Why aren't PS2 component cables as rare as GameCube component cables?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by supernintendo128, Oct 13, 2019.

1. supernintendo128
    OP

supernintendo128 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2019
    United States
    Alabama
    We are all painfully aware how expensive the GameCube component cables are. My question however is that why aren't PS2 component cables as rare? Only hardcore videophiles had the equipment capable to truly take advantage of the improved picture from component cables (hence why the GCN component cables failed miserably), so why are PS2 component cables so readily available? Even officially branded cables are only $30 compared to the GCN component cable's $300.

2. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Actually people having the right equipment to use component wasn't uncommon at all. Nintendo simply never made the GC cables widely available and there was something about GC that stopped 3rd party ones from working properly. Other consoles cables were produced in normal quantities and 3rd party ones worked fine, hence the lower prices.

Last edited by spectral, Oct 13, 2019
  3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    from what i gather it was mainly due to the fact the PS2 cables are simply cables, while the GC cables have a chip inside the cable to work, this meant no cheap third party cables existed, plus the PS2 vastly outsold the GC, and a lot more people bought the PS2 as a media system for the DVD output which probably caused a fair number of those people to upgrade their cables to get a decent quality picture for their movies, and now after the fact there is more demand for the gamecube cables than for the PS2 cables

i guess ultimately it all boils down to the good old supply and demand

less cables in existence + high demand = high cost
    abundance of cables in existence + low demand = low cost

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 13, 2019
    Madridi and Ryccardo like this.
  4. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    the ps3 component cables are backwards compatible with ps2 component cables no...? at least from personal experience

and you can just easily buy third party ones

5. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Yeah, thats why the OP is asking. Why are they so common on PS2,etc and so rare on GC.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    because up until recently there was no third party options, now thanks to independent efforts the method to replicate the component cables is available, but still fairly pricey considering, but again this is due to the fact the GC cables are not simply a bit of wire with a special connector, they have a chip inside them to function

7. AceX

AceX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure Joytech made them.
    I used to have one of these and as you can see, cables.
    s-l1600.

8. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Yeah, long story short, there's a chip with proprietary code on the GCN component cables that make it work, whereas the PS2 one is just a cable, IIRC. Also, Nintendo never manufactured very many of them. If you've ever wondered how newer 3rd party HDMI adapters or mods get clean, digital images out of the GameCube, it's actually because of that chip in the cable and the community designing their own version and code.

alexander1970 and Ryccardo like this.
  9. supernintendo128
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2019
    United States
    Alabama
    Does it plug into the digital port?

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    thats a standard nintendo multi-out connector, the component cables use the Digital AV Out port on the gamecube.

11. AceX

AceX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I think I just read Gamecube cable lol, nvm me.

gamesquest1 likes this.
  12. supernintendo128
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2019
    United States
    Alabama
    What about progressive scan?

13. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Not all that uncommon. These consoles were still in regular use when HDTV's(well 720p ones anyway) started to become affordable.

Last edited by spectral, Oct 13, 2019
  14. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Official PS2 component cables were trash. Official PS3 component cables on the other hand are rare and expensive. Same with Original Xbox too.

alexander1970 likes this.
  15. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Back in the day, I bought my Gamecube component cable directly from Nintendo's website, and got it in the mail in a simple bubble-padded envelope. It wasn't that expensive, maybe $40 CDN. My TV was some kind of atrocity, it supported 480p and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p. No HDMI port, just component, which worked fine with the Gamecube component cable. It was a CRT, not a LCD, LED, Plasma, or anything. And no ATSC (HDTV) tuner, so I couldn't watch digital TV on it. I paid like $1000 bucks for it back then. Entirely too much, but the picture was awesome in 480p for videogames that supported progressive scan.

16. supernintendo128
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2019
    United States
    Alabama
    My life is a lie.
    What kind of TV was it?

17. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    I'm not saying it's what most people had, but it wasn't so uncommon that it could account rarity and price of the GC component cables. The GC/Xbox/PS2 all were all just before the mainstream jump to HD Ready LCD sets and the first HD ready consoles.

Last edited by spectral, Oct 14, 2019
  18. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    A great clone component cable can be bought for around $90 here as of recently.

19. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Seems somewhat redundant nowadays. Other than from a collectors stand point the best option is to just get a Wii with component cables and use that for GC games.

20. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Yeah, unless you're a super hardcore GC fan I'd say get a wii also.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted