Hardware Who read the 3DS Service Agreement?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian: This is not a rumor, I'm quoting Nintendo's statements. They flat out confirmed what was previously rumor.
Read it. The manual's been available for ages, we covered this MONTHS ago.

Seriously, read it.
It's the service agreement that matters. In the quote above, Nintendo states that "After the Nintendo 3DS menu is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS System, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, will render the system permanently unplayable." Why don't you tell me what you think that means?

You are essentially suggesting that Nintendo's policy is lying about what their policy is, lol.

Is there anything in specific you would like me to look at in the manual?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
They can not legally, purposefully brick an electronic device in many countries across the globe. They can ban you from offline, sure. They can not legally render the system unplayable though. Owning the data and owning the system are two drastically different things. The moment they do that, despite the agreement, they will have a class action lawsuit from hell on them. That is simply a scare line and nothing more.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
They can not legally, purposefully brick an electronic device in many countries across the globe. They can ban you from offline, sure. They can not legally render the system unplayable though. Owning the data and owning the system are two drastically different things. The moment they do that, despite the agreement, they will have a class action lawsuit from hell on them. That is simply a scare line and nothing more.
They did it with the Wii (literally all around the world since they were region changed) and didn't get in trouble.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, are you talking about that 4.2 update that made modifications to the bootloader that were risky and even bricked legitimate, unhacked consoles? Yeah, prime example. It's goal was not to brick; it's goal was to wipe all traces of homebrew. The operation had unexpected consequences though, and Nintendo offered a free fix to anybody who was bricked in that fashion, with a legitimate, unhacked machine, of course.. They didn't send it out snickering, "hehehe, this is gonna break shit."

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, are you talking about that 4.2 update that made modifications to the bootloader that were risky and even bricked legitimate, unhacked consoles? Yeah, prime example. It's goal was not to brick; it's goal was to wipe all traces of homebrew. The operation had unexpected consequences though, and Nintendo offered a fix to anybody who was bricked in that fashion. They didn't send it out snickering, "hehehe, this is gonna break shit."
The 003 error was intentional. The accidental bricks from the boot2 update was not. They offered to fix a Wii if the update failed during something critical (such as boot2), not the 003 error.

Besides, if it wasn't intentional, why wouldn't they remove the code that did it (yeah, they added the code) from IOS80?

Edit: They did have a warning that went along with the 4.2/4.3 updates which stated the update could render your Wii useless if you had any unauthorized modifications on it. "Any" turned out just to be if it was a region changed Korean Wii.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Error 003 was a region check. You fuck around with your Wii and start messing with region settings and menu installations, you get what's coming when updates happen and you aren't being careful. That was fixable though. That did not render the system unplayable for anybody with some patience and a lick of sense. If you had managed to get yourself that far, you were perfectly able to get yourself right back out of the situation. They simply tightened up their security, and people fell into the trap.

Unless this is something different from what I read about, which I don't imagine it is, as the article mentioned the IOS that you brought up, as well as IOS60 or whatever it was that could fix the error through relatively painless means.

What they can not do is send out a signal, or an update specifically designed to brick any devices with a trace of homebrew or unauthorized activity on them. They can do something such as sending an update that may try to pull what caused the bootloader bricks in the 4.2 update, hopefully smarter so it doesn't actually brick the device, but they can not purposefully brick any device with the aforementioned activity present within the logs.

Worst comes to worst, play offline. Problem solving at its finest.

Reactions: 1 person

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, are you talking about that 4.2 update that made modifications to the bootloader that were risky and even bricked legitimate, unhacked consoles? Yeah, prime example. It's goal was not to brick; it's goal was to wipe all traces of homebrew. The operation had unexpected consequences though, and Nintendo offered a fix to anybody who was bricked in that fashion. They didn't send it out snickering, "hehehe, this is gonna break shit."
The 003 error was intentional. The accidental bricks from the boot2 update was not. They offered to fix a Wii if the update failed during something critical (such as boot2), not the 003 error.

Besides, if it wasn't intentional, why wouldn't they remove the code that did it (yeah, they added the code) from IOS80?

Edit: They did have a warning that went along with the 4.2/4.3 updates which stated the update could render your Wii useless if you had any unauthorized modifications on it. "Any" turned out just to be if it was a region changed Korean Wii.
so you're basically saying that Nintendo intentionally tried to brick region changed Korean Wiis

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Error 003 was a region check. You fuck around with your Wii and start messing with region settings and menu installations, you get what's coming when updates happen and you aren't being careful.
The majority of people who owned a Korean Wii didn't even realize it. People buy them (Korean ones are cheaper), region change them, swap the case with one from another region, and sell it as a new Wii.
That was fixable though.
Not for a long, long time it wasn't. It was like 2 years or something before it was fixable.
That did not render the system unplayable for anybody with some patience and a lick of sense. If you had managed to get yourself that far, you were perfectly able to get yourself right back out of the situation. They simply tightened up their security, and people fell into the trap.
Again, people bought them without knowing that they were region changed. Before that update, it didn't really matter to the end user anyway.
Unless this is something different from what I read about, which I don't imagine it is, as the article mentioned the IOS that you brought up, as well as IOS60 or whatever it was that could fix the error through relatively painless means.
It was later discovered that you could PREVENT the error by using that IOS, but you can't install it once your Wii is bricked.
What they can not do is send out a signal, or an update specifically designed to brick any devices with a trace of homebrew or unauthorized activity on them.
That is exactly what they did with 4.2/4.3
They can do something such as sending an update that may try to pull what caused the bootloader bricks in the 4.2 update, hopefully smarter so it doesn't actually brick the device, but they can not purposefully brick any device with the aforementioned activity present within the logs.
You are mixing up the kinds of bricks. The 003 error wasn't related to the failed boot2 updates.
That would work, but it sucks.
so you're basically saying that Nintendo intentionally tried to brick region changed Korean Wiis
Yes, they tried and succeeded. It was a huge deal, lol.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm telling you to read the thread I linked.

You're posting about old crap, people already had this scare a while ago and I already listed lots of reasons and examples why it's not true.

Fucking seriously dude. Don't make me copy-paste it into this thread.
You said "manual", not thread, lol.

Anyway, Nintendo says they will do it in the service agreement. Their statement is not a rumor. You really can't debate that. Well, you can, but then you would just be trolling. I'm open to the possibility that it is a bluff, but that wasn't the point of this thread. I was simply asking how many people noticed the things they agreed to.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
The majority of people who owned a Korean Wii didn't even realize it. People buy them (Korean ones are cheaper), region change them, swap the case with one from another region, and sell it as a new Wii.
That was fixable though.
Not for a long, long time it wasn't. It was like 2 years or something before it was fixable.
That did not render the system unplayable for anybody with some patience and a lick of sense. If you had managed to get yourself that far, you were perfectly able to get yourself right back out of the situation. They simply tightened up their security, and people fell into the trap.
Again, people bought them without knowing that they were region changed. Before that update, it didn't really matter to the end user anyway.
It was later discovered that you could PREVENT the error by using that IOS, but you can't install it once your Wii is bricked.
What they can not do is send out a signal, or an update specifically designed to brick any devices with a trace of homebrew or unauthorized activity on them.
That is exactly what they did with 4.2/4.3
They can do something such as sending an update that may try to pull what caused the bootloader bricks in the 4.2 update, hopefully smarter so it doesn't actually brick the device, but they can not purposefully brick any device with the aforementioned activity present within the logs.
You are mixing up the kinds of bricks. The 003 error wasn't related to the failed boot2 updates.
That would work, but it sucks.
That one is tricky, but Nintendo can't help that. They didn't send the update assuming that people were committing that practice. I'm sure they were aware that a handful of Wii's may have been affected, but if it's not a majority, it doesn't matter. Sadly, the fault there is not on Nintendo. The fault is on the sellers.

It sucks that it took so long. It surprises me that it took so long. I suppose Wii hacking is cracked open far more now than it was then, though.

Once again, that is the fault of the seller swindling the buyer. Nintendo had no control over that. They are not obligated to fix a situation they were not in control over.

That's kind of a too bad so sad situation. I'm sorry for any innocents that got caught up in that whole scandal, but it can not be called Nintendo purposefully bricking devices. They sent out an update to the region checks. When these checks tried to go about their business on a modified console, they failed, the Wii broke. It's like updating a modded PSP with an official update. Maybe you don't know your PSP is hacked because you bought it secondhand from somebody who didn't mention it. As soon as you agree to apply the update though, it goes through the steps, and if anything is messed up at the end, it can't be helped. Being the victim of buying a hacked console wasn't going to get it replaced by Sony, though.

I remember the 4.3 release. That did not brick as far as I'm aware. It did what 4.2 was supposed to. It removed homebrew harmlessly. That was what Nintendo was aiming for, and they were successful with 4.3. The 4.2 debacle was a mishap, likely something overlooked that caused problems. Nintendo acknowledged the problem at least, but went ahead and used it against the hackers anyways. As it was not a purposeful brick, they did not do anything wrong. It was a side effect of bad files.

I know the difference between the bricks. I never mixed the two up. Regardless, Nintendo can't be blamed for either as trying to purposefully brick hacked consoles. One was a Nintendo "oops," the other was essentially an update that made new checks that when failed, returned an unfix-able error due to the nature of the problem. No matter what, Nintendo did not ever display that they were purposefully bricking every console that fell under the umbrella of being modified.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I meant that you should read the thread because I covered the manual in it, my bad on the wording.

And dude, really, read the thread. This is not new (for like the 8th time).

They did not just pull this. This is not a new move. They did this with the Wii/DSi/XL and shit too.

Just click and read, seriously.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So the only way you can brick your 3DS is by modding it in some way or use a flashcart in 3ds mode right?
Cause I don't think a DS-Mode flashcart will harm the 3ds itself in any way right?
Either way, I don't think I will be doing any 3DS Mode hacking like softmods (definetely no hardmods)

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
That one is tricky, but Nintendo can't help that. They didn't send the update assuming that people were committing that practice. I'm sure they were aware that a handful of Wii's may have been affected, but if it's not a majority, it doesn't matter. Sadly, the fault there is not on Nintendo. The fault is on the sellers.
Yes they did. That was the point of it.

It sucks that it took so long. It surprises me that it took so long. I suppose Wii hacking is cracked open far more now than it was then, though.
It was because Smash Stack didn't work on all regions.

Once again, that is the fault of the seller swindling the buyer. Nintendo had no control over that. They are not obligated to fix a situation they were not in control over.
They CAUSED the situation.

That's kind of a too bad so sad situation. I'm sorry for any innocents that got caught up in that whole scandal, but it can not be called Nintendo purposefully bricking devices. They sent out an update to the region checks. When these checks tried to go about their business on a modified console, they failed, the Wii broke. It's like updating a modded PSP with an official update. Maybe you don't know your PSP is hacked because you bought it secondhand from somebody who didn't mention it. As soon as you agree to apply the update though, it goes through the steps, and if anything is messed up at the end, it can't be helped. Being the victim of buying a hacked console wasn't going to get it replaced by Sony, though.
It wasn't about a failed region check. If it failed, you WOULDN'T get the 003 error. It checked the SEEPROM to see if you had the Korean key, and if you did, it executed the code to block access to your Wii. It was completely intentional. The 003 error was designed specifically for this.

I remember the 4.3 release. That did not brick as far as I'm aware. It did what 4.2 was supposed to. It removed homebrew harmlessly. That was what Nintendo was aiming for, and they were successful with 4.3. The 4.2 debacle was a mishap, likely something overlooked that caused problems. Nintendo acknowledged the problem at least, but went ahead and used it against the hackers anyways. As it was not a purposeful brick, they did not do anything wrong. It was a side effect of bad files.
It did the same thing, but there was a year between the updates, so it became common practice to install IOS60 into slot 70 and 80 in preparation for their next update. As long as that was installed, Nintendo's SEEPROM check failed and so you wouldn't get a brick.

I know the difference between the bricks. I never mixed the two up. Regardless, Nintendo can't be blamed for either as trying to purposefully brick hacked consoles. One was a Nintendo "oops," the other was essentially an update that made new checks that when failed, returned an unfix-able error due to the nature of the problem. No matter what, Nintendo did not ever display that they were purposefully bricking every console that fell under the umbrella of being modified.
How are you not getting this? The code was written to brick the Wii. It wasn't some unfortunate side effect that they didn't anticipate.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but what is the relevance to the 3DS exactly??

Is it because the 3DS is region locked and you think Nintendo might brick region changed 3DS'?
I'm just saying that they got away with intentionally bricking via update before. However, they gave a (vague) warning ahead of time on the Wii, so it's not proof that they could do the same on the 3DS.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
So, if this brick was completely provable, why did nothing come of it? I can only guess the Korea was one such country where bricking a device was not an illegal practice. Remember, I did not say it's illegal in all countries. Just many. There are still quite a few that fall outside the umbrella. With the 3DS though, these places are embraced under the umbrella of a small handful of regions, making it much harder for Nintendo to pull something like they did with Korean Wii's.

You know Wii hacking far better than I ever will, so I'll trust you on the point of the update. I don't trust that it was entirely illegal in the country of origin for the Wii's it was made to affect. Then if you had a Korean Wii, that's where you hit the too bad so sad situation. Nintendo likely did not appreciate the practice, and moved to put an end to it by any means necessary. If it was illegal, they would not have done it. I'm not well versed in Korean law by any means, but it's really the only thing that makes sense.

The way Nintendo has the 3DS regions set up though, they will have troubles pinpointing specific 3DS' except by a country specified in the eshop. Even then, that isn't reliable. People could lie. People could sue.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but what is the relevance to the 3DS exactly??

Is it because the 3DS is region locked and you think Nintendo might brick region changed 3DS'?
I'm just saying that they got away with intentionally bricking via update before. However, they gave a (vague) warning ahead of time on the Wii, so it's not proof that they could do the same on the 3DS.
Australia

29/09/2009
(If you have received this notice before, please disregard the following information.)
Dear Customer,
Nintendo would like to inform you that a Wii Menu Update is now available. Select the UPDATE button on the lower right to update your console. You can also update by selecting Wii SYSTEM UPDATE in the Wii Settings.
IMPORTANT
When the Wii Menu is updated, unauthorised hardware and/or software modifications may be detected and unauthorised content may be removed as it may damage your console and/or cause interference with game play. Please note that the removal of unauthorised content may lead to immediate or delayed inoperability of your console. Nintendo cannot guarantee that unauthorised software of accessories will continue to function with the Wii console after this of future updates of the Wii Menu.
Note: If you have already updated your Wii console since 29 September 2009, you do not need to update again.
⊂Nintendo⊃
North America

29/09/2009
Wii Menu version 4.2 is now available for your Wii console. To update your Wii Menu to the latest version, please select the Update button at the bottom of the screen or select the System Update option in the Wii System Settings.
This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.
Because unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will also check for and automatically remove such save data or program files.
**Please note: If you've updated your Wii Menu after 9/29/09, you may not need to update again.
Thank you for updating your Wii console!
Nintendo
Japan

2009年09月29日
Wiiメニューを更新できます! 右下の「更新」ボタンを押して 本体を更新してください。
より快適にWiiをお楽しみ いただけるよう、動作品質を 改善しました。
■■重要■■■■■■■■■■■
通常の使用方法以外の方法で 作成された異常なセーブデータや チャンネル(改ざんされたデータ など)は、お客様のWii本体の故障 の原因となるおそれがあるため、 対策を行っています。 更新後は、異常な部分を含む セーブデータやチャンネルは 自動的に除去される場合が ありますのでご注意ください。 また、未承認ソフトや アクセサリーについて、 更新後の動作を保障できません。 なお、正しくご使用いただいて いる場合は、影響はありません。
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
※9月29日以降、すでに更新を  行われている方は、改めて  更新していただく必要は  ありません。
English Translation

September 29th, 2009
You can update the Wii Menu! Please update your console by pressing the "Update" button on the lower right. We have improved the performance so that you can enjoy a more pleasant time with your Wii.
■■Important■■■■■■■■
There is a possibility that abnormal save data created by means other than authorized can break down your Wii. Because of this, measures are taking place. Save data or channels that include irregular sections may be deleted after updating, so please be careful. Furthermore, we cannot guarantee the proper operation of unauthorized software and accessories after the update. There will be no effect if you have been using [your Wii] correctly.
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
※Those who have updated after September 29th do not need to update again.
Korea

한국닌텐도
2009년 9월 29일

Wii 본체를 업데이트할 수 있습니다! 오른쪽 아래의 「업데이트」버튼을 눌러 본체를 업데이트 해주십시오. 고객님께서 보다 쾌적하게 Wii를 이용하실 수 있도록 동작 품질을 개선하였습니다.
■■중요■■■■■■■■■■■
일반적인 사용 방법 이외의 방법으로 작성된 저장 데이터 및 채널(개조된 데이터 등)은 고객님의 Wii본체에 고장을 일으킬 우려가 있어 그에 따른 대책을 마련했습니다.
업데이트를 실행하면 이러한 문제가 있는 저장 데이터 및 채널이 자동삭제 될 수 있으므로 주의해 주십시오.
또한 승인되지 않은 소프트웨어 및 주변기기에 대하여, 업데이트 이후의 동작을 보증할 수 없습니다.
올바른 방법으로 사용하실 경우에는 이러한 내용에 해당되지 않습니다.
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
※9월 29일 이후에 이미 업데이트를 실행하신 분은 다시 업데이트를 하실 필요가 없습니다.
English Translation

Nintendo Korea
September 29, 2009

You can update your Wii console! Right below the "Update" button to update your console please. Use your Wii, you can be more comfortable to have improved the quality of work.
IMPORTANT ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■
Common use saved data created in other ways and channels (converted data, etc.) that your Wii console may cause a malfunction in the corresponding measures are taken there.
When you run the update with this problem, save the data and the channel can be deleted automatically, so be careful.
In addition, software and peripherals that are not approved for, since the behavior of the update can not be guaranteed.
If you are using the correct method does not apply to these details.
■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■
※ 9 월 29 days after you have already run the update If you do not need to update again.

United Kingdom

29/09/2009
(If you have received this notice before, please disregard the following information.)
Dear Customer,
Nintendo would like to inform you that a Wii Menu update is now available. Select the UPDATE button on the lower right to update your Wii Console. You can also update by selecting Wii SYSTEM UPDATE in the Wii Settings.
IMPORTANT
When the Wii Menu is updated, unauthorised hardware and/or modifications may be detected and unauthorised content may be removed as it may damage your console and/or cause interference with game play, Please note that the removal of unauthorised content may lead to immediate or delayed inoperability of your console. Nintendo cannot guarantee that unauthorised software or accessories will continue to function with the Wii console after this or future updates of the Wii Menu.
Note: If you have already updated your Wii console since 29 September 2009, you do not need to update again.
Nintendo
Germany

(Falls Sie diesen Hinweis bereits erhalten haben, können Sie die nachfolgenden Informationen ignorieren.)
Sehr geehrter Kunde,
ein Update des Wii-Menüs steht zu Ihrer Verfügung.
Um diese Update zu erhalten, aktivieren Sie bitte die UPDATE-Schaltfläche rechts unten auf dem Bildschirm oder wählen Sie in den Wii-Systemeinstellungen UPDATE DES Wii-SYSTEMS.
WICHTIG
Wenn das Update des Wii-Menüs ausgeführt wird, ist es möglich, das nicht autorisierte Hardware- und/oder Softwaremodifizierungen gefunden und nicht autorisierte Inhalte gelöscht werden, da sie Ihre Wii-Konsole beschädigen und/oder sich negativ auf das Spielerlebnis auswirken können. Bitte beachten Sie, dass das Entfernen unautorisierter Inhalte zu einem sofortigen oder späteren Ausfall der Konsole führen kann. Nintendo kann nicht garantieren, dass unautorisierte Software oder unautorisiertes Zubehör nach diesem oder zukünftigen Updates des Wii-Menüs mit dieser Wii-Konsole weiterhin verwendet werden kann.
Hinweis: Haben Sie seit dem 29. September 2009 bereits ein Update ausgeführt, benötigen Sie kein weiteres Update.
Nintendo
Latin American Spanish

La versión 4.2 del Menú de Wii ya está disponible para tu Consola Wii. Para actualizar tu Menú de Wii a la versión mas reciente, selecciona el botón "Actualización" que se ubica en la parte inferior de la pantalla, o elige la opción "Actualización de Wii" en la configuración de Wii.
Esta actualización contiene mejoras internas que no afectarán a las funciones existentes pero mejorarán el funcionamiento de la consola.
Debido a que las modificaciones no autorizadas a los archivos de guardado o de los programas pueden dañar el juego o la consola Wii, la actualización a la versión 4.2 revisará y borrará automáticamente dichos archivos.
    • Nota:
Si actualizaste tu Menú de Wii después del 29 de septimbre de 2009, puede que no tengas que actualizarlo otra vez.

¡Gracias por actualizar tu Consola Wii!
Nintendo
The warning seems to be quite vague only in the NA message. The translation are pretty clear cut, but they are translations....

Seriously, this is old stuff man, just read Rydian's thread and take a chill pill.

Beer helps :grog:
weed too

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
So, if this brick was completely provable, why did nothing come of it? I can only guess the Korea was one such country where bricking a device was not an illegal practice. Remember, I did not say it's illegal in all countries. Just many. There are still quite a few that fall outside the umbrella. With the 3DS though, these places are embraced under the umbrella of a small handful of regions, making it much harder for Nintendo to pull something like they did with Korean Wii's.

You know Wii hacking far better than I ever will, so I'll trust you on the point of the update. I don't trust that it was entirely illegal in the country of origin for the Wii's it was made to affect. Then if you had a Korean Wii, that's where you hit the too bad so sad situation. Nintendo likely did not appreciate the practice, and moved to put an end to it by any means necessary. If it was illegal, they would not have done it. I'm not well versed in Korean law by any means, but it's really the only thing that makes sense.

The way Nintendo has the 3DS regions set up though, they will have troubles pinpointing specific 3DS' except by a country specified in the eshop. Even then, that isn't reliable. People could lie. People could sue.
The reason they were cheaper was because Korea never got Gamecube games. Since the Wii was region locked, there was no GC support. They did have the hardware capability though, so once you region change it through hacking, it you could play GC games, in addition to all the other games that don't make it to Korea. It's understandable that it would piss Nintendo off. People were making money that they lost.

I imagine that the reason nobody could take legal action was related to Korean laws and/or the fact that the seller voided the warranty by region changing it.

@gloweyjoey: Like I said, this thread isn't about (or wasn't supposed to be about, lol) whether or not Nintendo can legally brick your 3DS. It was about who actually read the service agreement and who just skipped it. I always try to read them, but I've clearly gotten very lazy since I missed so many things during my original read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay