shows the Wii Games on the HDD, but not the Gamecube Games. I will try to uninstall the current MIOS DIOS wad (if possible) and try a fresh install. Anything else I can do? Should I keep putting the games through Disc Ex? Or just slap the iso right in there?
 
If you want to keep your ntfs drive you can split the hdd into two partitions but make sure the first one is fat32 with 32k clusters

i may need to do this. would gc games show up at all in cfg on a ntfs drive? i need to check my format when home but i know it shows them, they just wont play....
 
If cfg is like usblaoder gx then yes it would still show the games in the ntfs partition. Just make sure the first partition to the left is fat32.
 
Are you using Dios Mios Lite or Dios Mios? Dios Mios Lite only supports sd and not usb
DIOS MIOS, but I'm not 100% sure. Is there a way I can check.
No i don't think there is but what you can do is just download Dios Mios 2.0 and install it. It'll delete the old one just so that you can be sure that you are using that instead of DML. You don't lose anything from doing this and also make sure that you are putting the gamecube games in a folder called games
 
To play Gamecube games, you need DIOS MIOS, and a FAT32 partition on your hard drive. Importantly, the FAT32 partition needs to be the first partition on the drive, and active. You can check/do this by using a program like EaseUS. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend backing up all your Wii images to your computer, and totally format the hard drive - WBFS is an outdated file system. Wii games can be loaded off FAT32 and NTFS, so you can just put all your Wii and Gamecube games on one partition.

If you decide to keep them separate, you need to make sure you go in to settings/config on your USB loader every time, and change the partition to WBFS (or NTFS) to FAT32. This is why your Gamecube games aren't showing. You'll then need to change back whenever you want to see your Wii games.
 
To play Gamecube games, you need DIOS MIOS, and a FAT32 partition on your hard drive. Importantly, the FAT32 partition needs to be the first partition on the drive, and active. You can check/do this by using a program like EaseUS. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend backing up all your Wii images to your computer, and totally format the hard drive - WBFS is an outdated file system. Wii games can be loaded off FAT32 and NTFS, so you can just put all your Wii and Gamecube games on one partition.

If you decide to keep them separate, you need to make sure you go in to settings/config on your USB loader every time, and change the partition to WBFS (or NTFS) to FAT32. This is why your Gamecube games aren't showing. You'll then need to change back whenever you want to see your Wii games.

If you are using WBFS You can just convert http://gbatemp.net/topic/292391-how-to-convert-from-wbfs-to-fat32-or-ntfs/
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
To play Gamecube games, you need DIOS MIOS, and a FAT32 partition on your hard drive. Importantly, the FAT32 partition needs to be the first partition on the drive, and active. You can check/do this by using a program like EaseUS. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend backing up all your Wii images to your computer, and totally format the hard drive - WBFS is an outdated file system. Wii games can be loaded off FAT32 and NTFS, so you can just put all your Wii and Gamecube games on one partition.

If you decide to keep them separate, you need to make sure you go in to settings/config on your USB loader every time, and change the partition to WBFS (or NTFS) to FAT32. This is why your Gamecube games aren't showing. You'll then need to change back whenever you want to see your Wii games.

If you are using WBFS You can just convert http://gbatemp.net/t...-fat32-or-ntfs/
Yeah, that's much faster. He may even strike lucky, and WBFS is his first partition
 
I figured out my problem, it turns out that USB Launcher GX and WiiFlow won't see GameCube games on an HDD yet, and you have to use this to 'see' the games on your HDD, saved in the "games" folder, not the root. But for some reason, the games will freeze up randomly on loading screens, and this never happened with USB Launcher, that's why I have to use that, because the games work that way. I guess I'll wait for an update.

EDIT: Cyan posted something about it here. Thanks Cyan! It worked once, but the game failed to boot right, then after that, it started giving me an error message saying to copy games to an SD card or delete them.
 
it's not an error message, it's an informative message.
You are not using the correct USBLoader GX version.

you need this version.
The other one didn't have DIOS MIOS with USB compatibility, only DIOS MIOS Lite with SD compatibility.

If you have the correct version but still see the message telling you to copy to SD, it's because you have DIOS MIOS Lite installed. (check in the USBLoaderGX credit page, you see which MIOS is installed).
 
To play Gamecube games, you need DIOS MIOS, and a FAT32 partition on your hard drive. Importantly, the FAT32 partition needs to be the first partition on the drive, and active. You can check/do this by using a program like EaseUS. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend backing up all your Wii images to your computer, and totally format the hard drive - WBFS is an outdated file system. Wii games can be loaded off FAT32 and NTFS, so you can just put all your Wii and Gamecube games on one partition.

If you decide to keep them separate, you need to make sure you go in to settings/config on your USB loader every time, and change the partition to WBFS (or NTFS) to FAT32. This is why your Gamecube games aren't showing. You'll then need to change back whenever you want to see your Wii games.

If you are using WBFS You can just convert http://gbatemp.net/t...-fat32-or-ntfs/
Sorry this is offtopic but:
Can you then merge the fat partitions together without losing data>? Forexample I have a 320gb formatted to 1/fat 2/wbfs 3/ntfs, can I use the tool to convert partition 2 to fat 32/32kb cluster without losing my wbfs games, and then merge partition 1 with partition 2 (now fat 32 and same cluster size, so I just have 2 partitions, 1/fat 32 32kb cluster 2/ntfs?
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted