GCN Why aren't PS2 component cables as rare as GameCube component cables?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Official PS2 component cables were trash. Official PS3 component cables on the other hand are rare and expensive. Same with Original Xbox too.

I use an xploder HDTV player cable on my PS2, it works fine on the PS3 & it's lasted a long time now. I don't recall ever seeing an official PS2 component cable in the UK.

The original Xbox component is more complex, they only sold them in the US. I got some from a bankrupt game developer.

D

Deleted User

Seems somewhat redundant nowadays. Other than from a collectors stand point the best option is to just get a Wii with component cables and use that for GC games.
Lucky me, my flatmate moved out a few weeks ago, and I kept some of his shit that he abandoned here, one of those was an Xbox360+PS2/PS3+Wii component cable.

Might give the wii a try with it some time.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What kind of TV was it?

From what I recall, it was a Zenith TV branded as an EDTV (Enhanced Definition Television) meaning it could support 480p. I think I bought it the same year Tekken 4 came out on the PS2. That game looked amazing in 480p. The really annoying thing with that TV was that if the signal fed through the component cable was 480i, I didn't see anything if the TV was set to display 480p. I had to unplug the component cable (5 wires total including audio) and plug it back into the 480i component input sockets, and then on the remote select that option. Then do it the other way around to play something in 480p. That's enough to drive you mad. But the picture was so great in 480p, so I was a very patient man back then.:rofl2:

Reactions: Ryccardo

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't read through the whole thread, but the short answer is that the PS2 cables are simple cables with no circuitry, and the Gamecube ones have proprietary circuitry inside of it. Also they didnt make as many Gamecubes ones back in the day so less of them exist today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld