Do You Pay?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

GentleFist

i hate usenet, not because its bad or anything i wouldnt know since i dont use it

but the advertising kills me, especially the fake links which are actually links to a register page for usenet...

typical example:
slow download
highspeed download (actually usenet register link and not a download link)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just joined a new uploading site, now I don't pay for downloads, but they pay me!
yay.gif
Now that's what I call awesome!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GentleFist said:
i hate usenet, not because its bad or anything i wouldnt know since i dont use it

but the advertising kills me, especially the fake links which are actually links to a register page for usenet...

typical example:
slow download
highspeed download (actually usenet register link and not a download link)

Chances are you are speaking of the "usenext" adverts- they are widely and intensely disliked among the usenet crowd (much like ISPs provide access to the internet newsgroup providers provide access to newsgroups) for many reasons including those ads, poor cancellation options, less than stellar service, less than stellar servers and it goes on). A decent adblocking setup should sort them though.

BT does have a half decent (a little shy of 200k/second) usenet hookup through giganews though but I do pay for a usenet (got to love pricing in dollars) although strictly speaking usenet is an internet service like email when you break it down (not saying stuff does not go on there) rather than a file hosting site.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No but I will probably when I get my own place, only for a one off week or so every now and then. Megaupload is awesome I got up to 1.2 mb/s the other day and that is a LOT for the UK.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kind of. Well, my brother does and I use it.

Honestly... you cannot go back once you have it.

A Wii game that is ~5GB (Whatever is the size) downloads in about an hour to two hours. Also, it downloads straight from the servers so you're not seeding it.

Back when we used torrents, we would always get e-mails from our internet provider to stop downloading stuff, but since we got that over a year ago, we haven't received one.

Another great thing about it is if it's like a virus or something, it gets taken down really fast.

gameboy13

Orange and fluffy since 1995.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, in any way possible, I try to download games from Mediafire because they allow download accelerators. If my PC isn't too slow, I can reach speeds of about 1-1.5 MB/s.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
Kind of. Well, my brother does and I use it.

Honestly... you cannot go back once you have it.

A Wii game that is ~5GB (Whatever is the size) downloads in about an hour to two hours. Also, it downloads straight from the servers so you're not seeding it.

Back when we used torrents, we would always get e-mails from our internet provider to stop downloading stuff, but since we got that over a year ago, we haven't received one.

Another great thing about it is if it's like a virus or something, it gets taken down really fast.
a few private torrent sites do the same thing for free

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I used to use a certain usenet server with it's own Java cliend and search engine, but I can get everything through torrents now.

BTW Usenet is awesome if youre trying to fill up your 360 collection fast.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main issue with bittorrent (and other broadcast p2p protocols) is that they're insecure by definition. "Solutions" such as PeerGuardian and forcing SSL client-side are nothing but snake oil. Any watchdog group for any company can easily monitor and record your activity, which depending on your country/province of residence can be a very bad thing.

This is one of the primary reasons I pay an (irrelevant amount of) money for usenet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1