GCN Why aren't PS2 component cables as rare as GameCube component cables?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are all painfully aware how expensive the GameCube component cables are. My question however is that why aren't PS2 component cables as rare? Only hardcore videophiles had the equipment capable to truly take advantage of the improved picture from component cables (hence why the GCN component cables failed miserably), so why are PS2 component cables so readily available? Even officially branded cables are only $30 compared to the GCN component cable's $300.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually people having the right equipment to use component wasn't uncommon at all. Nintendo simply never made the GC cables widely available and there was something about GC that stopped 3rd party ones from working properly. Other consoles cables were produced in normal quantities and 3rd party ones worked fine, hence the lower prices.

Last edited by spectral,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
We are all painfully aware how expensive the GameCube component cables are. My question however is that why aren't PS2 component cables as rare? Only hardcore videophiles had the equipment capable to truly take advantage of the improved picture from component cables (hence why the GCN component cables failed miserably), so why are PS2 component cables so readily available? Even officially branded cables are only $30 compared to the GCN component cable's $300.
from what i gather it was mainly due to the fact the PS2 cables are simply cables, while the GC cables have a chip inside the cable to work, this meant no cheap third party cables existed, plus the PS2 vastly outsold the GC, and a lot more people bought the PS2 as a media system for the DVD output which probably caused a fair number of those people to upgrade their cables to get a decent quality picture for their movies, and now after the fact there is more demand for the gamecube cables than for the PS2 cables

i guess ultimately it all boils down to the good old supply and demand

less cables in existence + high demand = high cost
abundance of cables in existence + low demand = low cost

Last edited by gamesquest1,
D

Deleted User

the ps3 component cables are backwards compatible with ps2 component cables no...? at least from personal experience

and you can just easily buy third party ones

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah, thats why the OP is asking. Why are they so common on PS2,etc and so rare on GC.
because up until recently there was no third party options, now thanks to independent efforts the method to replicate the component cables is available, but still fairly pricey considering, but again this is due to the fact the GC cables are not simply a bit of wire with a special connector, they have a chip inside them to function

AceX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this meant no cheap third party cables existed
I'm sure Joytech made them.
I used to have one of these and as you can see, cables.
s-l1600.jpg

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, long story short, there's a chip with proprietary code on the GCN component cables that make it work, whereas the PS2 one is just a cable, IIRC. Also, Nintendo never manufactured very many of them. If you've ever wondered how newer 3rd party HDMI adapters or mods get clean, digital images out of the GameCube, it's actually because of that chip in the cable and the community designing their own version and code.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Back in the day, I bought my Gamecube component cable directly from Nintendo's website, and got it in the mail in a simple bubble-padded envelope. It wasn't that expensive, maybe $40 CDN. My TV was some kind of atrocity, it supported 480p and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p. No HDMI port, just component, which worked fine with the Gamecube component cable. It was a CRT, not a LCD, LED, Plasma, or anything. And no ATSC (HDTV) tuner, so I couldn't watch digital TV on it. I paid like $1000 bucks for it back then. Entirely too much, but the picture was awesome in 480p for videogames that supported progressive scan.

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all that uncommon. These consoles were still in regular use when HDTV's(well 720p ones anyway) started to become affordable.

My life is a lie.
Back in the day, I bought my Gamecube component cable directly from Nintendo's website, and got it in the mail in a simple bubble-padded envelope. It wasn't that expensive, maybe $40 CDN. My TV was some kind of atrocity, it supported 480p and 1080i, but not 720p or 1080p. No HDMI port, just component, which worked fine with the Gamecube component cable. It was a CRT, not a LCD, LED, Plasma, or anything. And no ATSC (HDTV) tuner, so I couldn't watch digital TV on it. I paid like $1000 bucks for it back then. Entirely too much, but the picture was awesome in 480p for videogames that supported progressive scan.

What kind of TV was it?

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
My life is a lie.

What kind of TV was it?

I'm not saying it's what most people had, but it wasn't so uncommon that it could account rarity and price of the GC component cables. The GC/Xbox/PS2 all were all just before the mainstream jump to HD Ready LCD sets and the first HD ready consoles.

Last edited by spectral,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: wait...my gbatemp acc is almost 10 yrs old lmao