Misc Why can't emulators emulate local wireless?

Argentarus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm curious why emulating local wireless for DS games and 3DS games is still impossible. Is it a spec thing or visibility thing?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DS uses special hardware that cannot be replicated on emulators.
Not only that, but Desmume hasn’t been updated in a while and NoCash doesn’t focus on emulating this, so unless someone rolls around and makes another emulator with this function in mind, maybe it’s possible, but I doubt it will.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not only that, but Desmume hasn’t been updated in a while and NoCash doesn’t focus on emulating this, so unless someone rolls around and makes another emulator with this function in mind, maybe it’s possible, but I doubt it will.
In addition to that the protocol used by DS connectivity, aka "Ni-Fi", is a propietary variation of the 802.11 standard and requires modded drivers to make it work, which so far have been made only for very few and very old chipsets.

I don't know if emulating such a functionality over the internet via encapsulation would require custom drivers (and imho it wouldn't make much sense as you can already connect to the internet via DesMuMe) but it definitely would for emulator to physical DS/3DS/Wii local play.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

You do have a work round hacking the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and tricking the DS into thinking is online play.

Or you could connect the DS and the emulator to a custom server.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-con...flaw-in-the-nintendo-ds-i-ssl-library.522011/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what proprietary hardware or custom drivers have to do with it if you're just wanting 2 instances of the emulator to talk to each other (the same way link cable emulation works in the older Game Boy and gba emulators). Those would only be relevant if you want to communicate with a real DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1